Forums > Technical Discussion > Best LED/glow battery opterated poi?

Login/Join to Participate

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
At the moment i have Oggz on colecords that i love. However I dont want to take the large charger when with me when i go travelling so will be looking for some battery operated poi.

I have been waiting on hyperlights but i dont think they will be out until october time.

Would anyone recommend getting flowpoi or flowpoi duo from flowlights website? I am after something more like poi than glowsticks but i have heard they are good. Maybe something like flowpoi and flowmass? or just get flowpoi and attatch something heavy to them

The reason for this is that i dont want them to run off 4 aaa batteries really. 2 would be fine.

I have colecords and nylon double loop handles so would not need the handles, unless anyone can recommend single loop for any reason.

Sorry for all the babble and thank for answers in advance

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Why post a new thread when there is a perfectly good one here [Old link]

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Becasue

A. I have read it
B. It doesnt answer my question about weight and flomass
C. It doesnt answer question about single loop use instead of double

cheers anyway!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
well you can still post in that thread, and just post your questions in there.

its pointless making a new thread, when that one is close to what your talking about.

its considered a waste of bandwith to create a new topic when one very close to the subject in which you can post those questions already exists

and to answer your original question, how big can the oggz charger really be that you would rather buy new stuff that will cause further expense with buying batteries to run it?

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
im travelling, for 7 months, with a 45litre 'day bag' keeping everything small and light as possible

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
yes i understand that, but again i ask how big can it really be to make you want to to goto all this extra trouble?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Its no trouble at all. Extra money yes, but i would sell my custom made oggz anyway. This would mean me getting flowlight duo for about a tenner

Quite big, im in thailand for 3 months and will be taking my socks, some glow and fire poi with me. I dont really want to be messing around with loads of chargers. I'm already taking my phone and ipod chargers (and all the converters)

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
personally i would rather get a small case/bag the size of the charger and attach it to my rucksack rather than getting different glopoi that i would then have to fork out for batteries etc...

EDIT: get yaself one of these
Non-Https Image Link

put all ya chargers into that, attach to rucksack, job done, and freed up space in main rucksack
EDITED_BY: simta (1209654534)

philisweatlySILVER Member
life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
Hey I'm bringing back up this older posts to get more input on OGG poi vs. Flowlights. My LED glow poi I got from HOP just broke yesterday. The little on/off twist button on one of them does not turn on the poi anymore. So now I'm looking into some new toys. Price is not an issue really, I just want to know how other spinners feel and what they like/dislike from either ogg and flowlights. thanks.

haha

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
My recommendation is to find some oggs near you and make your own... I dont like the way the other ones are designed with the LED component on the end that would take all the blows.

As for flowlights vs oggs...

Flowlights =practice and PERFORMANCE
Oggs = PRACTICE and performance.

Oggs aren't as pretty but they don't hurt near as much taking one to the head. They do the job and having a recharging dock makes it super easy to charge them. rechargable AAAs aren't a huge amount more difficult if you keep a system.... rarely do I stick to a system, however.

hug

life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
thanks MNS. I just ordered some oggz from spinsterz.com on Monday. I didn't even think of buying the actuall home decor lights and making my own but oh well. I'm way out in the country and I doubt anywhere near me sells them. I'll just have to save my money for flowlights later this year. and hopefully when hyperlights come out, IF EVER! just playing.

peace

haha

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Are hyperlights even still in the making? Last time i checked was about a year ago i think

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I saw a few months ago a post in which he said they were still on the go, hiccups in life and production delay I think..

hug

life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
yea they should still be in production but no offense to them, I wouldn't hold my breath. By the way, I just got my Oggz in the mail yesterday and they are great. The ropes they are on are very decent and the handles are made of a much better nylon than expected. They are nice and bright and well weighted and they spin wonderfully. I'm a very happy about my purchase. Now I'll just get some cole cord and see what all the fuss is about.

haha

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Jon (Hyperlight) has recently changed job with all the upheaval that brings. I'm certain Hyperlights are still being developed, though as always I think it's a case of watch this space smile

life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
if he can at least give us some more videos, I watch the take two video on you tube all the time. a few more videos would suffice for me. HYPER!

haha

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Monsieur le Chutney is correct. I'm off work this week and have a chance to work on things some more.

No offense taken - I know we're not moving as fast as anyone (myself included) would like, but we're still progressing. I'm off to visit the manufacuring department tonight to try and get the plastic part manufacturing right and program / test the latest electronics boards.

Maybe it _is_ time we had a new video though. What d'you reckon chutney? Fancy doing another? :-)

Cake or Death?

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Send *me* some prototypes! I'll make a vid. grin

*drools uncontrollably all over himself*

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I would also like to offer my services....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I've been planning the follow up vid for years smile *cough*I was in and edited the last one*cough*

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Jeeez, with years of planning behind it, it'll be a crackerjack show, Mr_Chutney. grin

Will there be spaceships and flamingos?

hug

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Well I have one new prototype. Still needs some more tweaking to stop the batteries getting stuck (amongst other things), but the general build works very well!

Cake or Death?

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Ooooh. Shiny. smile

I can't help but imagine thats metal... and the kind of damage that would do to ones teeth in the event that it would collide with ones face.

Looks like a huge change from the ball design you were trialing, looked like a lot of work had gone into the ball.

hug

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
That's why they'll have a protected foam layer in the sock smile

It is a huge change and I put in some serious hours to the ball, but unless we're sure the market's big enough, we can't afford to start with the balls. They'd have been about the same weight anyway...

Cake or Death?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
But, but, METAL?!

I'll have to trust you on this one Jon smile

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Metal with foam round it doesnt actually fuss me all that much, really. I like weighty poi and I doubt I'd want to pay the price tag of the hyperlights unless it was a suitable weight... What do those babies weigh anyhow?

hug

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Should be an incentive not to hit oneself anyway wink

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Sounds almost as good as my plan for accelerated learning using cricket balls....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
~100g each

Cake or Death?

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
your all 'fraidy cats, stop the whining and pass em here jon

Originally Posted By: astonSounds almost as good as my plan for accelerated learning using cricket balls....

i have old sock poi with indoor cricket balls in them, great action to the poi, but yes they did hurt.