Forums > Technical Discussion > Coloured salt issueloured salts

Login/Join to Participate

TideGOLD Member
Future pyrotechnician...? Or something.
111 posts

Posted:
Alrighty, I'm new here (hello) and I've been having issues with coloured salts. I've been experimenting in mostly very cold and not-as-cold situations, but I have used warming-baths to heat up the fuel to increase what it can dissolve.

Here's what happens for magnesium sulfate (epsom salts):
Using methylated spirits, magnesium sulfate did not dissolve that much and left most of itself behind, the substance that might have been dissolved did nothing but make the flame a little bit hotter without giving any colours.

Here's what happens for copper sulfate (bluestone):
Using two methods...
1. I tried dissolving the copper sulfate directly into the methylated spirits. It got very cloudy blue, then the copper settled onto the bottom and left a slightly blue methylated spirits behind. It burned with no colour difference.
2. I dissolved the copper sulfate into water, then poured it into the methylated spirits. It did not mix, as instead I had watery methylated spirits and the copper formed a blue rocky-cake-like substance at the bottom, and if the liquid was poured on organic materials (such as grass or cotton balls), it released a visible fume.

However, on both attempts there was the odd flash of the green flame.
_____

So far, the only salt that has worked out was sodium chloride and that gives what kerosene does, but at a more expensive and complicated cost.

What am I doing wrong, or could do better, that could be stopping me from mixing my fuel with the colourant?

Thanks ahead!

This statement is false...?

Mr. Wally-ishSILVER Member
There's always room for 11 people in a two man tent
31 posts

Posted:
Hello there welcome

Firstly, I havent had any experience at all with coloured salts - wow does that instill you with confidence? - But i take it you are trying to colour your flame, no?

I can though suggest boric acid, which when mixed into the methylated spirits and lit, will burn a nice bright green and will look pretty nifty at night. The only problem with this is it leaves a filthy residue on your kevlar wicks, if thats what your using. I have some old staff ones that i converted for my coloured flame.

hope my rambling makes some sense, or is helpful in some way. Also, you can search the HOP forums for more information on coloured flames, as there is alot of info floating around out there

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
try dissolving the salts in denatured alcohol

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

TideGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
Mr Wally-ish

But boric acid I've heard is not great on your respiratory track after a while. However, I'm looking into other fuel mixes. Thanks for the suggestion!

Poje
Methylated spirits = Denatured alcohol tongue2

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
were your methylated spirits mineralised? i.e purple...

I had difficulty with mineralised meths a few years ago.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Mr. Wally-ishSILVER Member
There's always room for 11 people in a two man tent
31 posts

Posted:
Yeah so I've heard. I just sp0in outside, for a couple of min, in a very well ventilated area.

TideGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
@ Mynci
They were perfectly clear. I'll try a different brand next time, methylated spirits is fairly cheap anyway. Although I'll keep mineralised metho = issues in mind. Thankyou!

Mr. Wally-ish
Doesn't solve the issue about not dissolving, but spinning in well ventilated areas does prevent problems!
_____

EDIT!
Would it indicate "mineralised" or "non-mineralised" on the bottle when purchasing? If not, where are LIKELY sources of non-mineralised?
EDITED_BY: Tide (1245835396)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I am not 100% sure but I think mineralised is the stuff that is usually blue or purple.

Oh! Mynci said that, so my assumption turns out to have been correct.

Non-mineralised should be clear.

hug

TideGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
The stuff I had WAS clear, but it was from Coles (so...).

What brand of methylated spirits have you used for colouring?
___

EDIT!
It's Winter in Sydney at the moment, could cold weather effect solubility THAT much?
EDITED_BY: Tide (1245841261)

TideGOLD Member
111 posts

Posted:
I might've missed something in the rules if it states against bumping, but in any case my apologies if that's the case.

Anyway, anyone have any ideas? Anything?