Forums > Meet Others > Anyone in Hamilton, New Zealand????

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
Mr. Wally-ishSILVER Member
There's always room for 11 people in a two man tent
31 posts

Posted:
Hey peoples..

Just wondering if there's anything going on on Hamilton, NZ?
At the moment all I can see so far on our spinning scene is a few tumble weed balls floating around. laugh3

So yeah anywhoo... If there's anything going on in the place 'where it's happening' Or there's some like minded people who would be keen for a get together then give me a yell

Cheers guys

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
Man, nothing ever happens in Hamilton. Come to Auckland instead smile

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Not true
My friends run Circus Aeoteroa out of Watatuna valley on the way to Raglan. Its a new touring Circus with them and some graduates from CircoArts (also friends) Its finished its season for this year, but will be back next year. PM me for details and contact. They have a lovely batch out in the bush and welcome Woofers, have an outdoor rig and Irene is into some spinning. Although theyre mainly jugglers.
Also there is a Performance group based in Hamilton called called....man I cant remember. Im pretty sure one of my friends in RotaVegas (who is a spinner) did some shows with them.
So there are spinner whanau about.....just not many !!!
Although with a Uni in Hami - I rekon you could find or cultivate more if you started a juggling/spnning club there...?
Good luck and hope to see you when I return to Aeoteroa early next year. I shall for sure pass through Hami so OM me an email
Peas
Rob

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

31 posts

Posted:
Cheers man thanks for that. I have a few friends who spin, so its just a matter of getting some stuff going, and I hope once that happens the Hamilton scene will grow. So fingers crossed when you come through there will be a nice healthy group going.

31 posts

Posted:
And Puff.... Aucks? really? shocked Do you guys have some sort of meet going up there?

midnightzenithSILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Yay! I've been trying to find a hammi fire nite for ages, but kept meeting with no response at all, so my mates and I decided we'd start our own, cause apparently there are quite a few spinners floating round the tron. So yeah, if your keen too I reckon we could definitly get something going. Cause spinning by yourself just isnt as much fun...

A positive attitude may not fix everything, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile!

midnightzenithSILVER Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Ah thats an epic lol... just realised who u are. Should have realised hammi wasnt that big! Hehe txt me when u realise what a cabbage i am...

But everyone else, just fluidity and i cant get ourselvese sorted out doesnt mean we're not keen to get a spinning thing going. come on, make a post and tell ur mates, cause it'd just be really cool to get something going

But that reminds me, I'll chuck something in the uni mag and see if we can find any other ppl there. If they can do it with tricking, we can do it for fire smile
EDITED_BY: midnightzenith (1242619075)

A positive attitude may not fix everything, but it will annoy enough people to make it worthwhile!

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Theres LOADS of Auckland spinning going on
2 FireNights - one North shore, one 'Renegade' (moving)
A jugglng club with Markie Mark and Pailie Paul (great spinners and jugglers - that have been instrumental in the scene since early on)
Community Circus stuff with Kumarani Circus
A juggling and spinning shop and Community Circus from Colin
HEAPS of stuff - just PM me for more details, after youve done a search no here
Theres also a vibrant Fire scene in Tauranga
NZ is buzzing Bro's - get in on it and create your own in Hami - that place needs it and is perfect for it with so many students and not much to do!!
I'll come and do some guest workshops when I get there - in Poi, swinging clubs, single to triple staff, single/double whip, juggling, hat manipulation etc... and I can give you the contacts of all the other crew and circus's and teachers I mentioned above
Good luck and get it ON!!
Kia Ora

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

31 posts

Posted:
Haha well done with that... Hamilton is not that big is it. Everyone knows everyone someway or another.

I'm thinking a nip round the uni and chalk it up angel maybe with a contact number or something. See who responds... Im sure there's more spinners out there in hamilhole

5_star_chikita5_star_chikita
5 posts

Posted:
hi ya, yeah im def keen top meet some people in hamilton. i havent been practicing for ages lol, and hoped to be onto the fire by now but im still learning with the glow poi (when i get time to practice that is). be very keen to learn from others though or just come and watch.

also a mate wants 2 fire dancers for her party in october (you will be paid) so maybe we can talk about that as well?

reply back....

5 posts

Posted:
i might make a fire dance group on face book for hamilton, is there one there already? then maybe we can all communicate there and add events etc, what does everyone think?

31 posts

Posted:
Good to hear from you. seems like we're getting a few more people interested. success! ummm anyway, onto matters at hand, facebook seems like a decent idea, maybe there are more people from Hamilton on there that we can get yes I tried to figure out how to use it last night and i still have no idea.

Um yeah, about your mates party in october, I'm sure we could rustle up a couple of people for that. What sort of toys does she want?

5 posts

Posted:
hi ya, yeah its pretty cool a few people are keen aye. i will try to do something on facebook in the next week unless someone tells me before hand that there is something on there already.

my mate just wants a good show, im not sure what she wants at this stage. we are going to the wintershow on friday which has some fire performance at it so i guess she will have a better idea after that :-)

31 posts

Posted:
Fire performance at the winter show? I might just head over there for a while and have a little look then

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
3 fire nights in Ak Rob wink You forgot Charlies one on Sundays. But yeah Mark and Paul bring the good times and the good vibes. If you're ever up this way drop me a line and I'll show you where the funs at.
EDITED_BY: Puff (1242982626)
EDIT_REASON: Capital 3 = #...And I haven't even been drinking...

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

31 posts

Posted:
Sweet so if we wanted to road trip it up to your end for a few hours once a month or stuff you could show us around?

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
You bet ya. The Tuesday renegades are off for a bit but those of us who want to brave the cold still go out. Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays are the only days when something firey or juggley isn't happening really.

31 posts

Posted:
haha excellent. I shall run it past a couple of mates with their full liscences (grrrr 6.34 am and my spellings crap) and im off to brave the cold now bye . mmmmm a nice warm firey spin whilst its still dark would be nice... laugh3 but anyway

31 posts

Posted:
So yeah, Midnightzenith contacted the lovely people of the hamilton city council and there is no fire allowed in public places. So any ideas of how to convince the council to let us spin in safety and such?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:

generally the art of dealing with councils is DONT attract attention to yourself. The council will not endorse you playing with fire because that could open some liability issues. for that matter if you ask the councils permission to do ANYTHING they will say no.

i suspect theres very few fire meets around the world that actually have council sanctioning....

find a nice park, or somewhere nice by the river for people to meet every couple of weeks, and have a spin. the odds are that noone will even notice or even care. if anything theyll think its really cool.

i doubt council rangers are patrolling the public parklands of hamilton every night searching for hippies furtively juggling.

its been a decade since i lived in the Tron, but im sure there'd be some nice hidden away grassy park area down by the river somewhere that would be idea.

cheers,
D ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

31 posts

Posted:
thanks for that. Yeah we have planned on finding a nice quiet cosy park where not too many people will notice us

silentguitarestSILVER Member
Materials Engineer
8 posts

Posted:
Hello guys and gals, im new to posting here,
I take it there is a fire night sometime in Hamilton...
Id be keen to come and learn more moves and meet like minded people

Con Braccia E Occhi Aperti

--Fire Videos Click Here--

youtube.com/user/silentguitarest

31 posts

Posted:
Hey man good to hear from you. At the moment its just kind of getting peoples attention, and once we've done that we could all decide on a date every week, or 2nd week or something like that.

But yeah pm me if you want my cellphone number and i'll let you know if anything does happen in the next few weeks or so

Materials Engineer
8 posts

Posted:
Choice, im keen as, but my form of transport is a motorbike haha not the greatest for winter/or carrying a staff....
but ill be keen to come watch and meet new people

31 posts

Posted:
yeah i can totally understand that. motorbike and staff would be reasonably difficult. I have enough of a fun time on a bike with a staff. where abouts do you live though? we might be able to pick you up or something on the way to these fire nites?

Materials Engineer
8 posts

Posted:
Well i live in pukete, and just to put it out there, theres a few nice parks in my area that is close to the river, big enough for nobody to care, and no trees, just big open spaces....

31 posts

Posted:
That sounds quite good. Me and midnight have been trying to brainstorm places for it, and theres a couple up tramway rd we're looking at so yeah. And theres the thought if the council/officials arnt happy with it, then we just shift location weekly and jump all over hamilton

Materials Engineer
8 posts

Posted:
nice, so how many people have shown interest in coming along ??
has hamitlon got many cool,fun fire maniacs ??
If the fuzz or the likewise do come along, ill talk to them, as i am becoming a cop very soon tongue2

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mr. Wally-ishAnd theres the thought if the council/officials arnt happy with it, then we just shift location weekly and jump all over hamilton

That's what we've been doing for our tuesday fire nights although the only reason the council got upset was noise (we used to spin in kind of a natural amphitheater so the sounds kinda billowed out to the surrounding apartments and they complained). Still, moving around every week keeps it fresh smile

31 posts

Posted:
Aye? copper eh? yeah im interested in that as a career too

Materials Engineer
8 posts

Posted:
Yer copper haha, not yet, but im 99% done the recruiting process, just gotta do my medical exam, which will be sweeeeet as !!! then off to collage grin
ohh yer well PM if you want to know anything

Page: