Forums > Social Discussion > Pres. Obamas broken election promises

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
"I want you to hold our government accountable. I want you to hold me accountable" Pres. Obama

He's a major icon of hope for change in US politics... which is why he got elected... and certainly there is a difference between "intent" and "action" - usually talk is not as expensive as action and its in the very nature of politics... given that.

This website gives some follow up

PolitiFact

They counted about 500 promises that Obama gave during the campaign

6 of which he broke already

No. 24: End income tax for seniors making less than $50,000 No. 234: Allow five days of public comment before signing billsNo. 240: Tougher rules against revolving door for lobbyists and former officialsNo. 505: Create a $3,000 tax credit for companies that add jobsNo. 508: Allow penalty-free hardship withdrawals from retirement accounts in 2008 and 2009No. 511: Recognize the Armenian genocide

and 8 that he compromised on

No. 3: Eliminate capital gains taxes for small businesses and start-upsNo. 5: Expand the earned income tax creditNo. 32: Create a tax credit of $500 for workersNo. 257: Create the American Opportunity Tax Credit to offset college costsNo. 365: Appoint experienced disaster official to head FEMANo. 434: Set a three-month moratorium on foreclosuresNo. 515: No family making less than $250,000 will see "any form of tax increase."

So let's see where we he goes from here - always remember that being a politician, compromises must be made and promises do get broken... it's like "inevitable" shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
so what promises has he kept? surely those are as important to note as those he has not?

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Actually this question comes faster than predicted smile

No. 15: Create a foreclosure prevention fund for homeowners No. 33: Establish a credit card bill of rights No. 36: Expand loan programs for small businesses No. 40: Extend and index the 2007 Alternative Minimum Tax patch No. 58: Expand eligibility for State Children's Health Insurance Fund (SCHIP) No. 76: Expand funding to train primary care providers and public health practitioners No. 125: Direct military leaders to end war in Iraq No. 134: Send two additional brigades to Afghanistan No. 174: Give a speech at a major Islamic forum in the first 100 days of his administration No. 222: Grant Americans unrestricted rights to visit family and send money to Cuba No. 224: Restore funding for the Byrne Justice Assistance Grant (Byrne/JAG) program No. 239: Release presidential records No. 241: Require new hires to sign a form affirming their hiring was not due to political affiliation or contributions. No. 278: Remove more brush, small trees and vegetation that fuel wildfires No. 290: Push for enactment of Matthew Shepard Act, which expands hate crime law to include sexual orientation and other factors No. 307: Create a White House Office on Urban Policy No. 327: Support increased funding for the NEA No. 346: Appoint an assistant to the president for science and technology policy No. 371: Fund a major expansion of AmeriCorps No. 411: Work to overturn Ledbetter vs. Goodyear No. 421: Appoint an American Indian policy adviser No. 427: Ban lobbyist gifts to executive employees No. 452: Weatherize 1 million homes per year No. 458: Invest in all types of alternative energy No. 459: Enact tax credit for consumers for plug-in hybrid cars No. 480: Support high-speed rail No. 498: Provide grants to encourage energy-efficient building codes No. 502: Get his daughters a puppy No. 503: Appoint at least one Republican to the cabinet No. 507: Extend unemployment insurance benefits and temporarily suspend taxes on these benefits No. 513: Reverse restrictions on stem cell research

Not too bad innit?

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Fire TomHe's a major icon of hope for change in US politics... which is why he got elected... and certainly there is a difference between "intent" and "action" - usually talk is not as expensive as action and its in the very nature of politics... given that.

Fire Tom, are you seriously suggesting that President Obama hasn’t lived up to expectations because he hasn’t fulfilled on six out of five hundred election promises??

Then, perhaps instead of nit picking, you could look at his achievements. Like he just prevented another “Great Depression”, got the US out of Iraq and into Afghanistan where the terrorists really are, forged ahead with two state solution to solve the Israeli–Palestinian conflict, got communication flowing with countries like Iraq and Iran, where he is respected and heaps more.

You only have to look at the change in Iraq with the elections, and interestingly enough the Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei just bumped Great Britian to first place as enemies of Islam to see that.

I hope this doesn't turn into another negative undermining post that brings out all the people with gripes.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
another argument flaring up, Stone... ?? ah, I see your response and my post above had a time-relay wink

Out of more than 500 promises he gave, he broke 6 "already" - which is about 0.1%, on 8 he was compromising - which is another 0.15%...

as you can see above, about 31 he has kept - so that's about 5.1% ... getting his daughter a puppy is a personal one, so that doesn't concern the US public and the rest of the world too much however (it keeps him aóut of trouble at home)

we'll follow up wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
No argument Fire Tom, I have said my peace. I just don’t understand why you would want to nick pick and undermine someone who is a great "world" leader. It seems a bit narrow minded and miserly to me. Though, if you missed the significance of fulfilling his promise to get a puppy for his daughters, then you miss the whole point.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: StoneYou only have to look at the change in Iraq with the elections, and interestingly enough the Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei just bumped Great Britian to first place as enemies of Islam to see that.

Yeah, whoop-de-f*cking-doo.
Great news for us here in Blighty frown

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You feel it's better to bombard Afghan civilians over Iraqi civilians? Then that is you only. The Afghani state needs support to keep Taliban in check - no question, but not at all costs and thus far the US military actions have not really improved too much.

Whether or not it was himself or the mere fact of the US public electing him as president, that prevented another "grand depression" could be a matter of debate.

But certainly the two state solution is vastly older than his presidency and the world was waiting to talk to any new US president whosis not named "D***head" wink

Whether or not he bought his daughter a puppy, really is of no concern to me, or world peace - though it's for his own.

[ed] that much for a catchy title wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1245670420)
EDIT_REASON: titillation

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

I agree UCOF, that didn’t come out very well.

Originally Posted By: Fire TomYou feel it's better to bombard Afghan civilians over Iraqi civilians? Then that is you only. The Afghani state needs support to keep Taliban in check - no question, but not at all costs and thus far the US military actions have not really improved too much.

Fire Tom, I don’t think it better to bomb anyone, but the real war is against the Taliban. I think it naïve to suggest that the Afghani state needs to keep Taliban in check, when the Taliban runs Afghanistan, and have virtually taken over Pakistan.

Originally Posted By: Fire TomWhether or not it was himself or the mere fact of the US public electing him as president, that prevented another "grand depression" could be a matter of debate.

I think President Obama’s policies and rescue packages prevented another great depression, it didn’t just vanish. With unemployment at about 9.5 % in the USA plenty of people are feeling it’s impact.
Originally Posted By: Fire TomBut certainly the two state solution is vastly older than his presidency and the world was waiting to talk to any new US president whosis not named "D***head"

True, there have been many poor presidents in recent years, and having a president that people can look up to with respect and trust is a distinct advantage. BTW, if as you say, Bush was so bad, then why aren’t you supporting Obama? Its very rare in politics that someone comes along with Obama’s ability and commitment. Seem to me people like that need our support.

Originally Posted By: Fire TomWhether or not he bought his daughter a puppy, really is of no concern to me, or world peace - though it's for his own.

Perhaps Fire Tom, it's not all about you! Keeping promises is always important, especially to family, who are often over looked in politics. And wot you don’t like puppies?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Stone, pardon me but I'm really short of time, only that much:

1) Teach a man how to fish

2) Trazillions of $$$ got poured into the market from more than just the US government... your enthusiasm is honored but I'd suggest you shouldn't over-rate Obama in this one.

I don't know much about "markets" but I know one thing: they act because they feel petted or let down... so the mere fact that Obama was elected gave a lot of hope to the entire world that the US public is not as ignorant and deaf as it seemed in the re-election of GWB... stimulating the market... etc...

3) the only poor president "in recent years" has been exactly - one

3.1) what makes you think I'm not supporting him... ? only because I am not in extasy over anything that he's (not doing)... I might be the worst groupie ever, but I do support Obama

4) Dude, the amount of chipmunks on your shoulder is amazing - you seem not to hear anything as they are all munching on their hazels:

keeping promises IS important... so (as to take one example) why is he not acknowledging the genocide of the Armenian people?

To me (and the Armenians) this would be WAY higher up the priority list than a puppy for his daughters. I l.o.v.e. puppies and if you say one more time otherwise, I'll tattoo it on the very inside of your eyelids.

Non-Https Image Link

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
noting shortcomings in other people doesnt have to mean you dont like them.

i think it very useful to have such a website keeping record of both success, failure, and compromise (i use these terms loosely). in the future it could provide a reference point for re-evaluation of issues so they can hopefully be addressed even better than the prior compromise or failure to address at all.

i see the issue of the puppy as symbolic really. if someone doesnt keep promises to his family it i wouldnt want him to be my elected official, however on the scale of his actions while being a good testament to his character i think there are bigger issues that need investigating. making the list in one line dot points is not a good reflection of the varying difficulty different issues require to be successfully addressed. as has been mentioned the sum of all 500 odd promises cannot be viewed as equal because i'm sure some are a LOT harder to tackle than others.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
yes It's like that... "shortcomings" is what makes us human - it's part of the experience... smile

I find the website quite informal and noted the underlying negativity in it, when all they really do is keeping track. And that's the important part.

Puppies are okay and I guess the Americanos can't sleep too well knowing that there are bad guys out there and the cavalry is NOT shooting some natives for that matter... [/hgihly sarcastic statement] So I'd say he's doing quite alright so far...

And would guess the puppy was on the mroe easy end of that list.... wink

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i dont know, trying to pick puppys when the kids would probably want every one they see could get pretty intense.... tongue2

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
absolute cr*p.

im allowed to be me entirely - and never have to make any promises. be it relationships, work, friends... im me full stop. maybe im a naive little labrador - but ive never been in the situation that ive had to make promises that would justify/contravene how i normally act.

come to elections it seems promises are everything. are we electing the person or the promises? times change. people change. situations change.

was obamas ideas a promise or a PLAN? can anyone dissociate?

seriously - if i plan a project a year ahead - i have to account for change. id be an idiot to run along with all 500 little ideas in my head and not adapt to the situation at hand.

with my work - i wouldnt make the same decisions in June that i did a year ago. so i find it interesting why we expect our leaders to be different. 500 odd opinions/ideals/promises from a year ago and we are sifting through the wrecking for tidbits. let alone changes in the world over 4 years of presidency.

how many of us have held to that many beliefs/opinions from a years ago till now? are we not allowed to change/grow/adapt?

it seems that to be a politician - those vague ideas and thoughts that define you MUST be stated publicly - so you can be ridiculed when you have the sheer audicity to adapt/change your perspective.

ill admit sometimes its change in perspective... sometimes its a downright lie.

but if i was forced into that boat would i be any different?
sometimes a little pragratism and compromise is needed to change the world.

but our public has this FEAR of broken promises... when we've never really been forced to experience accountability for ourselves. pathetic humankind blaming everyone else for our shortcomings again.

the curse of power in this informational mediacentric based age i suppose.... also lots of idiots like us who spend too much time typing this s**t up on blogs, rather than actually doing something ourselves to change things ourselves.

D ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: mjkin the future it could provide a reference point for re-evaluation of issues

like i said. knowing where you came from can only help improve where you're going.

its true though the scandal created when promises are broken are for the most part ridiculous.
EDITED_BY: Mr Majestik (1245916388)
EDIT_REASON: bad quoting

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Detrassi, I would kinda agree, if it wans't for the fact that he's running one of the most powerful nations on the planet...

A politician is often defined by how much he can make ppl believe that he will fix things and how fast he can make them forget what he said in the first place... Bush certainly did a wonderful job, so he got re-elected.

Obama wants to make a difference and not just look good and talk rubbish... maybe he wants to set a precedent and pave the way for another ethnic minority prez or even a woman...

it's not about beliefs/ opinions - it's about saying: "I'm going to do this or that! Trust ME, I'm going to do it!"

Doesn't it stem from right there, dunnit?

It's not that much about "a scandal" anyway, it's about: "is he living up to the expectations he himself created in other people or is he not?"
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1245950854)
EDIT_REASON: lingo

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I think it’s about how we measure success.

From my point of view, I like what President Obama has done on the world stage. He has exceeded my expectations, and had brought the world closer together. I also think he has helped prevent another great depression with his policies in the US.

Others, with a more bean counter approach, might judge him by the number of election promises he has broken. Which is a rather negative way to judge someone, imo. So, why not judge him on the number of policies he has kept? Which in the example is 494 promises kept, out of 500 promises made. That’s a 99 per cent strike rate. If that’s not good enough, then it’s obvious that some critics have their head buried in the sand, and aren’t keeping up with the political happens in the world.

Then there are others who are never satisfied, and just like pulling down "tall-poppies", for what ever reasons.

Cheerio smile

EDITED_BY: Stone (1245967491)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Jo brother, well spoken.... yet

maybe you consider the level of these promises.

As I tried to explain, in my view butying a puppy is not quite the same as acknowledging the genocide of the Amrenian people... (just as an example). Mowing my neighbors lawn is not quite the same as returning money I've borrowed.

The mere number of promises kept is irrrelevant.

I too like to focus on a positive approach but sometimes peoplle are getting confused in their attempt to "fix their picture of the world"...

Let me drag a really extreme example into the open only to display: there are ppl out there, who claim that Hitler has been a great man, only because under his regime, the Autobahn has been developed and the unemployment was low and so was the crime rate. All three are correct observations, only greatly misjudging, because the Autobahn has mainly been built as to transport troops and armoury - thus in preparation of a war, also the "full employment" was mainly due to ppl working in the arms industry and that the reports about crimes often got censored - amongst a lot of other reasons, why Hitler has neither been a grand leader, nor a great man.

Discernment smile

[ps - the 1st sentence of my pm was in context to it's header hug ]
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1245972413)
EDIT_REASON: ps

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
god damn hitler hijacking prez. obamas thread!!! call godwins law.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTomDetrassi, I would kinda agree, if it wans't for the fact that he's running one of the most powerful nations on the planet...

why is that different??? i would say the larger the project, the more important it is for the leading man/woman to be able to adapt and change with the times.

yes, the US is powerful. i would rather see an adaptable president who understood the change and the ambiguitity of the real world controlling the nuclear bombs... as opposed to a stiff reserved prick whose greatest global travel is Canada, who understnads nothing of diversity, charity etc etc, and cannot deal with how the real world DOES change over 8 years. despite what Cheney and his Halliburton mates say...

i think obama will be very much like clinton. people only read the sensationalist censored about his life. they will forget the hundreds of excellent policies and plans thet were implemented - because people are far too busy trying to stab holes in a generally good man.

D.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
fair points... hope Clinton will not be remembered for never inhaling and having his pride ... well whatever.

On the other hand I feel it's necessary not to highfly ppl more than they deserve. In another thread someone called Ronald Reagan "a good man"... umm I mean ppl might be busy trying to stab holes - just wait a few years and they will not remember that they could and will call GWB "the man who protected our homeland"

Ya know if I'm going out there and say "guys gimme that job and I will fix the pipe and on and on" and after I don't live up to the expectations I raised, then it kind-a sucks, no?

Yes, we all need to stay flexible and face everydays challenges as soon as they arise... but shouldn't get totally carried away.

Just to put it out one more time: I'm not saying Obama's bad... I hope he will have enough time to work it all out.