Forums > Social Chat > How long did you play Poi/Staff before you lit them/it up?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
HatsuyukiSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
I am curious, how long did you play Poi or Staff before your first burn?

I am playing Poi for a few months now (or about a year) and I still feel like a total newb. I absolutely dont' feel comfortable with the idea of lighting up my Poi right now. (Even if I owned Fire Poi). I know that I want to light'em up one day, but that's still in the future.

So I want to know how long did it take you? Did you just start off and played with fire from the beginning? Or did you take your time? How did you feel about it?

Thanks for your insights! hug

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
it's inevitable you will burn yourself or singe some hair at some point. i singe my hair more often but i now tend to wear a hat so that gets singed and not my hair ubblol

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
About 3 and a half months.

The Cambodian girl who showed me some first moves and the gear recommended 3 months before lighting up. Backhome, I built some tennisball poi and after half a year of them lying in the cupboard I seriously started practising and learned the basic moves, indoors over winter.

I lit up first time in April and played all moves I knew on the very first burn, including turns, fountain, buzzaw, flower and even my crocked btb weave.

Playing with a hood-Sweatshirt protects you well against the flame and its THE SOUND that is addicting as much as the view ...

Dont leave it for too long and no need to build up sweat ...

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
I was spinning for about 3 weeks before I lit up. I was, however, being taught by a proffesional group of fire jugglers (flame) in that time, but did my first burn at home with somewhat nervous parents looking on from the balcony above.

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
I was about the same, rushed it a little but didnt try anything stupid.
your obvously starting to get the itch so why not light up and just spin forwards or weave to break the initial barrier.
its a great experiance the first time, even if you dont do anything much, just have someone nearby just in case, and then at least you know what to expect.

Oh and dont light your glow balls, doubley dangerous to the southern area! biggrin - eek - censored - help - redface

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

HatsuyukiSILVER Member
37 posts

Posted:
@sketch

ubblol Don't worry I certainly won't light the led glow balls *g* they are pretty enough without adding fire wink

And actually right now I'm not to keen on playing with fire. Don'nt know how to explain... hmmm

But I LUV hearing about your experiences ^_^

As for now I'll stick to my pink fluffys - I dig those tongue

I don't suffer from insanity - I enjoy every minute of it.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
2 hrs devil and I whacked myself badly

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I want to start spinning fire. Have only really been spinning propperly for about 4 months, but feel I'm confident enough to spin the basics smile

Also, I'm lucky enough to know a couple more experienced spinners who have used fire a lot, so if they are willing, will definitely do it under their supervision smile

It's interesting to see other peoples experiences, and how quickly you lot got into it.
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1245810993)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i practiced with my 6 foot broom stick for about a months before i built my first fire staff. Once my fire staff was built it was hard to not burn it, about a day after i had built it i did my first burn, using ronsonal...zippo fluid...it was a pretty weak burn and flames didn't last long.

it was a couple weeks after that that i got to use Citronella oil and did a real burn. I was surprised how comfortable i was with the fire...doing just about all the contact tricks i knew at that point.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm....

I started spinning in July/August 2006. My first firespin was early February 2007.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

cleezyBRONZE Member
journeyman
58 posts

Posted:
ive been been spining for a little over 3 months now and my first time lighting up was last sunday! my troupe said as long i was comfortable and i was pretty confident that i could spin my moves without catching my self on fire... the only to 2 things that surprised me was how pretty the flame was, for a sec i just wanted to spin the same circle and watch the pretty flame lol...and the second was when i went into stalls the flames got a litlle bigger, other than that it was great smile imready to light again because i can't remember to much from the first time because i was so excited smile AND THE SOUND IS AMAZING!!!

Sir Nuggit IIThe sequel
26 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, about a year for poi but that was more a case of me wanting to be any good more than anything. But staff, I was carrying a fellow HoPPer's staff to the spinning point and was just playing with it - by the time we got in to location I was a pro (well, not literally) so (under supervision) I practiced with fire - what a rush.

After recently returning from some time off, I'm going to try and get to a high enough standard again so I can then pick up another set of chains and maybe even a staff wink

I think it's all about "YOU" and when "YOU'RE" ready. And it's always good to have great people around you for the first few times, for safety and confidence.

Pull out my pin, throw me in to a room and see what happens!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I think I'd been spinning poi about two months before I lit up- with a few friends who were also spinning fire. Didn't try much though, just the few moves I really had down..

I did have one drunken attempt at staff (first amd pretty well only time I've picked one up I reckon) a couple of weeks later though, which probably wasn't a good idea.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
I have been spinning for about 3 years but took a break for about a year. I still haven't lit up though. I'm still not quite comfortable with the thought of fire whizzibg all around me. I think once I get more time to practice it won't take long for me to get a set.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

812spinnerstranger
4 posts

Posted:
This might sound stupid but i spun for about 2 months before my first burn. But i did spin every day for those couple months, so i was comfortable with the few tricks i attempted.

philisweatlySILVER Member
life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
I waited a year before my first burn. kinda like meditating to prolong an orgasm. WORTH IT.

haha

brennanhigdonstranger
4 posts

Posted:
About six months, Then I made my friend come out and watch me and promise to put me out if I lit myself on fire. That seems like a long time ago,

CrazyMeBRONZE Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
this sounds dumb to but i waited 3 weeks, and i only had one week of solid everyday pratice, i wasent even expecting to spin and this was actully just tuesday night lol but my friend just handed me the staff and said i know you can do it and i was confident enough, i did 5 burns that night and didnt burn myself once, only dropped it like 2 times and i have to say it is amazing and very much so ADDICTING grin

Pie Cake Spork Avocado Guacamole Cheese Cake FIRE!

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I lit up when I was ready. That's always a safe answer, it took me about 6 months to fully understand what I was doing. I've known fast learners whos first burn was within 2 months. Go with what makes you comfortable. Its hard to find someone professional to spot you, its like breaking the first rule of fight club.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

Rich AlexanderGOLD Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
I lit my friends poi about 1.5 months after started, just doing moves that i felt comfortable with. I wanted to try it because it was a entirely different experience from LED or sock, the sound is beautiful.

We must let go of the life we have planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us. -Joseph Campbell

Raoul_HagenbeekGOLD Member
Pyromancer extraordinair
88 posts

Posted:
GOds, all these sensible people...

My first fire was with a workshop. They where clubs and we learned some simple tricks during the day and had some practice with firebreathing. That night we lit up and I felt such a rush, the fire, the twirling, the breathing... it was grand.

So next I branched out to the staff, I spun it for about 2 or three weeks before lighting up. (true I have had some history with staff fighting, so I wasn't a compleet NooB.

My poi where even more crazy, I bought them, did some simple excersizes and lit up the same night... True I could only do a simple weave, a butterfly and some other simple things. But when you think of it, they aren't so different from clubs. and with those I had a few years of practice. Not to mention the experience with live fire ;-)

On a side note, I wouldn't advice people to do the same. So far I haven't been burned a single time, but men, if one of those first times had gone wrong....

What is life, without a little risk!

XiuhtecuhtliSILVER Member
Everlearner
79 posts

Posted:
about a moth after i started spinning..
but that's just because i didn't have the right material to burn
I light my fire poi right after building them.
I've never gotten burned, but i startted learning really slow, since I was too cautios

Page: