Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > How may hours a day do you spin?

Login/Join to Participate

roach
stranger

Total posts: 11
Posted:I just started out and I try to get 30min-1 hour of spinning a day.

How often do you spin and how long?

-roach

Delete Topic

Mother_Natures_Son
Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.
Total posts: 2418
Posted:I spin little bits throughout the day. Like 1 min, 2 min at a time.

Depends how much I've got to do but I spose I usually get like 15 min a day. Then once a week or once a fortnight I try to get a good chunk of time in.

hug

Delete

pineapple pete
pineapple pete

water based
Total posts: 5125
Posted:if i span as much as i did calculus id be a much better spinner..

unfortunately, by doing that much calc, theres not much time left in the day to spin! tongue2

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Delete

Mannimal
Mannimal

The Mannimal
Total posts: 13
Posted:I've just started about a month ago, and I try to spin at least 1 hour a day, sometimes 2. If I miss a night, I usually spin three hours the next time. But I'm one of those that dives into something until I learn a bit of it.

-M

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.
Posted:Yeah, I HAMMERED at it in the beginning, tis the best way, get all those basics rolling then build on em more slowly and with a little more thought to the direction you want to take.

hug

Delete

pineapple pete
pineapple pete

water based
Total posts: 5125
Posted:yeah.. overseas was a completely different kettle of fish.. spinning lots on most days.. really learnt a lot, experimented a lot, developed a *lot*... fun and important times indeed smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Delete

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:Actually very little at the moment. Need to get some quality time in....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

FreakyHair
stranger

Total posts: 18
Posted:Just bits and bobs throughout the day,, i have them on me all the time so I spin quite a lot at school. Also spin a lot whe Im out chiling with mates. Its good to get an hour or so in by yourself whe you start off, I did about an hour a day for a while.

You need to get the feel of the poi and i find that doing it while chilling out is a good way to do that.

peace an love

Delete

philisweatly
philisweatly

life's a garden, dig it
Total posts: 115
Posted:finals are almost done so I'll have a little more time. but working two jobs gives little time to spin. But I have sets all around my house so I'll grab a few minutes here and there.

haha

Delete

Chloe'
Chloe'

enthusiast
Total posts: 324
Posted:It varies for me. I try to spin at least 30 minutes a day though. Weekends are at about 1+ hours.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

Delete

bbrittanee
bbrittanee

Poi + Hoop
Total posts: 21
Posted:I just started about a week ago.. I havent picked them up every day.. but i def. want to start. Ive just been busy all day and at night i just rather pass out.

Though when i do get into it, i spin for about an hour. Usually until i improve a little more from the previous time.

Beginning is fustrating.

-- When we communicate with one another and we feel that we have connected and we think were understood.. i think we have a feeling of almost spiritual communion
I think its what we live for ♥

Delete

roach
stranger

Total posts: 11
Posted:Just got back from spinning for 1 1/2 hours smile And it was my first time seeing someone spin fire.

Delete

philisweatly
philisweatly

life's a garden, dig it
Posted:good times

haha

Delete

feelscape
feelscape

stranger
Total posts: 13
Posted:between 30 minutes and 5 hours a day, depends on my mood.

Delete

Kitanne
Backyard Spinners Brigade
Total posts: 5
Posted:During the spring/summer, I spin throughout the day. I'm do twenty minutes here and there two or three times during the day. I like spend some time working on new tricks or perfecting old ones during those short spins.

At night, once it gets dark enough for my LED poi, I tend to just spin for myself as sort of dancing meditation? I just sort of go blank and let my hands and body do whatever it likes until I feel tired or bored. I probably average 2 hours a day.

I spun for three hours with a few five minutes breaks a few weeks ago. I could barely raise my arms the next day! Won't do THAT again.

EDITED_BY: Kitanne (1242782010)

When can I go back to New Zealand?

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.
Posted:Originally Posted By: Kitanne
I spun for three hours with a few five minutes breaks a few weeks ago. I could barely raise my arms the next day! Won't do THAT again.

I put deep heat on before I spin if I'm going to go crazy like that and whenever I do so I end up feeling just fine!

hug

Delete

cleezy
cleezy

journeyman
Total posts: 58
Posted:i spin atleast it 30 mins a day an hour on days hen i dont have homework/don't feel like doing homework. hour and a half when i get that gay spin vibe goin... smile
me love poi!

Delete

Laura_OHare

Total posts: 26
Posted:I only started this week but I have been doing at least half an hour every day, but usually about an hour. I'm in the middle of exams at the minute but as soon as they're over, I'm aiming to get at least 1-2 hours a day in.

Delete

Flame
Flame

addict
Total posts: 435
Posted:oh my god you guys are so dedicated - So saying there was a point where i think i would of done about half an hour a day - I think i need to get back into the swing of things smile

*In the car while Pink is playing on the radio*
Tristan aged 4 : "Mum is this Pink?"
Flame:"Yes mate this is Pink?"
Tristan:"Are you going to Pink?"
Flame:"Yes i am"
Tristan:"Cool well I'm going to BLUE" smile

Delete

Flame
Flame

addict
Total posts: 435
Posted:I am pleased to announce I finally picked up my poi last night for atleast half hour Yay!!

*In the car while Pink is playing on the radio*
Tristan aged 4 : "Mum is this Pink?"
Flame:"Yes mate this is Pink?"
Tristan:"Are you going to Pink?"
Flame:"Yes i am"
Tristan:"Cool well I'm going to BLUE" smile

Delete

Rives
Rives

Nothing but circles and smiles...
Total posts: 118
Posted:I've had alot of free time on my hands and relize I might have been spinning too much.... once I get going its hard to stop. a few hours a day atleast.

Delete

-sandy-
-sandy-

old hand
Total posts: 716
Posted:About 2 hours a day for the first 3 years now its more like 30 minutes a day with 2 hours on mondays and Tuesdays (at the local clubs)

"Don't do it naked!"

Delete

AleciaLJ
stranger
Total posts: 6
Posted:Today was the shortest time-40 minutes. Typically it's 60-90 minutes a day. Time flies, but I'm still just starting out.

Those who say nothing is impossible have never tried to slam a revolving door.

Delete

T-S-A
T-S-A

Magic Monkey Juice
Total posts: 252
Posted:I have been spinning propperly for about 4 months, when I was unemployed I would spin for about 2-3 hours a day out on the beach, take some lunch and make an afternoon of it, better than sitting in. I now practice for about 45 minutes before work and 45 minutes after, I take my poi with me everywhere though so whenever I get a free minute or on my breaks I will have a play around with some of the things I have been working on.

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

Delete

DyamiTK
DyamiTK

beginner forever
Total posts: 159
Posted:I don't put my poi down, ever.
Not even when I am spinning something else like staff, I am really still spinning poi.
Even when am am dancing without any props at all, I still feel my poi in my hands.
When I sleep I keep my poi at my feet and we dance together in my dreams.

Delete

squid
squid

sanguine
Total posts: 382
Posted:I feel so slack. It used to be 2-3 hours every day for the first couple of years (obsessive, I know). then I got distracted by staff, hoop, meteors, club-swinging, contact ball, and tying my shoelaces. Im trying desperately to get my lazy butt off this computer to go be poiactive, but I got yard work and meteors (or staff) that are calling.

If I get 20 minutes in this week, I'd be impressed. *sheepish*

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Delete

dylan_jordan
stranger
Total posts: 2
Posted:it does depend on what i am doing, if im just practicing i can work on a routine for about 2 hours but if im trying to learn a move then i can (and have) been spinning for 5-6 hours...i can be pretty bad at some point.

Delete

kdldamn
stranger
Total posts: 23
Posted:My first 4-5 months, it was 5 hours a day minimum. I was in school and didn't have a job, and my teachers let me spin in class as long as I got all my work done, so I had a lot of time to practice. Now I'm at 1 year, 7 months and I just do it when I'm bored. An average of 30 minutes a day maybe.

So, what's up?

Delete

philisweatly
philisweatly

life's a garden, dig it
Posted:it's sad when people slow down with their practice. KEEP IT GOING STRONGER! hell, every time I move onto a new move I practice that much more. I have different sets in all the rooms of my house and outside (when I'm tending to my 40 acres) so it's easy to get a lot of time in. poi is like a song that gets stuck in your head, until you hear it again you can't stop thinking about it. then when you hear it, you want it that much more!

haha

Delete

kith
Object Manipulation Student
Total posts: 20
Posted:As often as I can...yet sometimes as often as I cannot.

In the cyclic nature of things I find my desire to spin ebbs and flows. I get into it for months, spinning every day and thinking about nothing else.

Then i'll put it down for a few months and not really focus on it, though I do dedicated burns every sunday no matter how I feel, rain or shine.

I've found that I push myself until I burn out with it, then do something else until i'm ready to come back to it.

This is good beacause...even when i'm not being an active conduit channeling 'it' through my poi into a physical manifestation, I am still thinking about it in the back of my mind.

Whenever I come back to it after a break, not only can I just nail the things i was working on before the break, but i'm ready for new stuff. When your mind works it over while you aren't actively working on it...then everything is cleaner when you come back to it.

So I guess the answer is physically for hours a day (which includes mental by default) or just mentally all day long in the back of my head.

Delete