Forums > Videos > Successful fire spinning videos and tutorials

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Now there is a huge amount of firespinning vids out as equipment became reasonably cheap and bandwith available...

The amount of spinning tutorials out there is amazing and some are in really good quality...

But what is making "quality"?

I'd start to throw in some advice (not meaning to be comprehensive here - throw in your adive or ideas and help to improve the level of what gets exposed):

preproduction

- make a script of what you want to show - is it going to be a "vid4fun", a short demo of your skills for getting gigs or a tutorial - if you're a graphic fella, even draw a bit of a storyboard - choose your clothing and toys wisely... dark poi in front of dark clothes are not the best contrast - choose the music (and believe it or not, music is important unless it's a tutorial and maybe even then) - choose your location carefully (heavy noise and traffic in the background is diverting attention - be careful of lighting - choose the time (obviously a fire vid in daytime and a tutorial at night are kind-a missing it) - set up the camera (on a (heavy as can be) tripod) and - check the frame (draw (chalk) lines on the floor or use gaffer), this way you're not running away, even if there is nobody operating the camera for you - if you have someone operating camera and sound for you, it's wise to start the music and make a *clap* (two hands clapping infront of the lens) - this way you will find it much easier in postproduction to mate sound and pictures - repeat, repeat, reapeat... often the first take is not going to make it, so do another one and another one and another one

tutorials:

- be clear of what you want to show and ignore that there is a camera in the first place... look at it as you look at a student - repeat the text... nothing more boring than "aaaaaaaaaaaaaahm", "uuuuuh" breaks - keep it short!

postproduction:

- use an editing software... there is plenty out there and often even supplied with the cameras ppl buy... if you don't have some, ask someone who has... DON'T fall for Windows Movie Maker...
I'd guess that editing software gets more and more intuitive in handling and you'll be amazed of the difference you'll achieve between the first and the tenth vid you're editing...
If you really don't know how to use your software... check on youtube... there are ***loads of tutorials on nearly anything, down to "how to tie your shoe laces (around your nose)"

Anything else?

Bring it on, maybe post a link to a video you did and we'll discuss it here. I'm now off my convenient wifi connection for the next month or so, but I'll bounce back and sure there are others too, who can assist...

Keep spinning and make us proud wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I tend to throw a little planning into my tutorials and then bash them out there so if anyone has comments on the way the tutorials are set up that would be nice, might even inspire me to make a few more. tongue2

These two are probably the ones I'm happiest with so they're best to comment on because with the others I know what I don't like about them already...

*cough* made on WMM

hug

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
these are really good advises, i did a lot of tutorials but quality is not high becouse i haven't a good pc for editing (my pc is full of bugs) and no enough patience to do a perfect editing.

Another thing that i want to say about tutorial is that there are a lot of people that don't understand english, expecially spoken english, so is usefull to do clear movement, possibly easy to be undestrood, and subtitles in english can help people that haven't a strong english.

@Mother Nature Son:
i like your tutorials, i prefer that about planes changes. :-)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
nulleamai, this one's for you: debug wink

MNS - see I do like your tutorial, because I already do know *what* your hand is doing to make the poi stop in mid air... you're going through 3:27 mins of footage, to actually give your audience that what should be at the beginning. Which is why I say: wrap your head around it, make a script.

What is it you want to do? Transmit something to the audience.
What is your message? I know how to make stalls and I can explain the thing...

You need to know that this is not one-on-one tuition where you got time to explain and again... you got one shot and if the audience is bored or doesn't get a clue, they switch off and most likely not come back...

Not much editing here anyway, so stick with WMM if you must - other than that, editing software is out there for as little as 80€ or included in a package of a new camera.

However, this one is a very reflected tutorial I'd say... it's a tutorial about how NOT to make a tutorial wink quite funny to watch, because he is aware of his mistakes and has no problem in admitting them...

(wow - that took some time to find it again) here it is:

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
yes! great post Tom!

I think it helps 10000% to try and teach someone the move before you make a tutorial of it. Everyone picks things up in different ways and the way that it makes sense to you may not be the best or most concise way to communicate the movement.
I completly changed how I made my tutorial because of that and I think it makes it more simple and easially digestable.
Here is mine for criticism

Also a pet peeve of mine is people standing talking at the camera and aimlessly making circles with their poi. To me it looks like a nervous habit, like someone who cant stand still or make eye contact while talking to you, it makes it harder to concentrate on what is being said.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
MNS, your vid actually didn't require any editing or post-production... you used WMM merely for rendering and cutting edges... right?

however (without wanting to turn this into a competition, only as a comparison) DaG's vid required an editing software as he used text, put speech after, cut and joined footage together... not sure which one was used but it also looks like WMM.

**** star rating because:

- demonstration of the move, before explaining it
- multiple angles
- speech and pictures go well together
- music (!)
- presentation (a little more light and easy)

* star missing, because

- very much in the distance
- not demonstrating the FULL turn move in the very beginning
as to show "this is what you're going to learn and now let me take you there step-by-step"
- very bleached color

I really recommend a editing software away from MM (don't get me wrong, it's good for what it is but if you're interested in going "one step beyooooond" (*imagine echo and cathedral sound effect*) you will use it for the following reasons:

- you can fully crop your vid
- control brightness and contrast
- use "slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow mmmooooooooooootiiooonnn" (*add low pitched voice efffect*)

and other fancy features to spice up your vid, such as transitions...

But of course if you're the minimalistic type, then editing software is not for you.

Of course you can now cross the Atlantic ocean (or Pacific whatever is yours) and go like:

"heyas guys, my name is *geek* and today I'm going to show you *this*" and in the end say something like "please rate and comment my vid and subscribe to my channel as I'm trying to make a buck at some stage" - perfectly fine.

As we're now in a discussion group, I'd like to throw in my vids (one when I started to make vids and the latest (that I uploaded)) Bear in mind that this is not about teaching anything to anyone but showing what beautiful event it is and to make ppl come to Goa to participate:

[note: I use the URL link - rather than embedding - intentionally because this way I force you to go to my channel wink tongue2 )

oops, now the first trailer of the convention 2008 is missing, I use Jyoti's crystal ball performance instead:

Made with WMM

and now in contrast (one year later, edited with Sony Vegas)

PS: If you haven't noticed, HoP updated the way "how to embed vids" by adding a button "enter a media tag" to the full reply screen menu.

peace keep shining sunny

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, good points. I'm not so well versed in the making tutorial videos thing, I'm better with teaching, especially teaching young kids.

Reason I didn't demonstrate either time is quite simply because I didn't feel like scaring the beginners, but now I see I should have done a "You can learn in this video anything between *easy movement* and *complex movement*"

I'm used to having a captive audience that I don't want to frighten with "Hey! You'll learn to do this today!" "I can't learn that!" But teach it step by step before they have any clue what they're doing and they'll get there.

I'd like to comment on your video, DaG but Toms already done it and I have nothing really to add to your pedagogy, it seems fairly sound... except maybe you could be a tad more explicit with the entry and exit point thing, it seems a little taken for granted that you'll learn from demonstration.

hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Hope you don't get me wrong, myself is not looking for claqeurs or shoulder patting... my fist vids sucked...

only with time comes progress and improvement...

if you look at the way you teach - maybe that's also the way *you* (perfer to) learn... ?

teaching young kids I find quite easy because they have sponge-minds and are not as preoccupied with evaluation as an adult is... try teaching a more-than-beginner young adult, or - maybe even worse, a "know-it-all"...

also there is a difference in fe/male learning... personally I'm more on the male side, so I go like "stop the wabbling and tell me where you're going" - "ah, okay" - "now show me how to get there step by step"...

"everybody is taking a different road to the same destination"

hug

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I 100% agree, I had just gone over the reasons I made errors so I can try to eliminate those from my videos in the future and just thought I'd throw it out there in case its helpful to someone.... somewhere.

I do need more advanced spinners around my area to teach and learn from but theres just not a whole lot.

Actually, the way I teach has more to do with the way I think than anything else, I'm teaching the fundamental components so that the knowledge imparted is more than just the movement itself.

hug

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
I used iMovie (go mac!) which i think may be a little better than WMM, but probably only just.

Your tutorials are great MNS! they touch on some really cool stuff and go into some depth. Plus you are a geek which is awesome!
I do prefer to see moves that I am going to learn at the start of vids, just in case I know the move and not the name, kinda like a preview of whats to come.
It also helps me break it down.

I the speaking to the camera tutorial is hard for me, I waffle too much and make it too complicated. I actually was going to do that with my tutorial, but even scripted I waffled too much. So I decided, when teaching, I will try and minimize the conceptual and emphasise the mechanical.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
go Mac - tell me 'bout it... wink

sumtimes it helps to watch tutorials and learn from the mistakes of others... I never made a tutorial, sure I should try and give it a shot, see how it works... always more easy to criticise than to create wink

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
good ideas sharing in this post,
this is my first tutorial:

and this is the last one

(here i really suck eheh)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
MNS oh on a (very important) sidenote: after trying out on the beach yesterday . your tut really improved my stalls significantly... grin hug

nullea, I like your living room wink [ed]I'm kind-a missing commentary or explanation on the moves (then again Io no parlare Italiano) but I really like the way you spin smile
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1245800348)

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, can't comment a whole lot on what is said, nulleamai but criticisms would include the echoey room, the unsteady camera.

While counting beats I probably would have done it with one poi to demonstrate how the beats are counted.

The different angles thing is nice, though.

I'm glad you got something out of it, Tom, I do think its probably one of the more comprehensive stalls videos out there.

hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
one more thing I feel I need to add

determination shows and if you ever acted as an "extra" on a movie set, they do repeat the scenes over and over and over and again...

sometimes your first take ain't gonna make it... so do a nother one. Don't do more than 3 - 5 at a time, cause the furstation might make it worse... wink

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
One big detail for me is that I don't like voice-overs. They bore and distract me. It is probably because I feel it is not personal anymore and so I have difficultly relating to it. I don't care how good you or your demonstration is, if you can't convey your lesson with clear words and with thorough comprehensive ideas as you do it, then you've lost my interest. I also don't consider demonstrations without verbal descriptions to be complete tutorials either.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Fair enough smile

this is my latest in editing

enjoy smile