Page: ...
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So, as has been pointed out in the "Is it quieter around here lately?" the boards are kinda dead.

Things really started to turn quiet around April/May of this year and I figured it was just part of the normal cycles that we see here of flurries of activity and then periods of less activity.

It's November and the trend continues. In Social Chat, only six posts were made over a period of four days. I haven't been posting much lately because there haven't been posts to respond to. In seven years as a HoP member, I have never seen anything like it.

Even worse, Josh and Kate were going to have a mini-Doof tomorrow night at their place in my honor and it appears that very few people will be coming. This disappoints me. It means that our community is collapsing and I can't figure out why this is happening.

But more important than the discussion of why is how to fix it. This community was an amazing, active, warm, loving family consisting of tens of thousands of spinners all over the world. I don't think the blame can be placed in the hands of any individual.

Did the community move to Facebook? If so, can we use that to our advantage? Is there something that we can do to make this forum more conducive to gatherings and socialization?

What are your ideas?

And please, if you know someone who has gone silent, encourage them to come back.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

brodiemanold hand
1,024 posts

Posted:
im still stalk the forums every now and again! smile have been thinking about picking up my poi and balls and ambling down to a workshop has been a few years.

LevFiredance Philosopher
79 posts

Posted:
Here's some different approaches:

Administrative project--

Administration needs to ask the user base what they want in a very bold and expressive way to get MAXIMUM coverage on information HoP members need to give.
-
With that the administration can then formulate new ways to realistically improve things, if this means funding is involved then go for it! All HoP would really be doing with the money is strengthening the community in which their loyalties reside so it would be an investment.
-
With those plans the administration then relays it back to the users for their feedback, with that feedback they either get a signal to refine or be reaffirmed that the idea is solid in the first place.
-
If the idea needs refinement then refine it and relay it back only when significant improvements are made, and repeat previous step. If it's reaffirmed then regardless of previous work, do a bit of brainstorming just to make sure you, the administration have a plan to do exactly what YOU want.
-
Carry out the plan, if any large blocking problems come up then keep the users updated on those to maintain a sense of understanding.

-------------

User community project based--
Exactly like this except the admin, mods and users all have an open and really down to heart way to get involved and improve the community without the project getting too bloated to be unwieldy for new users to chip in. Concise, open, informed and fluid progress is key.

-------------

Meritocracy Contests--
I think the biggest bang-for-your-buck on contribution exchange for money would have to be contests which involve creating something and sending it in on a competitive basis, if we could have contests on HoP and the winners get things like poi or glowsticks? I bet you'd get an absolutely overwhelming amount of support. Even if it's not money, some people would be delighted at something skill-made instead like a custom print or custom poi/clothing or even just a little embroidery. If you don't know what people like, asking is a good way!

-------------

What users can do?
Think of interesting and unique topics then make a thread, seriously if you want more discussion people will need things to discuss... just remember controversial =/= interesting =P

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
There are regular competitions....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

LevFiredance Philosopher
79 posts

Posted:
For poi, but for things like logos, templates and essays on business model analysis? Think outside the box about things that would actually help improve the regular non-hardcore user's experience at HoP.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
mmm I dont post much anymore because....too much work and study have made/are making me dull. I (really) hope that when I finish studying in August, I'll be able to find some shiny bits of myself to chuck in the mix again.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Josh!!!! I was just thinking about you and Kate and how much time I had at your luffly fairy house in the hills over Adelaide!

Big tele-hugs to the two of you. Tonight I'm going to Joel and Marina's fairy house in the hills over Santa Cruz, my local equivalent of your place.

And how amazing HoP is that I have a fairy-home on two distant continents!

-Mike

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ah, joel and marina's house is beautiful, such amazing tress, and a wonderful vegie patch too smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Petey has been to both fairy houses...

-Mike

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
though, my memories are pretty vague, if you'll recall my level of jetlagged ness laugh3

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
I wish I got to see their houses. ): Where I live, and where I used to live in Vancuover.
"Ghetto-hole" sums them both up nicely.

Anyways.
Maybe revamping the website's design?

Risen from the Ashes
The Phoenix shall rise in his royal flaire.
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pyrolificmmm I dont post much anymore because....too much work and study have made/are making me dull.

What are you studying, Josh? I am about to become very dull doing my final year of adult education..with a quick trip to SpunOut WA and Nick's poi retreat in Bali to wake me up in April yes Dang that assignment that's due on the last day of the retreat though!!! Hope my professor doesn;t die of shock when I hand it in two weeks early before I go! Hope I don;t die getting it done that early. My last assignment last year, after the craziness of my dad dying straight after UberOz was 6 weeks late and the lovely lady still gave me full marks.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
^^^Masters in IT at a uni with particularly high expectations, while working as a high school coordinator.

J

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
wave hey, i thought after seeing this thread id say ive popped back in smile (if anyone remembers me)

ive been off for a while, but thats because of changes in my life which meant not being able to concentrate on here, or not being able too take part.

my 2 cents, which i dont think applies to everyone for obvious reasons is a lot of us had a lot more free time a couple of years ago. I know a lot of members are above their 20's but a large proportion were between 16 and say 25 for a while, and to be fair i think we all have more time when were younger because we make time for the fun stuff.... i dont know, i know i havent been able to do a lot of things this year, but thats going to change.

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I been away too. With real life. Work and stupid stuff because of the credit crunch. I neglected my spinning too. I'm going to hell now!!!!! frown

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Same....was absent for a while, mostly due to work and life blah blah blah, but I've started popping back in.Though I'm not posting anywhere near as much as I used to.

I remember you bubbles!

hug

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey it's good to see you back again, Tink and Bubbles! It all still trucks on and I totally agree that as a whole cohort 'grow up' and move into other things there's less time for old friends, or old friend sites....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
this community has been experiencing a setback because

ppl lost their interest and went off to do new things the "I'm not doing because you're not doing" attitude of old hands who rather pet their grudges than renew themselves and their attitude towards each other old hands stopped spinning poi personality websites like "Facebook" and because old hands going out on their ego trip and promoting themselves, now that poi really starts reaching a "critical mass" - as in "the chicks fledged and took off flying, and are not looking back"

shrug

Yes, there are only 5% left of those I saw in the beginning and had epic discussions with - who helped shaping ... me ... footinmouth

But as I see it there are l.o.v.e.l.y new members in here - really fluffy people. Why is that? Because this board attracts nice and helpful people - it just is.

If this board really means something to you (old hands), you rather frequent it. Get off the Facebook junk, come back to ChittyChat, "htfu" and post there... wink

I'm with Chopper Reid on this one (beware: explicit lyrics):

twocents wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i forgot HoP needed saving... am i a bad HoPper?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
spank one of the worst tongue2

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
cry

what have i done!?!?!?! HoP is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED.

screw this... i'm going to go and join facebook tongue2

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
as IF you didn't already *deserves more spank *

no really, a board lives from its members posting, no?

so c'mon, instead of dragging every discussion to either a whingin whinin ICU or turning around, insulted - share your petty crimes wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1246520844)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, what if we approached this from a slightly different angle?

What have we on this board got that other boards don't? Why would people come to "Home of Poi" rather than a V8 supercar forum?

hug

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
I keep coming back here because it's quite an active board and seems to be populated with some good characters!! Of course, I've not been around long so it's all still new and fluffy!! lol

That said, there's a huge repository of knowledge and advice that us new spinners can approach knowing we'll not be dismissed out of hand for asking stupid questions!! wink

Besides, I'm going to win that last post thread grin

I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM MAN!!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonWhat have we on this board got that other boards don't? Why would people come to "Home of Poi" rather than a V8 supercar forum?

guaranteed fire grin

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Less fatal collisions.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Because of all the cookies

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Homeofwhat now?

wink

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I am new here after a friend recomended I join, and I intend on staying for a while.... But I didn't want to come on here and start flooding the forums with babble no one cares about... Not yet anyhow wink. Hopefully I can help in not letting the forum die smile

Seems like a nice little community though smile

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

MMaeGOLD Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I am also new. I don't post much, I'm much more of a real life socializer, but from what I have perused and skimmed of the boards everyone seems very buoyant and charasmatic and just straight up funny. The silly little comments crack me up. So I like Home of Poi boards over rednecks because people are easy going and humourous from what I can tell.

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
I for one would rather read a informed opinion over what someone had for breakfast any day, and if people post for the sake of it that’s what we will end up with.

Toast and a giant glass or orange juice if your interested.

Page: ...