Forums > Help! > Moves to show infants school?

Login/Join to Participate

Tattooed Spinnerstranger
11 posts

Posted:
My 6 year old daughter took her sock poi into school with her this morning and really impressed everyone with her butterfly! Her teacher asked if i would take my LED poi in on Monday to show them.

The thing is I want to show them stuff to get them interested, but I dont want them to try anything that is going to cause injury (like wraps and stuff)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Do eet with flags

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Tattooed Spinnerstranger
11 posts

Posted:
They want the Glow poi or I would, well i'd try at least, i've never used flags.

MyaBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
I actually did poi in a pageant years ago (I won talent ... nothing else ... figures right?) and we had "little sisters" who were to come out with us during part of the walk around. The little girls always came to practice and watched our talent rehersals. I actually taught the 7 year old that I worked with how to spin with glow poi. I chose to pick up a few light sticks instead of using my LED poi. They were light enough for her to play with easily and if she had a problem they were not too painful. I taught her very very slowly using one poi at a time and then allowing her to spin slowly with both. She ended up loving it so much that he mom got her a set and supplied her with glow sticks till she was well enough off to use a heavier poi head. I thought it may be helpful. smile
EDITED_BY: Mya (1244655806)

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
I spin to entertain my students in art class during low-key moments. Butterfly always amazes kids. If you can give them a build up to variants, they seem to enjoy that. Like a one-handed butterfly, or under the leg opposites, over the head butterfly, and then show them how you can open your arms up to other moves then lead right back to their old favorite: butterfly.

Simple crowd pleasers like buzzsaw can be done in positions all around your body and create a great image with glow toys that can be appreciated by the youngest audience.

With little kids, keep talking and entertain them. They can get antsy pretty quickly if you are just trying to do a full on silent performance (even if its set to music, its "silent"). Short demonstrations punctuated with light talk and an occasional explanation work well.

If you feel up to it, have them suggest how to spin it: over the head, behind your back, between your legs, around your neck, and my favorites: off your ear and around your nose. smile

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hahaha, my nieces love butterfly and then split time butterfly because I called them the bird and then the out of control bird, punctuated by an "AAAAARGH!" That one was getting requested for weeks. smile

hug

Tattooed Spinnerstranger
11 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the replies. There is some really good information there.

I ended up just showing them basic things (mainly because i can't do anything complicated!) but they loved it. I was talking to them the whole time, a little of the history, and a little about the different kinds of poi. Then i basically showed them individual little things, 3btw, butterfly and then showed them how the moves could be linked with stalls and stuff.

It went really well, towards the end I got my daughter to join in just to show that little ones can pick them up quite easily too.

The kids seemed to love it, and there is talk about them making some sock poi.

The only problem was my gorgeous 7 year old daughter showing me up by doing a one handed butterfly! I'm gonna have to get her to teach me!

MyaBRONZE Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
That is impressive! A one handed butterfly at 7, I still haven't quite got it down. ha! I am glad it went well. smile

kdldamnSILVER Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
Haha that's awesome. I hope I have kids who spin poi.

So, what's up?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
My Ladies little boy loves spinning a devil stick like a staff and he can gete a diabolo working with string for a 6ft guy lol, he stands on the sofa.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.