Forums > Technical Discussion > are tennis balls good for fire poi?

Login/Join to Participate

random joshstranger
8 posts

Posted:
yeh um my names josh or JD as somepoeople call me!??
I need your advice,
is it a good idea to use tennis balls conected to your basic dog chain for fire poi,
i use them for practice but i think im ready for fire, what cheap things are good to use for fire poi???

please contact me back

JD

JD
honesty is the best policy
but insanity is the best defence XD

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
My opinion... NO they are not good.

There is no real cheap alternative... people used to use towels and stuff... but towels will have stuff flying off it and thats not really safe... Tennis balls would be almost useless since they are made of rubber.

Fork out for proper kevlar ones... I'd suggest the cathedrals, myself... I had them and they're a nice beginner set. Tube core are too light and don't last very long... the extra cash for the cathedrals is well worth it.

Oh! A final thing to add... MY opinion is that tennis balls are too light, I tend to use 150g weights at a minimum in my poi.. thats 150g of rice in a balloon in a sock, usually. You can put something inside your tennis ball, if you like.

Yeah man... don't burn the poor tennis ball. Good luck with your poi adventure!

^_^

hug

random joshstranger
8 posts

Posted:
thanks for the advice, i see your point now, the fur on the tennis balls would just smolder if i burnt them

how much would you say kevlar ones would cost and wer would you advise me to buy them?

JD

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Pair-of-Cathedral-twisted-oval-link-FIRE-POI

Look good to me, Josh.

I'd get single loop handles because they're much more versatile than the double loops...

I personally use a customised chain and handle, but thats a great starters rig and you can customise as you feel when you know what you're after. smile

[Old link]

Lots of people have different opinions on what is best. ^_^
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1245898366)
EDIT_REASON: Added link.

hug

ExuroThe Prodigy
82 posts

Posted:
good call.

say no to flaming tennis balls -]

You play with fire,
You're going to get burned.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Exurogood call.

say no to flaming tennis balls -]

you mean melting rubber and noxious fumes wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: JDwhat cheap things are good to use for fire poi?

nun

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Ummmm yeh i am going to go with oh whatsthe word for it umm

"NO"

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

random joshstranger
8 posts

Posted:
i think im just goin to go on ebay, i think u can get cathedral ones for about a 10squid ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: random josh (1245501295)

JD

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
I appreciate the idea of trying to get your needs met cheaply, but these are props used for a dangerous hobby. It's like the idea of health care being expensive because it is important. Some things do cost, but you need safety. Tennis balls are just rubber, they'd just melt fall apart and then flying chunks of burning melting rubber...I've seen people attach a chain to cloth wrapped in wire. It WORKS, but you can't touch those wicks for a while after each use.

I feel like...when you're going to be swinging burning fuel soaked objects around, you should probably make sure you get good quality, whether you buy them or make them.

random joshstranger
8 posts

Posted:
mwahahahahahha i live for danger lol!! yeh i finished with my tennis balls now, im just saving up for cathiedrals now

im not really affraid of getting burnt, ive had a lot worse this being burnt anyway lol laugh3

JD

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
using proper props like kevlar the likelihood of getting burnt is pretty low if you're sensible, however something like rubber would be horrible, melting rubber on your skin would probably melt and combine with it and require surgery to fix.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
that and after your poi developed into a ball-lightning, going off into the unsuspecting audience injuring an innocent bystander ...

you might live for danger now, some of them might live for revenge after - and if it's only to sue the crap out of you

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
I'll add that I'm a bigger fan of monkeyfists than cathedrals, but there are loads of discussion to be had on wick choice.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Good point, MRC, thats just what I used as a beginner and therefore can recommend for beginners.

I've dropped a link to this head discussion [Old link]

into my original recommendation.

hug