Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
Hey, was practising doing the Butterfly today and noticed that I had a very, very bad habit of the poi colliding and flying in different directions. Thankfully none painful

The cause of this is that fact my poi are forever spinning diagonal to my body I think, so basically I was wondering if you guys had any tips keeping planes straight and under control

Just a dancer in the dark

IceAngelSILVER Member
41 posts

Posted:
Practicing side-on in front of a mirror or big window can help. That way you can see your planes bending outwards & try to force them back in again.

One hand at a time is useful too (in case your weaker hand is letting you down)

Try both forwards & backwards butterfly so you don't get bored & don't end up really good at one and not the other. you'll probably find one slightly easier.

Keeping up consistent practice will quickly improve it for you smile

good luck

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Try this tutorial, Seaspray.

Though, if your planes are 100% perfect and 100% straight they should collide because the heads will want to take up the same space at the bottom and top. This could happen if your poi are both spinning on exactly the same plane in a butterfly regardless of whether or not that plane is straight in relation to your body or not.

While you're doing the butterfly, I find its best to have one hand over the other one, with the hand on top slightly further forward than the one on bottom.

I'd say that this is likely more the issue than your planes.

Gooooood luck! grin

hug

bentforkxGOLD Member
Should I be spinning around my poi, or should my poi be spinning around me???
42 posts

Posted:
I like to face a large wall (preferably with out windows OR pictures) and seeing how close I can get to it while practicing wall plane skills like butterflies, as you get closer you will start to hear your poi rubbing against the wall. this project helps you determine where your plane is moved away from flat range.
Hope this works

Spinning makes the world go round

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
try reading this: tribes.tribe.net/poinewbies/thread/2f4890f1-97fd-4702-9d29-1ef5798e02c9

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: bentforkxI like to face a large wall (preferably with out windows OR pictures) and seeing how close I can get to it while practicing wall plane skills like butterflies, as you get closer you will start to hear your poi rubbing against the wall. this project helps you determine where your plane is moved away from flat range.
Hope this works

This is the method I have used... Every time I learn something in wallplane I will try it up against a well... It's a little frustrating at first, but after a short time you will start too see an improvment smile

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
remember though what Stewart mentioned above, that the two planes of your poi are in actuality very rarely parallel. especially when they are on the same side of you body and even more especially when they are in opposites. so spinning you poi in front of you against a wall could possibly miss lead you since they will more often then not need to be slightly perpendicular or offset in some way.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
^_^ I'm ua not ew, sorry for being a stickler.

You are quite right though.

Corridors are quite good for getting stuff right, hip reels and whatever else. Sometimes even tighter spaces can be nice.

But its not like I play in there, its just a test.

hug

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Partly it depends in which sense they're "diagaonal" to your body.

If they're slanting in towards you at the bottom, a quick fix is often to raise your hands up a bit higher - above navel height is a good starting point, and also make sure your posture is nice and straight - many newbies get into the habit of looking down into their poi which bends the planes into their legs.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Seaspraystranger by the day
924 posts

Posted:
awesome, thanks for all the tips. I certainly hadn't expected such a response so fast.

The posture thing is probably something I shall need to watch very closely I suspect. I'm a master of the teenage slouch tongue2

Just a dancer in the dark

Wraith_DividendSILVER Member
Bunny Bane
205 posts
Location: i cant see because my head is up my posteria, Engl...

Posted:
i just realised that durbs burns toast.........this upsets wraith

but on topic....thanks guys this has helped me too smile

if life is for love then to love is to live
-
a quote from me!
-
god i love me
-
and i while typing this im just itching to get back to my toast
-
YAY TTTTOOOOAAAASSSSTTTTTT!!!!!!!!
-
oh and by the way you just lost the game

hooza angelSILVER Member
Momma Hooza
24 posts

Posted:
does ny1 kno if u can do a 180 degree turn while doin a butterfly? i hav tried a few times and thought bout it but cant quite figure out how u could pull this off.

thirteenBRONZE Member
The Death Card
195 posts

Posted:
so funny you ask, I just learned that tonight!

how I learned it is this: from the inward butterfly, bring your hands apart so you're doing same-time opposites on the wall plane. from there, bring your right poi over to the right side of your body and let your left poi follow. at that point you'll be in same-time opposites on a wall plane again, but going outward instead. from there you simply bring your hands together into the outward butterfly.

I think you could do that without taking your hands apart into same-time opposites on the wall plane and just do a 180 from inward to outward butterfly, but I haven't tried it yet - I learned way too much tonight already.

The dawn has come
And the wine will run
And the song must be sung
And the flowers are melting
In the sun

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
It is. Probably easier with a long-arm butterfly though. An inwards butterfly will become outwards and vice versa. I suspect this is helped (made almost trvial) if you can already thread the needle both ways, since you have a better chance of getting back into a butterfly after pulling arms apart.

I do it via the same way I do butterfly weaves, so that might be helpful as well.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

hooza angelSILVER Member
Momma Hooza
24 posts

Posted:
idk butterfly weaves, but i can do extentions and ttn (but still needs work), i will hav to think on this one, its easier if i can picture how to do the move. i wonder if it would be easier if i could move from side 2 side? thx guys.
EDITED_BY: hooza angel (1303526212)