psy-cookieBRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Hi guys, does anyone have any experience in this?

I would like to be able to have parafin in my hand and then light it with one wick, pass the flame across in my hand and light the other wick.

Can anyone give me some assistance in this please?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
You need a low flashpoint fuel, I dunno what was used when I tried it, it wasnt my fuel, shellite I think...

put pressure on the unlit head with your your fingers quite firmly... Put it to the lit end, your hand should light, put it to the unlit end and then close your hand.

I'd recommend you DON'T grab it because then its ALL over your hand and will be harder/less safe to extinguish and you'll have more excess fuel on your hand afterwards.

hug

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
it works with parafin..just makes yer hands oily and is much easier with low flashpoint

also its easier to move yer wick to yer hand then to move yer hand to the wick

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:

Having oily hands doesn’t effect your grip? I might try that.
juggle

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
oh no, it does affect yer grip....but doing contact staff you dont wanna grab it anyways wink

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

FelexSILVER Member
Destroyer of worlds and ooo shiny.
268 posts

Posted:
Hehehehehe ok

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
flame passing usually with shellite, zippo fuel and the like...

in addition to what poje said: you may want to mek wick and hand meet in the middle, before you burn yourself or the flames go out... make sure your hand is not dribbling and liquid going into the sleeve of yer shirt... that stuff has the habit to expand quite quickly when getting hot...

ALWAYS obey strict fire safety procedures when doing sh1t like that!!!!!!! least you want to to try and shake it off, spraying burning liquid over your surrounding, the audience and fuel station... please.

(can't believe that I'm still sitting on my computer)... excuse if I sound like a mule...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
I don't feel like sufficient info has been provided here...

Fire transfers are pretty simple, and I think paraffin is a bad choice for it.

I like paraffin because it's a pretty gentle flame and easy to control but it's dim and isn't terribly easy to light.

You'll benefit from trying colemans/whitegas. A tiny match EASILY lights a whitegas soaked wick. This is crucial to what you want to do. Having fuel in your hand is a waste and kind of dangerous. So here's an attempt at explaining...

When you transfer fire from one wick to another via your hand or other body part, you are using the fuel on the wick itself.
Like a sponge, when a soaked wick has pressure against it, it releases a portion of its fuel. With a low flashpoint fuel (and generally most that you'd use for wicks anyway) the fuel that comes out of a lit wick will be on fire. So if you press a lit wick against your hand , lit fuel will remain in your hand. That can be used to light the other wick.

If you are using paraffin it wont be as easy to light the other wick, with white gas it will light very quickly so long as you have flame in your hand.

To put out your hand simply smother it against your thigh. I choose the thigh because it is a large mass on your body and a hand can be placed firmly against it, quickly. The other bonus is that the curve of your hip/thigh is complimentary to the curve of your palm. This means you'll smother better, YAY!

Fair warning, obviously, that you will be lighting yourself on fire. Lit fuels will be in direct contact with your skin, you NEED a spotter to practice this.

Fuel transfers can be used to trace lines on your body for performances. That can be put out by smothering the flame slowly and carefully. When putting out a longer pacth of fire with your hand start at one end, if you try to smother near the middle of the fire it will do nothing. When you start at the tip you cut off that fuel's exposure to any flame and as you slide away from there you will continue to disconnect fuel from flame. This is the same reason you shoot a fire extinguisher at the bottom edge of the fire closest to you, and not at the center of it.

I hope I am describing this vividly enough, it probably warrants a video.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
beautifully put MRC - very vivid - and the only thing I can add is that IF one chooses paraffin to transfer, most likely handle will get greased... obvious consequences wink

Non-Https Image Link

redface oops now WHERE did this come from?
No, that's not the one that I wanted!

*runs off for the beach*

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Most chemicalsfuels will leave your hand feeling a little slick, but the likes of white gas tend to evaporate faster, paraffin will linger.
EDITED_BY: MRC (1245561383)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
and it also depends on the grip... rubber or leather

(chemicals? umm )

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
fuels sorry. They ARE chemicals but yeah, that was a little broad.

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
I taught a friend of mine this trick a few weeks ago. It is very simple but it not the easiest thing to do your first try. The way I taught him was to give the unlit wick a firm grab but don't try to take all of the fuel out of it. Before trying to lit it for the first time just light your hand a few times wait a second and then put it out just so you can get the feel for it. Remember a flame doesn't burn you instantly. The real trick is a mind over matter thing. The idea of lighting your hand on fire is a bit insane but then again we play with fire on a rather common basis. When your finally ready to try to light the other wick don't try to rush over to the wick because you will put the flame out. Move over quickly but calmly. Most people try to rush as fast as they can and making them look like a moron. Always do this with a safety preferably with someone who knows how to do this and can teach you along the way.

ThelemicPotterSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
My groups found that this sort of contact fire in one of the easiest things to teach someone who'se never played with fire before. It gives them a chance to understand just what burning fuel (we use white-gas/naptha/colemans fuel) can do, and how the wick works, it also doesn't take any practice or coordination unlike fire eating or using toys. It's a really great way to show new folks that fire isn't THAT dangerous when used properly, and you're not going to immeadiately die. It also gives you a bit of room to play with understanding your heat tolerance, the more fuel, the more heat...

I use transfer contact to light my fans, and it's definately a crowd pleaser. Two of the girls in our crew use a variation of this with fuel on their tongues and a kiss to do a transfer... that REALLY get's a crowd going, looks really hot and sexy (but in reality is kinda gross, I won't try it my self, my mouth is for food, not fuel)

A few weeks ago we were practicing in public space when an ambulance came along and over the loud speaker "If you light your self on fire, don't call 911!" So I immeadiately grabbed a wet wick, hit my damp hand with a flame, and gave them a flaming wave "don't worry, we wont!" good times, good times...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
MRC, I think you did a great job detailing it.

It's done with non-lit fuels as well.

Unlit wick to palm
Lit wick to palm
Flame in palm to unlit wick.

I have to say, I don't move my hand in this instance. I move the wicks. Less oxygen to the flame means less flame to contend with.

I personally never use the oils for this. I did once in the 12 years I've been doing this and it was simply too much residue left behind and it effected my grip on everything.

I completely disagree TP that transfers don't take practice or coordination. I've seen when someone misses their skin and hits clothes because they were too nervous. Or they leave the torch on the skin too long because they think they need more time, for whatever reason. They should absolutely practice with an unlit wick for timing and placement comfort before using fire.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
clap

thanks for that Pele - so it is coleman's?

curious because here (India) you hardly get anything BUT this dodgy quite oily kerosene... Zippo lighter fuel is way too expensive (unless for commercial gigs) - so I'd need to work with kero...

higher flashpoint - lower temperature burning - it would still work, no?

or wouldone have some extra CF on the hand,
lit wick to palm,
unlit wick to palm/ palm to unlit wick... ??

One way to speed up the flash could be to
burn both wick first,
extinguish fire,
dip again,
drain excess and then
start the act - this way the unlit wick will fire up faster because warm/ hot.

JayKittyGOLD Member
Mission: Ignition
534 posts

Posted:
You could always do the main dip in kero and do a little spritz of zippo on top to do the transfer.

Don't mind me, just passing through.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
sounds good - will do

thanks smile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Or you could just use an Omega Fire hidden Palm lighter from a magic shop, safe, clean and visually impressive when your palm just lights on fire without having to light anything else
Expensive way but by far the safest
https://www.world-of-magic.co.uk/Omega_Fire_by_Dave_Powell__i15633.asp

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

tracerammoGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
The one real' bad burn I've gotten is from trying this, without a clue. I grabbed the lit wick (like someone above says NOT to do) and got far too much fuel in my hand. Took me too long to smother it and I got burned. censored deal. Gotta be careful. I agree with the use white gas, 'cause it lights so easy. You don't need a lot of fuel in your hand to get it going. It's a cool trick, but for what it's worth, almost not worth doing. If the flame goes out, you gotta try again, if it burns to long you look silly, and if people are too far away, you might as well use a lighter, 'cause they're not even going to notice what's happened. ...but it is cool. wink

The wispering of the wise never entertains the fools...

tracerammoGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
Something kinda' cool I stumbled across the other day...

Light one end of the staff.
Balance the unlit end on your finger or thumb, with the top wick like a torch.
Drop the staff strait down.
Pinch the lit wick with your thumb and first+middle finger.
Toss the lit wick strait up.
Grab the unlit wick with your now lit finger tips.
Drop the staff and catch it with your other hand.
Extinguish the finger tips of your first hand (if you need to...).

Kinda cool to start out with. The torch balance deal can go on for a bit and grab peoples attention. Then when your happy with your crowd, do the little trick above. Trips a lot of non-spinners out. Practice unlit and all that, before. Safe=happy. wink

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Its also fun to light one end and point that lit end towards the ground, then give the staff a quick tap on the ground, if done right, the top unlit wick will splatter some fuel down while the bottom flame stays around the center of the staff, fire passes yer hand and hits the top wick's fuel which send the top wisk ablaze.

very cool looking

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

tracerammoGOLD Member
29 posts

Posted:
I tried this thing the other day, but I was using the lamp oil... do you need to use white gas or something with a better flashpoint?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
ya its possible with other fuels but way harder to get the transfers. white gas has more vapors er something

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DallasPrometheusstranger
1 post

Posted:
Hello everyone I'm new to this forum...but i thought I'd chime in on this as i have a fair amount of experience with hand transfers as i use them in my act (I'm a fire eater).
i hope this is all clear.

First. naphtha or white gas (or anything else really smile ) is gonna hurt. you're going to have to get used to the pain involved in performing a long hand transfer. I'd say to make it dramatic you would need 2 to 3 seconds of full flame. this is pushing the limit of not burning yourself (without some sort of protection). there are however alternatives.

first Houdini wrote a wonderful book on fire eating and fire resistance. check out chapter six which will give you some good ideas on how to increase your abilities to resit the "burn".
https://www.fullbooks.com/The-Miracle-Mongers-An-Expose-1.html

also you might consider doing this magic trick which i used to use as a hand transfer when i started my act.

warprincestranger
2 posts

Posted:
a little crazy idea stuck in my head..is it possible to make a body burning show? what chemical to rub so that the fire won`t burn our skin?