Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
Hey, was wondering what possible problems there are in including staffs and poi in luggage and getting past airport customs from the UK to Australia with 'em safely.

Sock and Glow poi I imagine shouldn't be too much of a problem, but is there any way of explaining staff so you aren't told off for trying to bring a weapon into/out of the country

Just a dancer in the dark

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
There's a few threads about this if you search, I can't be bothered looking for them so I'll say what i remember:

Staffs should be sent through luggage (mark them as fragile so hopefully the airport people wont bend them). Poi heads should be seperate from chains.
If airport staff asks about the poi/staff say it's juggling equipment, as the word fire scares the hell out of them. wrap fire heads in plastic wrap so they don't smell as bad.

smile

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
right, the few threads I could find mostly covered poi and mentioned staff only vaguely. They were also back in 01 and I'm certain airports are more paranoid now tongue2

Thanks for the info

Just a dancer in the dark

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
only traveled in the US but....

I bought a length of PVC pipe, wide enough for my staff to go in, and 2 end caps. I glued one end cap on the tube and screwed on a strap to the tube. Then i wrote my address on the tube. Drop yer staff in the tube and put teh other cap on, it should fit very tightly, You now have a staff carrier!!! the tube will keep yer staff from bending and odds are they wont try to pry off one of the caps to see whats inside.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Of course your mileage may vary and if you are concerned about losing your toys best bet is to not take them. If you know yer destination you can fed ex yer stuff a couple days before you get there

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I got my staffbag in Bangkok, containing a note: "Dear customer, we had to open your bag to make sure you're not carrying prohibited items... blablabla"

Your bags will be screened, no matter what. The heads will always look suspicious, as they appear on the screen (kevlar is denser than other (regular) fabric)...

I never wrapped my heads but made sure I lit them before travelling and let them get enough air to loose the smell...

I never mention "fire" when asked.

I always had to check them into "oversize".

Not sure why poi-heads and chains need to be seperated, couldn't think of a reason why (as check-in baggage)...

The plastic tube is a great tip, yet so far my staffs had been built solid enough to withstand anything - when checked "oversize" it's handloaded anyway... unless you got short or collapsible staff, your bag will never appear on the belt.

FedExing your staff might get you in trouble if there is nobody at destination instructed to receive and sign for your stuff, so be careful with this one... (they might get "RTS" returned to sender and if there is also nobody, your stuff will be caught up in the middle - if not be lost)... if you opt for courier service, you might want to check with the carrier and inform yourself about "worst case scenarios"

Good luck

btw this would be better suited in the "Help" section wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I think people say to disconnect the poi heads and chains because that way they are much less like weapons

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
get yer point - I'm missing it on check-in luggage tho - unless that's a flight back in time wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink