Sunshine92SILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h08wx0dtWT0

Loving this whole Firework Poi scene I've been seeing. I want in =) This fourth of July I will do so. I know that those fireworks are fountains. I just don't know how to rig it on so you can spin it. I was wondering if anyone knew how to do so. I've come across firework fountains like so - https://www.bigfireworks.com/pc-937-9-pure-torture.aspx
I assume the most obvious thing to so would be to rig a chain so that it won't slide off because of the bottom stand that keeps the fireworks up. At the same time, I worry that the stand might rip off and the firework Poi will REALLY become fireworks.. And it's dangerous enough as it is... Lol.. So, any ideas?

With happiness,

John

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Hi Sunshine92

I don't think you'll get many responses to this post as the guy in the video you posted is not taking much in the way of safety precautions and there's a general disdain for that sort of thing around here. Granted, the guy in the video did have the sense to spin over water, but that's about it.

I've seen firework poi where the performers are wearing the proper safety gear. like hardhats and neck protection and maybe if you'd linked to one of those instead you'd get more response.

Thing is, firework poi are pretty dangerous to the spinner, the audience and the surrounding area and is not something that should be treated casually. You already know this.

So...rip the base off and hose clamp the firework to the chain.

Be safe.

Sunshine92SILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Stout. Rest assured, I'm not going to be like some idiot and just do it casually. I'll take the proper safety procautions. (ie gloves, hardhat, hoodie, underarmor, etc) I plan to spin atleast 3 pairs of fireworks. I'll post some of the pictures when I get the chance to get it done. By the way, I found a firework circus. Very neat stuff. Check'em out if you'd like.

Thank you again, Stout wink

With happiness,

John

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Cheers John

This is one of those sketchy subjects that people are rather hesitant to give advice on just in case something goes wrong and they feel somewhat responsible at best, or liable at worst.

If you're prepared to outfit yourself with the proper safety gear and you're aware of just how the sparks fly as well as just where those sparks will be landing then you're on the right track here.

I actually did this, back in the day before consumer fireworks were banned locally ( I'm in Canada, and we used to have them at Halloween ). I did a couple of "test burns" and once I came to the realization that there's probably nowhere I could perform this and it was too dangerous to casually just do at spin jams, I shelved the idea.

It sure was fun though, too bad only one person, my safety, saw it.

Looking forward to the pictures.

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
If you look carefully, he does TWO moves. Should you stick to those two moves with high-quality fireworks, really you'd be at low(er) risk. Then again, anything that explodes in that fashion has notable risk.

If you KNOW how to make explosives like this and you're EXPERIENCED, you'd best make them yourself but even then that's a stretch.

The way his fireworks work also have a noticeable design - they project in one, uniform direction - outwards. They never shoot back down (like some other fireworks) or leave large trails where hands could possibly move (like some others if they were attached to chains), they all shot out at tangents (basically covering an area OUTSIDE the arcs of his spins), but even then any mis-explosion could've taken a hand.

It's all about your TRUST in the risk versus reward, do you honestly believe it's worth it in that case? That guy had bravery (or ignorant illusions, either way) that got him through the event - that time.

Call that guy brave or stupid, he got it done - that time. Just think about it that way.

This statement is false...?

Sunshine92SILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Completely understood. I have great confidence in myself, as I'd be taking more appropriate safety procautions and I am extremely confident in my spinning. The only thing I'm thinking about is the moves. Unfortunately, I'd be more or less stuck with doing weaves and such, when I really want to be doing on antispin flowers and such. As far as the moves I am doing, it will be limited to extensions, weaves, and once I feel confident with the firework poi (assuming my 2nd pair or 3rd) I think a triquetra would be a nice move to try. Being as though the poi will travel in wall plane and that my extended arm won't be that much of a risk, I note that since it is a triquetra, the Poi travel in an approximate four or five inches from it's center cross, and a good foot or foot and 1/3rd away. Adding a mask to the equation, protective neck gear, and underarmour for my clothings, I feel like I would be beyond safe. Then again, the Poi aren't light in my hands just yet, are they?

If I don't feel comfortable, I will most obviously call it off. I will be spinning with all the safety gear and on a dock that is three feet above the ground from the lake in my backyard. I appreciate all the advice, all the comments and knowledge.

Though it may seem odd to ask, I would ask that HoP wouldn't find me being stupid, because I am not. Or brave for that matter. I am simply giving a new try in something I like that I understand and accept the risks I am taking for it. Thanks again, guys wink

With happiness,

John

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
the fancy with fireworks is that every piece of it is unique... only because 5 didn't backfire or got off in your hand when you lit them, it doesn't mean that the 6th will also behave to be a good gadget...

If you intend to blow yourself up, try to do is somewhere in safe distance to the audience (unless you're a suicide spinner that is).

See, John - I feel there is nothing wrong with all this. Got a friend who does it highly professionally for a couple of years already. I do trust his expertise and maybe you'll get to the same level of experience. You're no ways stupid - but best you stay like that and keep playing it as safe as can be.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Anything flowers will put the outside of the circle in the middle of your body and that means unless your planes are 100% perfect you'll be copping sparks to the face... and even if they are, depending on the kind of flower you're likely to be burning your own hands.

hug

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Buzzsaw....do it

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Sunshine92SILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Appreciate all the help everyone! I am flying back down to Georgia tomorrow after a performance tonight. Tomorrow I'll get all my things, and I'll post up what I've bought and what I have just to keep you all updated if you'd like. I'll post the pictures when I do it. Thank you everyone!

With happiness,

John

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Um... I forgot to point out something obvious, but buy a batch of the fireworks and test at least two. Y'know, test so that they're not totally volatile and fairly reliable.

This statement is false...?

Lollygagstranger
1 post

Posted:
if it helps, i've heard that if you soak your poi then wrap them in steel wool you get a sort-of sparkly catherine wheel type effect. I can't remember if that's all you do, but I think so. It looks really effective, and is a lot safer than actual fireworks!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
unless the wool flakes off as a whole & flies into the audience... umm

pls note the instant link about Steel wool smile

Thanks Malcolm hug

Tide... that's exactly the problem with fireworks.... even if 9/10 behave the same way, #10 can still get off straight into yer face...
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1246450768)

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Why not try it with big sparklers of some kind? That way it wouldn't project and fly out of control as much but would still throw off all the sparks, and you could most likley do a lot more with them too as they are not flying everywhere, and with less risk. They are suitable for children after all. Perhaps you can get hold of some larger sparklers that have a brighter and longer burn time, but even the small kiddie ones you get in November burn for quite a while and are still quite bright. I'm sure if you looked around you can find something that is just as effective (if not more) and a lot safer. Just a thought smile

Am a little shocked by all the encouraging comments on that video

ParkourChiron
Excellent. Kudos my friend.

ApprovalJunkie
man you have taken poi to a new level,try dry wire wool rapped lightly on the ends,looks like a cathern wheel,kaplaa

>_<
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1246503642)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
YOU should not even be in this thread [/kidDing] wink

which encouraging comments other than those sarcastic ones? wink

Problem here is taht, unless we get there physically most likely he will do it any which way... same as people asking for firebreathing... so all we really can do is trying to help keeping it as safe as possible and pointing out the hazards.

Fireworks - as in those rockets that take off - are completely stupid to use for poi, as they will have a lot of velocity and potential danger. Sparkly fountains like these

Non-Https Image Link

are a little safer but still very dangerous to yourself and the audience. Also they do require a special set of poi, which in turn needs to be manufactured VERY well to remain safe.

Steelwool ain't safe either, unless you have special equipment.

Safest are the sparklers with coals. And I'd suggest them. They still need psecial equipment, have a nice "aaah&oooh" effect but they can't rip your hand off.

Stay safe

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomYOU should not even be in this thread [/kidDing] wink

Moi? frown tongue2

I was talking about something like this

Non-Https Image Link

don't know how it would work though :$

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Sunshine92SILVER Member
42 posts

Posted:
Okay, so, the show was amazing!!! I have fallen in love with Firework Poi. It's amazing. I am going to purchase more fountains, record a video, and post it on here when I have it! Thank you all for your comments and advice!! I wish you all the best!!

With happiness,

John