Page:
Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
10th Dimension

I just 'stumbled' upon this link- I'm not really that well read on these things, but it does appear to match up with other things I have read and studied. Interesting stuff indeed.

I'm intrigued to hear what you clever bods think about this smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I've been doing a lot of cosmology and particle physics reading lately, and this concept of string theory and superstring theory and 10 and even 24 dimensions pop up.

The idea is that these extra dimensions are possible if they are tightly curled up, but I think the human mind is incapable of truly envisioning this. However, as you pass your hand across the space in front of you, it is actually moving through all 10 dimensions, but because they are so small, you don't appreciate that extra motion.

And it still bewilders me.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
string theory is gay because you cant test it. doc how does moving your hand infront of you make it move through all 10 dimensions, surely itd only be moving in up to the 7th dimension as anything above that is moving in a dimension with different initial conditions for the big bang.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I dunno, Ben. Do I *LOOK* like a string theorist?

-Mike

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
mmmmmm i dunno ..... *scratches head*

maybe you could quote from one of your books with the whole hand 10 dimensional movement thingamees?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Forum String Theory

"If we are mere humans conceptualize our world as having three dimensions, then it is fully plausable that we are completely wrong about our universe and its origin.

That being said, I have considered the consequences of the assumptions made by this site, specifically your presentation, and beleive that I have a good way of describing movement in each dimension. However as it bores me typing it, I have since erased the next seventeen paragraphs and have typed an alternate ending to this comment, creating in the process a fifth-dimension editorial leap from one potential ending to another.

However, since I had originally typed up my long-winded bloat of a message and then scrolled up to delete most of it, it could be construed, based on your demonstration, that I have caused a 6D curve to form in the fabric of my essay and have "jumped" to this parallel comment.

Now, it is all possible that I could have typed this response in another thread and indeed, it is possible that the other thread can and did create the conditions that would allow me to transplant this response from this thread to another. Since the initial starting points of the other threads were different ideas or questions, the threads have undoubtedly branched in ways that would be impossible to generate from the initial question of this thread, so transplanting my post would be a 7D lexic jump.

If this forum were to spawn spin-offs, wouldn't that create an 8D branch in our discussions?

Of course, I could also post this randomly in another forum, which would potentially become the seed for a few hundred confused people who thought they were dicussing algriculture when I made the 9D jump into their lives.

And of course, lets not forget the internets themselves, which when taken as a whole only truely describe the awesome reality that all of our possible postings on all of the possible forums that may or may yet exist are really just academic exercises for people who have nothing better to do at 3AM on a monday morning?"

- Daniel McQueen

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
ubblol

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Do you ever think that theorists just get together and read science fiction books and just make up the sillyest thing they can think of because all the regular scientific discovouries started to slow down after the 1800's??

lol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
I love that Stumble button!

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

Penguin SvenSILVER Member
185 posts

Posted:
"All possibility is contained in the 10th dimension." Maybe thats where God sleeps at night. I love this stuff. Very interisting find.

"glow bugs, to slow to resist eating, to bitter to eat more than one handfull in a sitting" toothpaste for dinner

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
ubblol i could just play with the navigation bar all day, never mind the article tongue

TabtI Doubt, Therefore I Might Be
1,007 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ben-ja-men

string theory is gay because you cant test it.

ubblol does this mean that concepts such as religion and beauty are gay? biggrin

Owner of Dragosani's right side.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
what?!? i was lost after the 1st!

damn those ants, taking over the world!

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
ubblol

what about the flat landers? bet you're afraid of them too! tongue

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
RUN FROM THE FLATLANDERS!!!!

Sooo Highlander? smile

edit: So after listening to the chap, i finally twigged about dimensional theory and anthropomorphic perception. We can think, everyday, about the 5th dimension, some have even gone as far as the 6th (Back to the future) But only physicists can 'relate' to the 7th dimension?

I'm talking about perception, not theory smile

Sorry i've forgotton my point. Ho hum.

ubbrollsmile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

string theory is gay because you cant test it.

I thought it was gay because it was so well color-coordinated... shrug

-Mike

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
@ben: and why can't you test a gay? confused

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
ok Doc. here is your test.

credit card number:
name:
expiray date:

tongue

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
ben: they have been testing not string theory but the possibility of micro dimensions (ie the rolled up dimensions we cant percieve) they do this by testing the outcome of high energy collisions to see if gravity works in other demensions and if this is why it is so much weaker than the others

also string theory is not testable because as of yet it isnt a complete theory in fact its not really a theory at all, its a frame work of a theory and still needs a lot of work before anything testable is possible (as of yet there are too many unknowns in the equations that strin theory has created - that and the equations themselves are unsolvable using current mathematical methods)

but a LOT of people are working to make it testable smile so maybe some point soon ....

back

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
how can you test for something in a dimension higher than 4?

if you did manage to mess things around in a higher dimension say if you did something in the 6th dimension folding the 5th dimension through the sixth dimension to appear in a new reality anyone in the new reality who tried to replicate your results would vanish into a new reality making it impossible to replicate the results

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

credit card number:
name:
expiray date:

tongue

Do I fail if I answer? ubblol

-Mike

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

Written by: Mr Majestik

credit card number:
name:
expiray date:

tongue

Do I fail if I answer? ubblol

yes, by not answering then i think you just passed ubblol

that proves it! you can test gays!

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:

how can you test for something in a dimension higher than 4?

if you did manage to mess things around in a higher dimension say if you did something in the 6th dimension folding the 5th dimension through the sixth dimension to appear in a new reality anyone in the new reality who tried to replicate your results would vanish into a new reality making it impossible to replicate the results

Any ultimate theory of reality can't be tested because we're trapped inside of it and therefore affect it. Unless, as you say, the universe is a fractal.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*bump*

so it seems as if it all repeats after the 7th or so dimension...
but sure I lost it somewhere along the line.... wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Surely the 10th dimension would be if you added up the first 4?

1+2+3+4 = 10

There mathematically perfect wink and existing inside understandable 4 dimensions. The 10th dimension must be the total forget the 5-9th dimensions they 'aint worth the space they're folded in.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Mynci, that's a very smart equation... does this match up with what's been said in the video?

got to watch it again! spank

wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
maaaaaaaaaaan this was ages old. i remember the vid though smile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Didn't watch the video, I'm at work laugh3 maybe I should, I feel open to ridicule for a comment in ignorance wink I just get bored of string theory. Don't think it's quite right. (look at me questioning great minds laugh3 ) Think the solution will be much simpler.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
it's quite boring as these guys are woring in a field that is highly abstract (physics) and use a coding that 96.98% of mankind does not understand (modern philosophy)...

to me it appears like Hyperloops... once you got it, you never loose it

(superNerds unite!)

wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1246451433)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomto me it appears like Hyperloops... once you got it, you never loose it;)

except i expect there are more in the world that can do hyperloops than advanced physics. tongue2

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ahh but more people know about the existance of advanced physics than hyperloops I think there are quite a lot of theoretical physicists
wink

Page: