Forums > Other Toys > 9 Ring broadsword or normal?

Login/Join to Participate

ChimearaSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
Hey, I'm almost old enough to own a sword, which most people think is kinda usless, but i firtwirl alot and am interested in making some fireswords, 2 to be exact. I was wondering if their were some expirienced people out their who could give me some advice; should i get 9 ring broadswords (they have rings that make it sound cool and are larger) or just normal broardswords (small, cheaper and don't make much sound). As either performers yourselves or from an audinces point of veiw, which would be better?

Also i have seen both stainless steel and aluminium broadswords, is their much diference in performance and durability?

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
chimeara, you live in melbourne, as do i. swords are illegal without a license. they cost $138.10

apart from that, bender is the only local guy with experience that i know of.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

ChimearaSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
Yeah, i know about the liscence..., but thanks

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
the rings are primarily used to catch spears, so unless you've got a violent audience, they'll be of little practical use.

If your heart is set on a fire sword, it won't hurt to base your choice on what type will allow you the greatest flexibility (eg smaller swords allow for a greater range of movements, can be used simultaneously)

And for safety sake, please practice with a blunt wooden or foam version until you can reliably not hit yourself at all before attempting fire.

please don't wick the blade too close to the handle,
if you're wielding anyone's fire sword, please don't point it downward for too long, because anything slower than a sweep will cause flames to lick up the sword, engulfing your hands.

come to wednesday fire gathering and i'll give a rundown on safety and technique. I am too slack to make a video.

yet.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
oooh... please make a video... please please please!!!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
please wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

6,978 posts

Posted:
i've got really old COL footage that didn't make the cut (likely the poor lighting and not my cellulite)

ChimearaSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
Thank's bender. Yeah i'm getting some wooden broadswords from ebay. Yeah i havn't been to a wednes' fire gathering yet, but i've wanting to for a long time, i've got heaps of school work at the moment, but i'll try to come in a few weeks, mabey i can bring my cam. and take some footage for the other guys?...

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
The nine ring broadswords look cool, but after wicking up, the rings won't move very well, and certainly won't make much of a sound bangin' on the wick. The ring holes, however, are quite helpful if you're going to wire the wick on the sword!

Sometimes, you just have to believe.

6,978 posts

Posted:
are the rings visible during the burn?
perhaps they are a nice revelation during a routine, showing themselves as the flames subside! smile

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
listen to bender, that man is badass with crazy hooked sword things.

The rings remind me of a crazy kung fu weapon, think it's called a horse axe. It's a hardcore weapon, like a long staff with a big axe head, with rings thru it. It's for killing horses, apparently the rings help make a bigger wound somehow. I remember this being about 5 years more training than a single sword, so unless you are planning on doing any gigs at wild horse bars, i'd stick to a pair of short swords with nice balanced handles.

From the little i've seen of 2 short sword kung fu, there's a lot of cross over with poi movements.

Will be back in melbourne early july, would love to learn some sword techniques.

matt

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

howwowardGOLD Member
73 posts

Posted:
bender yer right - in the beginning of the burn, you can't see the rings, but as the fire subsides, you get to see the rings!

TheWibbler, are you talking about the pu-dao? it's classically the "horse chopper", short staff with a broad sword head. The Kwan-Dao is similar... "pu dao & Kwan dao example"
EDITED_BY: howwoward (1149952346)

Sometimes, you just have to believe.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
I thin kthis is the weapon i was thinking of

Third one down from top

https://www.namyang.co.uk/learn-martial-arts/gallery/shaolin-weapons-pictures.php

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*takes deep breath*

[SIGH]

really there are some great vids somewhere stuck in that pipeline wink

One way to do it is to NOT wrap the wick ALL around, but to only attach it on one side of the broadsword... still the fact that something is attached to the blade will muffle metallic sounds created by the rings...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Chimeara
Also i have seen both stainless steel and aluminium broadswords, is their much diference in performance and durability?

Think very carefully.

Take up the offer of any blade training you are given.

Look at re-enactment swords if you want to make your own. Expensive but they are made to battle with (Blade striking blade shied armour they take a lot of punishment) so should last depending on various things like how hot your fuel burns as it can destress the blade.
Aluminium in my mind is only good if you want to hang it on a wall.

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
Oh if you do go far a re-enactment one don’t go for the cheep option (around £50) you want a good make at least 100 quid don’t know what that is in dollars and I cant be arsed to check.
This is a good English make. Check out the vids. The people with the big sticks are to separate them.

https://www.lancasters-armourie.co.uk/Videos/nlhf/nlhf.htm#

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
Caldicot fights are better

FelexSILVER Member
268 posts

Posted:
Oh but you wont get one of there blades for less than £260.