J_scapBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
i have been thinking lately of diferent poi heads and what woudl be easy for people to find lying around there house, so i thought of the coke can head,

drill a hole across where the can starts to go inward, string chain through there and use a swivel.

the good thing about this is that you can fill it with almost anything you want, like kevlar wick, led lights, or even just regular news paper. and you can drill holes in it so if you wanted fire you can drill a certain amount of holes so you get the burn you want.

now i know nothing about fire poi, im just throwing stuff out there. well that was an example give me some poi heads you have come up with.

p.s. please refrain from the clasic tennis ball with an eye screw in it.

EDITED_BY: J_scap (1247023580)

81LLBRONZE Member
pant crafting
97 posts

Posted:
hi. the last set i made are 400mm long snakes - of inch thick rope, but instead of tying a knot at the end, i wrapped about half a metre of 80mm wick and wired it on. they make a LOT of fire! overkill even. and theyre too long for me! i gotta fix that problem. i recommend em only for advanced/brave/stupid spinners!
not sure if this is what you meant by 'concept' poi heads, but there you go. ive never seen em before!

No air drumming - Bruford could change the timing up so fast you could snap your wrist!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
A metal can with kevlar inside?
Sounds an excellent way to get some nasty hot metal burns. Please don't try it.
I'm not sure what LED lights would acheive either- what are you thinking- having them sticking out of holes in the can? They'd surely break if you hit anything (and you will), and they'd be very large and horribly unwieldy..

Sorry to be so cynical, but I really can't see can poi taking off wink I've mainly experimented with different fabric poi.. I wouldn't recommend trying to make your own fire set if you've not used a good set before and thought very carefully.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

J_scapBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
im just throwing ideas out there, not saying that there perfect or 1000% safe but just ideas

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I tried tieing old rags to chains, fabric finger loops from a old ripped up t-shirt and soaking them in white spirits a long time ago... It didn't work.

I ended up with burning rags wrapped around my arms smile

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
They're not even 10% safe.. and they wouldn't even look good, as you'd only have a bit of flame visible out of the holes- though I suppose the tin could start glowing red hot if you had enough fuel (or silly enough fuel) in there, as it's only very thin metal..

I'm mainly posting in case someone comes across that who doesn't realise that it is not a decent budget alternative to good bought (or home made) fire poi and tries it.. Also, we have had one or two people recently who seemed to be posting on here with seemingly the sole idea of persuading someone else to play with their incredibly dangerous idea, and film it..

Sorry, but making fire poi by filling a tin can full of kevlar (or newspaper), punching holes in the side of it then setting it alight is an idea that shouldn't be so much 'thrown out there' as 'thrown away and never mentioned again'.. tongue2

My first attempt at making fire poi was dangerous enough.. I tried to wire kevlar rope (that being all I had) onto the outside of a steel core, which was badly tied onto a chain. It didn't work, it was liable to fall to bits at any minute, and I never tried to use them lit..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'd like to add my semi-official voice here and say categorically that that's a terrible idea.

Aside from the huge risk of serious burn from the metal, aluminium cans aren't strong, especially when heated so you risk seriously injuring a by-stander or burning something down.

Cut/drilled cans are also VERY sharp so you can add some possible lacerations to the mix as well.

If you want to make really cheap fire poi, use towelling and chain.
But for something as dangerous as fire, it's worth either forking out for professionally made eqiupment or getting enough experience from existing products to make an educated attempt at a viable alternative.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

J_scapBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
ok now thats understandable but as stated in my first post.

Originally Posted By: J_scapwell that was an example give me some poi heads you have come up with.

thats all i was trying to get out of this thread, ideas. not trying to get people to do my idea just have them tell me what they have made for poi heads.

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
The only way it could possibly work, is if you wrapped the cans in kevlar...almost like paint can poi. But the metal in an average drinks can is so thin, it would not be safe at all. As has been mentioned...budget fire poi are generally very unsafe and it is definitely a better idea to fork out that little extra money for the correct equipment.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

J_scapBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
yeah makes sense now, but i just thought of a new idea for led poi, ghost poi. a small but still fully functional pair of poi. i actually dabbled a bit when i had glowstick poi, i put hair ties on the handle end and strung a glowstick on the other end, wound up with something pretty nice. just a little too short, they also took up no space in my pockets because they were necklaces

ryan crownoverstranger
7 posts

Posted:
i had a idea for a light weight large flamed set of heads using 1/8th or 1/4 kelar rope and braiding them have 3 strains that will go down almost like a glow stick globe lanter almost like cage poi with a half inch peice of tubing for the base and to keep tension

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I have seen a very small set (a bit bigger than a postage stamp) with lead shot inside. They also had tails. Quite nice to spin with and fairly flat, they were small enough to fit in my pocket easily.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland