Forums > Advanced Staff moves > double staff and poi (aka "combo")

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yesterday night, here in Bali, a local (yavanese) performer (by the name of "Burhan") demonstrated to me (for the first time in MY life) the usage of

2 Staff and
2 Poi

simultaneously....

He coins it "combo"

Short video will come asa I have bandwith... for the time being: can he claim this as being "unique" and not been done (or published) before?

Or is there any proof out there that someone else has done it already?

[edit: errm that would be one poi and one staff in each hand]

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1245031327)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I've done 1 staff and 2 poi before, I was doing the movement I called "canoes" and pretended I was paddling a kayak.

hug

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
imakokode has done it before on video.

ryan from la has done it with three sectional staffs also.
EDITED_BY: mcp (1245059800)
EDIT_REASON: ryan

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Any idea where the ima video would be now??

hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
hmmm,
I'm checking on YouTube and sendd him a message to learn about the details...

Ryan has done Poi with 3-sectional staff? ... not quite the same innit?

However thanks heeps for the info

smile

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Does it matter whether or not its 100% unique? Is he thinking of getting a patent out on it?

hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
No he isn't, but I'll do it for him tongue2

I'm just curious, because he's working in a very isolated environment... not tooo many spinners here.

It'd be interesting to see "morphogenetic fields @ work"

once more...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTom
Ryan has done Poi with 3-sectional staff? ... not quite the same innit?

No, it's much harder.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I guess so devil any vids on that one?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: imakokodeActually i do remember someone trying to spin staf with a poi in the centre, but i wouldn't imagine it was me!! (...)

so this one returned without further leads...

as three sectional staff ain't the same as double staff - Ryan, you're a hero but so far Burhan is the sole "owner" of

spinning double staff with one poi in either hand... aka "combo"

He's not making a claim, he's a humble Javanese spinner, he does it and he calls it that...

any other claims - please leap forward wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1245168152)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Oh, maybe it was that fuk group, or I don't know their names, they released a ton of weird videos with random amounts of bad special effects, new props, and spinning on them. Ima might know the group.

Whatever, as much as I want to watch all of those french guys videos again, just to find a tiny bit of spinning in it, what's the point? Why don't you do your own internet research if you're so keen to claim 'ownership' of it?

And it's not called combo, it's called whatever the hell anyone wants to call it, that's done it before or after this guy that has no internet and has done no research. And it certainly wouldn't be called as confusing a name as combo. I mean get real. Let's call this new move, 'trick' That'll help all of our naming conventions and clarity of conversations.

I would say double three sectional staff is pretty much the same as double staff. And ryan won't be on here, like I said, he's from LA, he'll be on tribe. And even if it's not on video, I saw it with my own eyes. Which I'm going to claim ownership of.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
maybe its been the flying s monster ... I've seen it and b has seen it too...

i don't care. you make a claim, back it up.

as to "double-three-sectional-staff-with-two-poi-in-each-hand" start yer own thread then tongue2

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
He can claim he "came up with it" if he likes... but its silly for anyone to try to claim they were "the first to come up with it"

Its not really such a wild idea. I've seen a guy attach a poi to each end of his staff and give that a whirl around.

Its not as though double staves and poi are really a wild idea. It doesn't in itself make me think "Wow! Thats amazing." You'd have to show me something amazing with it first.

hug

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I'm not claiming to be the first one who came up with it - i'm claiming that HE is the first one who came up with it and i do by posting it here. the vid will come asa i have sufficient bandwith... a vid usually consists of a lot of "0 and 1"... more than this line can handle...

"a guy attaching a poi at the end of his staff and gives it a whirl around" is not quite like "burhan, holding a staff and a poi in each hand at the same time (all 6 wicks lit) giving it a whirl around" (which is what "combo" is)

if you're not amazed, i suggest you give it a shot, dude

hug
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1245206333)
EDIT_REASON: 2nd lingo details

Mr. Wally-ishSILVER Member
There's always room for 11 people in a two man tent
31 posts

Posted:
Thats pretty epic. I have seen a few videos on youtube of people spinning doubles and poi, lit up at the same time. I can also say i have played around with the idea too, but as I'm still learning doubles and poi - having played with contact until now - I haven't really gotten anywhere. That said I like the combination of the two and the sort of merging between double staff and poi, which are fairly similar in there ways, and I like the relationship of movement between them.

But enough rambling by me...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
smile keep coming ... next time maybe drop a link or two?

you'll get a cookie for it laugh3

31 posts

Posted:
I'm quite partial to cookies laugh3

Ill have a trawl round on the internets. I also have a video stored somewhere on my computer from some fire spinning event held a while ago, and the finale in the performance was poi and doubles. Not sure where it went though.

Heres the video i found. Its from the Threeworlds fire competition held back in November in 2007. It's a long video, and the double staff and poi are from 5.54 to about 7.00min
EDITED_BY: Mr. Wally-ish (1245211137)
EDIT_REASON: added link to post

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
finally someone who speaks english wink jupp that is it...

morphogenetic fields @ work, as he's also doing it for about 2 years something...

chapeau and merci beaucup for your efforts - have a waffle then... stack 'em high hug2 beerchug

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: FireTom (1245224607)
EDIT_REASON: waffle supply and beer

31 posts

Posted:
I apologize profusely for hopping randomly off topic but speaks english? and jupp? and what exactly are morphogenetic fields? they sound interesting.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Waffles. make my mouth water

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
In this case it is basically meaning people coming up with the same ideas at around the same time.

Jupp would probably be yes. Not sure what language, my guess is Northern European (Swedish or similar) or a German dialect. Or just a different spelling of yip, which is how I say it.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

31 posts

Posted:
Good old slang language messing people around since who knows when.

And in regards to 'meaning people coming up with the same ideas at around the same time' people are bound to come up with ideas like this at any given time. Its the creativity about spinning that I like, that basically keeps new art forms popping up all over the world, which means that as long as one person keeps spinning fire, it's going to inspire others to come up with brilliant ideas.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ah well then take it as "yap"... Misters, that is exactly what it is... common creativity.... or "creative commons" smile

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
well me and garthy were messing around with doubles and poi last year at fire gathering, we were calling it 'spoi' but tbh we lost interest in it and didnt really push it very far.

Dont really care about any 'ownership' rubbish, if someone has done it before you, who cares, if your having fun and it looks cool thats all that matters smile

"Don't do it naked!"

31 posts

Posted:
that sounds like damn good logic to me

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: FireTommaybe its been the flying s monster ... I've seen it and b has seen it too...

i don't care. you make a claim, back it up.

as to "double-three-sectional-staff-with-two-poi-in-each-hand" start yer own thread then tongue2

No I don't think you understand: I don't care. It's an idea, other people have done before, with minimal skill required. like the basic amount of poi skill combined with the basic amount of double staff skill.

I am so amazed that someone came up with this before. What will be next? Two Staffs IN ONE HAND! No way, hey, what about your other hand, you could do FOUR STAFFS AT ONCE. You know what we could do? Attach POI to the END of a staff! Not just one end, BOTH! and then do doubles! NAH, WHAT ABOUT Doing it with all four staffs! Whill holding staffs AND POI between our elbows... and hey knees too, for completeness sake... Hey, maybe we could have two staff ATTACHED by poi! NO WAY! or maybbbeeeeee, a staff that WAS NOT STRAIGHT! CURVED STAFFS! I'll call them S-Staffs, 2 in each hand with POI on the end, Connected by chains, and the chains have WICKS on them! WOO, I CLAIM OWNERSHIP Of ALL of THAT!

I will go and make patents on all of them, and nobody will provide a priori evidence to challenge them. Win.

That is the flying Sarcasm monster at work.

If you make a claim that some dude was the first back it up with video evidence of NOBODY doing it before hand. I won't do your research for you, that would make you lazy and me an idiot. You go and do it, if you can be bothered. Or perhaps your interest only extends to crowing about your silent friend and not actually doing anything productive? I mean, nice of you to try and find videos for him of other people doing it, but why bother hey, when you can just claim ownership of it instead?

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
i think my friend's been doing that as part of his fire act for a while now, a couple years at least.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You're a bit late into the thread MCP - your ranting is a cool midsummer nights breeze in the wake of Mr. Wally-ishes kindness and determination wink

It's already sorted, no cookies or waffles for you... oh well then, have some anyway wink

to all that participated so far: thanks hug

Nutmeg - get it (or don't) we move on different planes... *sigh*

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah, no censored. You're the hippy that claims ownership.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
laugh3 ntmg from you, I take it as a compliment wink

burning_ninjanewbie
39 posts

Posted:
I've tried four staff and four poi once, I was just experimenting cause it was all sitting on the ground in front of me, it was clumsy and cluttered but it worked. If that guy was doing it smoothly then I say he's a frikkin legend, cause I'd rather see someone do two poi and two staffs than four staffs in contact just cause mixing weapons forms is quite difficult, like try doing single staff contact and three ball juggling I do it for a laugh since it really is a little beyond my juggling abilities at the moment

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

burning_ninjanewbie
39 posts

Posted:
I agree that it isn't overly hard to do two staffs and two poi, but it's harder than just doing multiples of the same prop type, cause I get really sick of people telling me to do like four staff contact when I'd rather try one staff contact and play with some other form of prop like meteor

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion

Page: