Forums > Social Discussion > 64 words for Aung San Suu Kyi

Login/Join to Participate

skribleBRONZE Member
155 posts

Posted:
Hi All,

Just wanted to ask you guys a favour but first let me give you some background

Aung San Suu Kyi (pronounced Ong San Soo Chee), Burma's pro-democracy leader and Nobel Peace laureate, symbolises the struggle of Burma's people to be free. She has been detained for over 13 years by the Burmese regime for campaigning for human rights and democracy in Burma.

Recent developments
She is currently facing trial in Burma. She was on arrested on May 14th and is now being held in Insein Prison, a prison notorious for its terrible conditions and horrific treatment of prisoners. Aung San Suu Kyi is being tried for breaking the terms of her house arrest, which forbids visitors, after an American man, John Yettaw, swam across Inya Lake and refused to leave her house. Her trial began on 18th May.

Aung San Suu Kyi has committed no crime, she is the victim of crime, yet is currently facing a sentence of 3-5 years. The United Nations has ruled that Aung San Suu Kyi's detention is illegal under international law, and also under Burmese law. The United Nations Security Council has also told the dictatorship that they must release Aung San Suu Kyi.

Political prisoners in Burma are routinely subjected to torture and often denied medical treatment. There are serious concerns for Aung San Suu Kyi's health in these conditions, particularly as she has recently been seriously ill.

About Aung San Suu Kyi
She was born on June 19th, 1945 to Burma's independence hero, Aung San, who was assassinated when she was only two years old.

Aung San Suu Kyi was educated in Burma, India, and the United Kingdom. While studying at Oxford University, she met Michael Aris, a Tibet scholar who she married in 1972. They had two sons, Alexander and Kim. On March 27 1999, while Aung San Suu Kyi was in Burma, Michael Aris died of cancer in London. He had petitioned the Burmese authorities to allow him to visit Suu Kyi one last time, but they had rejected his request. He had not seen her since a Christmas visit in 1995. The government always urged Suu Kyi to join her family abroad, but she knew that she would not be allowed to return.

Aung San Suu Kyi had returned to Burma in 1988 to nurse her dying mother and was immediately plunged into the country's nationwide democracy uprising. Joining the newly-formed National League for Democracy (NLD), Suu Kyi gave numerous speeches calling for freedom and democracy. The military regime responded to the uprising with brute force, killing up to 5,000 demonstrators. Unable to maintain its grip on power, the regime was forced to call a general election in 1990.

As Aung San Suu Kyi began to campaign for the NLD, she and many others were detained by the regime. Despite being held under house arrest, the NLD went on to win a staggering 82% of the seats in parliament. The regime never recognized the results of the election.

Aung San Suu Kyi has been in and out of arrest ever since. She was held under house arrest from 1989-1995, and again from 2000-2002. She was again arrested in May 2003 after the Depayin massacre, during which up to 100 of her supporters were beaten to death by the regime's militia. Her phone line has been cut, her post is intercepted and National League for Democracy volunteers providing security at her compound were removed in December 2004.

She has won numerous international awards, including the Nobel Peace Prize, the Sakharov Prize from the European Parliament and the United States Presidential Medal of Freedom. She has called on people around the world to join the struggle for freedom in Burma, saying "Please use your liberty to promote ours".

To mark her 64th birthday (19/06) and more importantly to support Aung San Suu Kyi a website has been made so people all over the world can add 64 words as a message of support.

All i ask is that you visit https://64forsuu.com
and add your 64 words.

Thank You

EDITED_BY: skrible (1244640421)

this apple juice is a bit milky isnt it?!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
done smile thanks for posting this hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

skribleBRONZE Member
155 posts

Posted:
no thank you for writing something hug
EDITED_BY: skrible (1244645623)

Danny5GOLD Member
I've got too many scars to say i'm good at this!
10 posts

Posted:
It's great to see this travelling through so many forums. Aung San Suu Kyi means so much to the Burmese people. I only hope the publicity can one day create real change for an oppressed nation.

skribleBRONZE Member
155 posts

Posted:
ditto i will carry on passing this message to anyone who will listen, i haven't been aware of this for very long but it struck a cord in me and people power is everything!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I'm quite uncertain about how much effect this publicity will really have... the Burmese junta is quite hard headed against international criticism, as long as they continue to pour in their money...

I received a message asking me to change my FB profile picture to raise more awareness... initially I didn't feel so good about it but now I will do that for this period around her birthday...

one small present that I can make to a heroic - and unfortunately tragic person... smile

doesn't matter whether or not it really has the desired effect... I admit, it makes me feel good about myself smile

Danny5GOLD Member
I've got too many scars to say i'm good at this!
10 posts

Posted:
This publicity is all we can do from our position. Getting in isn't easy!
I saw a screening of Burma VJ on Tuesday and it really emphasised how awful things were, and I hear it's even worse since Nargis.
Please everyone keep supporting "our cause"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
as long as governments are still dealing with the junta nothing is going to change...

according to this report in the Strait Times of May this year

Originally Posted By: STBANGKOK - MYANMAR'S foreign exchange reserves are at a record US$3.6 billion (S$5.25 billion) but the ruling junta has not used it to help the people and the country's economic prospects are 'bleak", a report said on Monday.

The Financial Times quoted a unreleased annual International Monetary Fund report as saying that Myanmar's strong natural gas exports have pushed reserves to their current unprecedented level.

according to this wiki article

the main trade partners (inofficial numbers) are

Thailand 48.4%
India 12.6%
China 5.2% and
Japan 5.1%

This unverified report also paints some picture

Non-Https Image Link

shedding a strange light on Thai and Indian - but maybe also our own countries - foreign policies. frown

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1247915147)