Forums > Help! > When your fire spinning hobby turns into a part time business

Login/Join to Participate

brennanhigdonstranger
4 posts

Posted:
The fire spinning hobby has turned into a part time business. So what am I up to these days? Well I am planning, demonstrations for the local fire marshals, buying insurance, figuring actual production costs for the materials needed to build equipment. Making sure everything conforms to NFPA 160 for class A devices. Writing people to get permission to use their fire safety training video's in the safety workshops we will have to offer to the public. And trying to gain permits and book gigs for next summer. All when I can't even practice without hitting my pregnant belly and while I live in a town where a sparkler is illegal. I guess It only seems ridiculous at the moment. Come this fall I will be able to practice again and by spring I will be able to use fire again. Just seems like a long way away from here in my current state. Anyone have any advice on how not to learn to hate fire spinning?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I find it hard to understand how you can be planning to go thru all these steps so that you can preform for money for something that you don;t love...

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, first thing I thought was "Well I think you're in the wrong place... I doubt many people here have much trouble not hating whirly whirlying."

Edit: I read it that way but got caught up on the word hate while posting. I could understand not really loving it so much anymore, but hate???

Well, if I were to answer how to keep the love... how about keeping on practicing for fun... not mapping routines, not performing, not even looking for new things (Unless thats what you enjoy) just having a play as you would if you had never even dreamed of doing it for cash. Good luck
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1247159380)
EDIT_REASON: The post below.

hug

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Er - re-read guys:
"Anyone have any advice on how not to learn to hate fire spinning?"
which is a double negative... i.e. I read it as being a "how do you keep the love of the hobby when it turns into work"

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
shocked! Gone! Shifted into the edit of the post two stories up! smile
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1247159573)

hug

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Getting fed up with fire spinning does happen if all you do is work with it. You end up spinning the same things that you know will get a reaction from a crowd and it starts to feel a bit too much like work.

The way i've found to deal with this is to get into multiple props. I really enjoy club juggling now mainly because it isn't something that i perform with. I also try to make sure i have a *play* with all my props at least once a week rather than working on whatever move i'm trying to get at the time, this helps keep the love for that prop going. Also playing with moves you wouldn't attempt on stage or on a gig is good, keeps your performance separate from your play.

"Don't do it naked!"

brennanhigdonstranger
4 posts

Posted:
Thank you Sandy yours has been the only helpful post. Really I have decided its not spinning I hate its all the hassle. I live in Eastern Washington Sate in the USA where a sparkler is illegal. Can't practice in the privacy of your own back yard with out an officer of the people showing up. SO its always a game of C.Y.A. So I decided if its not going to be me to pave the way then who? I am torn about that too. On the one hand the key to over coming fear is exposure to the unknown (in this town it's fire performance) but on the other hand the more people who take up the art the more our lovely government will try to regulate it. Not sure at this point if more regulation will be easier to live with or not. But currently because no one has ever seen anything like what I do there are no laws to govern it. This has made its own hassles. Certainty doesn't stop the officials from showing up just to find out if they can arrest me or not. So off I go...to introduce the fire safety community to the art of fire spinning.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Good luck.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
I like Sandy's advice. It keeps things new and interesting. I'm absolute rubbish at hoop dance but its so much fun! So

Don't mind me, just passing through.