Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Brighton 2009 Workshop with Nick Woolsey and Alien John

Login/Join to Participate

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
Nick Woolsey of Play Poi and Alien Jon are coming to the U.K

For those of you who do not know Nick, he is one of the most experienced poi teachers around, and has travelled all over the world teaching and practising the art of poi. Maybe you know his Video "Scales of poi"? And Alien Jon is an amazing teacher and a great guy and he will inspire you on many levels!

On the 15th and 16th of July they will be running workshops in Brighton. Venue is to be confirmed

Wednesday 15th July :

6-8pm: "Poi Foundations: building blocks and scales of poi"

8.15-10.15pm: "Poi-Chi: teaching poi to your body 1st"

Thursday 16th July:
6-8pm: "Interlocking Partner Poi"

8.15-10.15pm: "Beyond the Basics: Intermediate and Advanced Poi"

There will be more workshops in Bristol and other cities in the Uk watch the threads for info.

Places are limited to 20 so please book soon if you would like to secure a place.

The class fees are 25£ for each class. But if you book more than one class it is £20 per class. Package price for all 4 is 75£.

you can contact: info@poipartout.com for bookings or more info.

EDITED_BY: torchlein (1245227129)
EDIT_REASON: Pricedrop

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
Explaining the workshops:
1. "Poi Foundations: Building blocks and Scales of Poi"
Combining the 1st halves of Alien Jon's "Anatomy of Circles" and "Time Sculpture" Classes with Nicks "Scales of Poi"

2. "Poi-Chi: Teaching Poi to your Body 1st"

Level: All levels welcome (complete beginners may be challenged once we actually start using poi)
Covers a system of body awareness that is the foundation for how you work with poi. Stepping, turning, 4 mode with your arms. Much of the workshop is without spinning poi. Then putting it all together and then adding poi.

3. "Foundations of Interlocking Partner Poi"

Level: experienced beginner to advanced (if you can do Nick's beginner prerequisites you will be fine)
How to interlock in different patterns with a partner as though you are 2 halves of one body.

4. "Beyond the Basics: Intermediate and Advanced Poi"
Delving into more techy and advanced moves

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
I've received word that there is a group of Londoners who want to make the trek to Brighton for our workshops.

It looks like the drive takes about 1.5 hours.

Let's use this thread to coordinate ride sharing.

Does anyone know if there is a viable way to make the trek on public transit?

+Alien Jon

Bear1970SILVER Member
Huggy Tart
233 posts

Posted:
Trains regularly leave London for Brighton (every 10-15 minutes from London Bridge) and the journey is about an hour!! I've no idea where the venue is in relation to the station though! To get there for the 6pm beginners class on the Wednesday I'd have to leave here around 4.30 to allow time to find the venue!! smile
EDITED_BY: Bear1970 (1245168039)

I am hungry, I am incorrigible, I AM MAN!!

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
Let me know who is coming from London by train and we shall try to organize a liftshare from Brighton trainstation to the venue!!

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
For those coming from London you can also share into a drive with Pawel who is coming from London to the workshops, saves you the train and you get straight to the venue. Let me know if you are interested and I pass on his email to you....