Blue sunshinestranger
24 posts

Posted:
So, I've been workin on horizantal and vetical stalls recently and i've seen some same direction ones and some opposite ones. In particular the opposite stall with both poi above a shoulder at the same time, all so i've seen some opposite split time stalls that are freaking crazy!! i've been gettin the same direction one slowly but any advice that might help me? Besides practice!lol yes
i was tryin to find a vid but couldn't, sorry about the spelling thanks ya'll!!!

Trance is the motion-
Check out for events going on all around New Mexico, we have a busy summer ahead of us!
WOOT!~~~

RivesGOLD Member
Nothing but circles and smiles...
118 posts

Posted:
my favorite double stall is a reverse butterfly stall as there going down. The poi pass each other in the middle and look like they are shooting through your hand. The "aw" factor of this move increases exponentially if you step forward with one leg and allow the poi to stall under you legs.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Excuse me if I drop my own video in here but...

I think its fairly decent, look out for the 'scissor action' comment I make in relation to vertical stalls, the same is relevant to horizontals.

I like same direction, split time horizontal stalls, though. They're fun... especially when combined with plane changes. Mmmm.... plane changes. I've also got a plane change vid as a response to the one I linked.

I don't understand your stall, Rives... where do you stall the poi? Is it coming down in the middle, making it a partial line isolation?

hug

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
If you are indeed talking about the split time horizontal butterfly stall.. try that so that when you reach the stall points you've got one head out to one side of your body and the other head in front of your body, right next to your opposite handle.

That position is very easily possible from same direction, same time swing into horizontal stall.

Good luck.

hug

Blue sunshinestranger
24 posts

Posted:
Thanks mother natures son, it's nice to put a face to the name, your video on hybrid butterfly flowers helped me mucho!!!
Don't have the time right now to check out the other vid in detail but thanks for the advice, gotta go to a mountain gathering!

Trance is the motion-
Check out for events going on all around New Mexico, we have a busy summer ahead of us!
WOOT!~~~

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I've had a few people say that, but thats probably one of my least favourite tutorial videos. I'd always meant to do that one better, but never found the time.

It might be interesting to note that line isolations and stalls are very much linked. If you do a stall and then come out of the stall in the same direction while keeping head point isolated, then when the poi begins its journey once more it will be one half of a point isolation, put a stall point at the other end and its a full line isolation.
[Old link] is a link to a post about line isos I threw up in the I just learned a new move thread if you were further interested in the line iso concept.

hug

Blue sunshinestranger
24 posts

Posted:
Oh FO SHO!!! it's like when you push the poi over to stall, keep pushing or pulling in the same direction and you kind of draw a line with your hand in what ever direction you want! haven't really been trying this to much.... YET! Aslo on the butterfly stalls i've been working on i'm getting to the point where i can do them in the wall plane(standing in front of the spinning poi) or the wheel plane(spinning at your side) but still haven't gotten it to go above my shoulders, yet! I like this song that has this deep voice that says
"Get, Get, Stronger, Stronger."
It's what we do!

Trance is the motion-
WOOT!~~~

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Actually, I meant this sort of thing, blue sunshine. smile

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Must play with those actually.

Any interesting applications, offhand?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Theres this for now... [Old link]

I'll get around to doing a better writeup sometime.

Its also interesting to note that at each of the line iso points are where its simplest to switch between planes. One shape is the diamond, or the crossed diamond... this shape should actually be possible in three dimensions, though the visual effect of a horizontal plane line isolation is probably not worth it.

Hand circles are all that make the line that moves horizontally in front of your body different from the vertical variety.

Note: I have not really tried any horizontally oriented line isolations yet, its in the realm of theory for me right now, I doubt I'd pursue it but it is something interesting to note.

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... Interesting....

Blue sunshinestranger
24 posts

Posted:
So is this expanded line iso like a cat eye? crazy i'm just starting to mess around with these, could you give an example of how you would incorparate this move with 2 poi? all this info is food for my brain!!

Trance is the motion-
WOOT!~~~

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
A line iso is similar to a cat-eye, except that the poi moves in a line. Which sounds really silly....

Um....

Basically, the poi head moves in a line, rather than a circle. An easy example is to simply stall out to the sides without letting the poi swing in between. So it forms more of a line.
You will find that you have to move your hands in an arc.

Easier to show than explain, sadly. Either that or my explanation really sucks.

Blue sunshinestranger
24 posts

Posted:
not at all!! i understand the concept but all it really takes is some practice to better understand it! i've been trying some kind of line iso flower, tryin to keep the poi from making a full around loop and just going in and exiting on the same line, and from butterfly i like to act like im going to do a horizantal stall then bring my arm up more to whip it around in the same direction.... kinda the same thing? i'm going to go try some expanded one after my last final in math today!!! time to celebrate!
EDITED_BY: Blue sunshine (1249495574)

Trance is the motion-
WOOT!~~~

Blue sunshinestranger
24 posts

Posted:
Oh oh oh!! i think i see the difference in the expanded line iso and the cat eye!! is the cat eye in a smaller circle giving it more of a bounce? the expanded line iso is more extended for lack of a better term, and the top point and bottom point are the "line" that the poi should follow every time, si or no?
EDITED_BY: Blue sunshine (1249495755)

Trance is the motion-
WOOT!~~~

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
A line iso is just that. The poi moves in a line.

AlienJon made a bunch of videos regarding line isos. See here.

Much better than trying to describe. The thing about these are that they are not limited to just up and down, as is shown in the [Old link] that MNS posted.

Better I hope?

Blue sunshinestranger
24 posts

Posted:
This is what i wanted when i started this thread

and i've learned so much more!
always and forever!
and those vids are so awesome!!! they really help alot crazy
EDITED_BY: Blue sunshine (1249511219)

Trance is the motion-
WOOT!~~~

bjrcboyBRONZE Member
journeyman
74 posts

Posted:
One way that really helped me smooth out my stalls was to put my keys on the end of my practice poi. Then I worked on making sure the keys didn't jingle as I stalled and changed direction. Really helped with the smoothness of my stalls(especially horizontal stalls)

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I usually do stalls with my finger through the keyring and just using the keys to point in the direction I feel like stalling in.

Thats a good idea for training stalls, helps you make sure you're removing the momentum at the right pace and it means you keep the cord tension at a reasonable level.

smile

hug