johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
This is going to be an interesting one to watch. It's on SPike TV on Tuesday, 10pm, 9pm central, a show called Deadliest Warrior, they are featuring the Shaolin Monks vs. Maori Warriors. Who would win in a simulated fight with their arsenal of weapons.

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
ya its an alright show....wouldnt exactly call it scientific lol

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

L0s3r_r@v3rSILVER Member
enthusiast
274 posts

Posted:
Hmm should be a good watch, but yeah not exactly scientific. They more or less do it at random with "experts" in the art. It's also very hyped up with the trash talking and what not.

You know what I'm thinking about right now? That's right, Tacos!

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
yah exactly... like that episode with the ninja vs the spartan, samurai vs viking, and especially that apache vs gladiator! i never thought an apache would win a fight against the gladiator. but they did! hehehe! this episode must be awesome, maori has the poi, shaolin has the rope dart! exciting!

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:

... if they're going to use traditional Maori poi they ain't in with much of a chance.. They're designed to hit yerself with as a form of percussion, not as weapons.. tongue2 Flexibility aid and dance prop, not weapon..

I'd suspect they'd be using something more like.. a taiha, a big pointy stick, or a mere, a club-type thing.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
the monks won... their only effective weapon was the twin hooks but got most of the kills.. maori warriors used their Mere and kaiaha and the shark tooth club which has the edge but, only thing was it was all made of wood... compared to monks twin hooks, emei daggers, staff, and chain whip, all made of steel... tsk tsk tsk but i still gave the maori the edge though...

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
This show is ridiculous - it's like Dungeons and Dragons with smack-talk. Their methods of measuring the damage a weapon could do are so cut-and-dried that they tend to overlook a lot of basic but essential dynamic factors. They measure, for instance, how deep a sword cuts into a person, or how much force it takes to destroy a shield. And then I suppose they assign values to each weapon chosen by the warriors and make a simulated fight based on that alone, completely ignoring a huge amount of other crucial elements like mobility and visibility in armor, use of multiple weapons together, and evasive maneuvers.

And a lot of the "facts" presented are really just a bunch of myths that keep getting handed around. Which of course further skews the results! Honestly, swords are meant to cut people, clubs are meant to crush people, and so on - I think it's hilarious when they watch a sword go through the gel torso and then get all worked up about it! Of course, that's the best part, watching all the mayhem! They definitely do the most visually badass "tests" of any show I've seen, even if they're not quite sure what it is they're measuring!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i liked when they got chuck liddell to test some gladiator stuff, the spiked fist glove and the roman scissor or something...lol WHOA those spikes put a bunch of holes in the meat!!

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Tj ONeIrish Lion
6 posts

Posted:
It's definitely all about the weapons and seeing them used, Not about who would truly win any of the fights. There's No way they could take in account the level of skill of any given individual, learned or natural, majority of people, when they go into survival mode, kill or be killed, they aren't even aware of what they're capable of.

Never heard of poi til I bought my first set of throwing knives. Searched for any help learning my new knife hobby n this site came up. Now I wanna learn poi, so looks like I went from having no hobbies to learning 2 of them at once.