T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ-wVHaVzFs

Number 2 at about 30 seconds in... Don't know if this is advanced or not, but how the hell do I do it? Are there any special methods I should use, or is it just luck that you catch it?

I couldn't find any tutorials on it and being at work, I can't hear the video, so can't tell if he is saying how to do it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated smile

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
smile I gave a workshop at these at Southern Lights (not sure if you were there?)

I keep meaning to make a tutorial video on them but haven't quite got round to it.

Essentially the key to getting the poi to release is the catch point. This varies with the poi you use, but for me i catch the poi when it's vertical (handle at the bottom), just back from the handle - too near the middle and it tangles.
It's then a pushing/driving motion which keeps the poi spinning and then it releases as your catching poi pushes through it.
Friction, head/handle weight, rotation speed all greatly affect this.

With enough practice you can eliminate a lot of the luck

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Durbs: Just as an aside, the couple tuts I have of you are really cool, so please do one for these at some point?

Been trying to get a couple going but so far without success.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
Awesome, thankyou Durbs,

Sadly I wasn't at Southern Lights, but your post helps a lot, would be good to see a tutorial if you get time to get one done, but the post pretty much coveres the most of it smile

I have had a couple of attempts at it, and slowly seem to be getting there smile

Originally Posted By: Durbssmile I gave a workshop at these at Southern Lights (not sure if you were there?)

I keep meaning to make a tutorial video on them but haven't quite got round to it.

Essentially the key to getting the poi to release is the catch point. This varies with the poi you use, but for me i catch the poi when it's vertical (handle at the bottom), just back from the handle - too near the middle and it tangles.
It's then a pushing/driving motion which keeps the poi spinning and then it releases as your catching poi pushes through it.
Friction, head/handle weight, rotation speed all greatly affect this.

With enough practice you can eliminate a lot of the luck

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"