1st May - Brisbane
6th May - Rockhampton
14th-19th May - Tasmania
19th to 21st May - Melbourne
21st May - Auckland
27th May - Wellington
29th May - 9th June - South Island
9th June - 23rd June - Perth and WA

Let me know if you're free, want to meet up, or have a spare bed/sofa/corner near the fireplace grin

[size:6pt]Awright! I've looked into flights and routes and here's the plan so far:

1. London (start, end of Jan/beg. of Feb 09)

2. Montreal - visit some of my Canuck friends from the 1995 school exchange (and hopefully get free accomodation), or, should they be unavailable, just appreciate the city (3 days or so)

3. New York - maybe visit Molly? (3 days or so)

4. Potentially Key West since I got a very sunny invitation to go there

5. Nassau (so that I can sing Sloop John B like I know what I'm talking about. Must go on ship. Expensive since no friends in Bahama, therefore probably short)

6. New Orleans (Mardi Gras time. And apparently an invitation to the Gay Ball. This is getting better and better!!)

Depending on planning and people's availability, stages 2-6 can be swapped round a bit.

7. San Francisco or Vancouver or San Diego or North Carolina (depending on friends' availability and stuff. If you want me to sway towards either of them you'll probably succeed)

8. Honolulu (I don't have a friend there, so this bit is going to be expensive, but what the hell, I'll get free flower necklaces, right?)

9. Fiji Islands (because I can take 4 stops in that region of the world and think I should make use of them, again probably short). If anyone can recommend another stop in the SW pacific please let me know. Thx.

10. Auckland.

11. (make way on the ground to, maybe 3 weeks?) Queenstown and hopefully see lots of interesting stuff and HoPpers on the way.

12. Hobart (must see Tasmania since I loved Einstein Junior as a kid. Also must see Tasmanian Devils before all die of whatever infection it is they have. Around 1 week)

13. Melbourne. Rental car and looooooong road trip time (2-3 months. Wheeee!).

14. EITHER back to London OR Singapore-Bangkok-Mumbai (have very old penfriend in Mumbai whom I've been writing to since I'm 12 or so, would be lovely to finally meet her! On the other hand, I can't be away forever and adding another continent will mean I have to rush through other places and get a whole bunch of vaccinations and visa etc. Again, advice would be welcome. Might be better to do a decent Asia-trip on its own after the next contract.)

Of course I'll end up jobless and moneyless at the end of all this, but maybe I'm lucky and someone will employ me again.

Any comments, suggestions, requests for meeting me somewhere along the way or travelling a bit together, are welcome. FYI, I need to go in a westerly direction between continents, can't go to any more destinations within Europe, and don't eat onions.

I've been dreaming of this for ages, but postponed 10 years ago because unexpectedly uni wanted me to start straight away, even though I refused to take part in their application test/interview thingy (alternative was to start 6 months later and travel first, which I thought was going to happen, but as I said they wanted me straight away), was postponed in 2004 on account of me getting a PhD straight away, and then was postponed again last year on account of Still Writing Up The PhD And Needing A Job. So now it must happen.[/color]

EDITED_BY: Birgit (1239958675)
EDIT_REASON: update

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
*giggle*...if she's like me, once she gets to Oz, she won't ever want to leave again!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
There's too many places I don't want to leave already frown But Oz might well be one of them. I've arrived now!!

And Mr Majestik, sorry, I thought you meant Oz smile I'd like to be in Tassie for 5-8 days so I get a chance to look around a bit!

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
cool cool, what do you want to see?

i'm pretty busy what with working five days a week and uni work, so i guess whenever you come i'll make some time for you (weekends are always free! :D)

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hello again! Edited for update. I'm in Melbourne now. Next few stops:

21st April - Canberra
24th April - Sydney
1st May - Brisbane
6th May - Rockhampton
14th-19th May - Tasmania
19th to 21st May - Melbourne
21st May - Auckland
27th May - Wellington
29th May - 9th June - South Island
9th June - 23rd June - Perth and WA

Let me know if you're free, want to meet up, or have a spare bed/sofa/corner near the fireplace grin

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Oooh...I'll have to let Pat know your date for being in Brissie...I know he'd hate to miss you!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
yeah, please do - I've pmed him on here but no reply yet (also it's probably looking more like 2nd or 3rd of May now, because I've put in a stop at the Hunter Valley for wine tasting) smile

By the way, people round the world (quite literally) are admiring the pretty snake ring you got me! hug

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
He got your PM, lady...said he was gonna try to get in touch...and if you can make it in this weekend, you could go to a very fun festival with he and some buddies...loooovely countryside and lots of crazy hippies...what more could you ask for? wink

Aww, I'm glad you're enjoying it...just a lil trinket of your travels... hug

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
while you're around the south island there's a circus house in queenstown you're welcome to crash at, just let us know when you get here

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
almost time for you to be exiting Oz again is it? I hope it was fun and you got to wombatage with Gnor?

It was good to meet you - heck I guess it was half a month ago now - time flies. Really hope the rest of the plans worked out.

hug

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Hey! Haven't been here in a while - sorry! Point_Blank, I was in Queenstown before you posted that - shame, it would've been good to meet you! George, it was lovely to spend some time with you and hear all the cool Antarctica stories! I didn't get to meet Gnor in Perth, I didn't have internet access for a week or so before so couldn't get in touch, and ended up having just one whole day there, for which I'd already booked a wine tour frown
hug

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Page: