Forums > Technical Discussion > Changing from oil to alcoholic and vice versa

Login/Join to Participate

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
I've heard that there are various methods of changing from oil to alcohol fuels and vice versa, they are:

1. Use the new fuel for one or two burns and allow the previous fuel to burn out
Basically it involves exactly that, you fill your poi heads with the new fuel and spin them so that the old fuel burns out without being replenished, leaving a favourable situation for the new fuel.

2. Wash the new poi heads with detergent
I've heard various things about kevlar and detergent interactions, but I've heard it is possible to wash out oily fuels with detergent and alcoholic fuels with water, allowing a new type of fuel to be used.

3. Leave the pois in running water and open air (shielded from sunlight) alternatively
I've heard this is mostly bad, but people have used these to clear their pois of previous fuels, but it gets the job done...

Alternatively,

4. All of the above

So, which of these is a valid idea on recycling poi heads or is it most effective to simply buy another pair?

This statement is false...?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
IMO option one.

i've always just gone from one fuel to the next, i dont see the need to have 'cleaned' heads, i'm curious as to what you've been hearing and where from.

detergent? im skeptical, no matter what you do to the heads you are going to leave some residue... i'm not sure of the properties of detergent when burnt but i'd expect they're not healthy fumes.

personally i would say just use the appropriate fuels you have until the kevlar becomes too frayed, i wouldn't call it 'recycling' at all. and purchasing new heads every time you get a different fuel.. that just sounds unneccissairly costly.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
^o^

why putting the washing machine and poi under the strain of a spinning cycle?

burn it off smile

and make sure when going from kero to whitegas you use a container dedicated to that purpose exclusively... I had ppl getting mad when they found someone dipped their greasy kero poi into the holy WG

and when buying a new set of heads for every fuel used, make sure you order from this friendly website wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

TideGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
I plan to order from this website, they have everything that I could want, short of a fire whip, but they sell materials necessary for it!

So it seems best to burn off the old and let in the new, fair enough. Although, I heard if you have impure poi heads the fuels can burn unevenly and incompatible fuels can push out other fuels because they don't mix.
_____

EDIT!
Methylated spirits burns a different way to all the oily fuels, is it in any way better or worse than the oil fuels for my kevlar wicks?
EDITED_BY: Tide (1246357866)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
interesting... why would fuels not mix?

I would say that the higher the temperature, the more wear on your wicks... I reckon they also don't have the saturated yellow flame that you would want...

anybody else?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I don't have issues with mixing fuel types.

The only exception I have is when using D60 for indoor shows - i.e. smokeless and near odourless. For this I just give them 2-3 burns in the new fuel to burn-up any residual paraffin.

I can't think of any other wick-specific reason for caring what fuel you're using on your wicks - unless you've got some really precious people who don't want a hint of 'fin in their WG.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Has anyone tried switching (via one of the above methods or otherwise) fuel types when using flame dyes? Just curious..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

TideGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna try tomorrow night and see how it goes. Methylated spirits splashes like there's no tomorrow, though.
EDIT!
Damn it, I can't test it for a while. The lawn was mowed and I have to wait for the crap to clear off otherwise it'll be a risk of it lighting like there's no tomorrow.
EDITED_BY: Tide (1246771519)