• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 123
Mascot
Mascot

enthusiast

Total posts: 301
Posted:The response to global warming has been pathetic. I think its mainly because people tend to learn best from anecdotal evidence and experience. A problem that we have never before experienced, understandable only through facts and figures poses a massive communication problem. People only really respond when they get emotional about an issue, how do you engage with people on an emotional level about an issue the effects of which are currently barely discernable?

My frustration boiled over and I did something quite out of character. I started a website, www.bantheoiltrade.com, to agitate for oil to be banned. All this talk of emission reduction makes people think they can switch their lightbulbs over and breathe a sigh of relief. It's not like that. We need to change the foundation of our economy, we need to stop burning oil one day and the sooner the better. We need to ban the oil trade.

I rented a billboard (12 Westminster Bridge Road, London till May 18th) and put "Global Warming is Intergenerational Genocide" on it in big black letters. It cost me 575.

I feel a bit ambivalent about all this. I'm acutely embarassed to be so far out of the mainstream but I read the scientific evidence extensively and it's very alarming.

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

Delete Topic

zyonchaos
journeyman
Total posts: 77
Posted:This is doing my head in now, we cant build more Coal power stations as they are dirty and have all that nasty Co2 stuff,
WE cant build nuclear reactors because they are dirty and have all that radiation stuff and could be used to make bombs and stuff.
What do you propose we do,
Wind farms do not produce enough power, to satisfy the requirements.
Solar reactors, good idea, but in some countries really not feasible.
Wouldnt it be a better idea for the governments of this lovely little planet of ours to say to the Scientists of this world, we will give you this big bucket of money and you create something that is clean, is renewable and can satisfy our requirements, that can be suplied cheaply.
But they wont do that will they?
Ask yourself why?
The answer comes down to one thing doesnt it?

OIL it is profitable, yes it wont last forever, but does that really matter to someone who isnt going to be alive to see it run out, if they can profit from it now.
So no dont ban the oil trade, ban the profiteering of the oil trade (if you can). Research is the best way out of the hole we have collectively dug ourselves into.

I dont believe that we have created global warming, the earth warms and cools in cycles, I do however believe we have exacerbated this particular warming cycle.

From Within Chaos Comes Order

Delete

Stone
Stream Entrant
Total posts: 2830
Posted:Mynci, as you say the number of organisms isn't increasing. As to population control, its also about distribution of resources. At the moment, it seems like 20 percent of the population consumes 80 percent of the resources and creates 80 percent of the green house gas emissions So, perhaps we should be trying to ban greed.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete

Mynci
Mynci

Macaque of all trades
Total posts: 8737
Posted:Oh I agree, however I honestly do not think there is enough time for developing countries to catch up technologically before either population or lack of oil cause serious problems.
Fusion power would be fantastic if it could be stablised and maintained but it wouldn't be enough. We have the technology now for hydrogen fuel cars I believe Honda have 1 in full working order in Los angeles where there are the only hydrogen pumps.

The only problem I see is that the "Greedy" countries with high CO2 output are the only nations I see as being developed enough to see the end to oil. there will be LOTS more oil burned in research of cleaner fuels.

what would you choose? to ban the Greed and cut off the chance of clean energy OR to cut off the developing world's supply so there is enough oil for developing nations to develop clean energy?

I know in reality it doesn't work like that. but the world isn't fair and it isn't balanced. That is why 20% create the 80% of emissions. Also bare in mind that most manufacturing is done in the poorer countries and the goods are then shipped to the "greedy". the carbon footprint of shipping goods into a country is immense. the UK cannot survive now without importing everything, food, clothing, electronics, car parts absolutely everything is imported except a little meat and a few food products due to quotas. We only really export scrap metal and waste paper for reuse / recycling. that carbon footprint (approx 1000 gallons of fuel oil per hour for a container ship and there are 1000's on the sea) is given to the importing country NOT the exporter even though it is the exporter getting paid for the goods and providing the service.

It's very hard to strike a balance. the greedy are the skillful and the ones who could save us, the emissions the price of success? maybe.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

Stone
Stream Entrant
Posted:
Mynci, it sees to me that you still see climate change as something that will happen some time in the future. The one thing to get out of this discusssion is that it climate change is happing now. The solution starts with each and every one of us doing something now!

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete

Stone
Stream Entrant
Posted:Hey Mynci, got a book for you. Its called Our Iceberg is Melting. Its a fable about a penguin colony, and it deals with change and leadership. Its worth a look sometime.

cheers smile

Delete

Page: 123