• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > What are you working on now?

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...1819202122...28
VampyricAcid
VampyricAcid

veteran
Total posts: 1286
Posted:Kinda scared about starting this thread cos i have a bad history of starting thread that already exist BUT i have done an extensive search and im pretty sure that this thread is completely new!!

i was just out in the garden having a bit of a spin, and i thought "hmmm i wonder what other people are trying to learn at the moment" and decided it would be agreat insight into the future of poi and where people were heading, and serve as inspiration to people who are a bit stuck. There is the obvious "oooh ive just learnt this" thread stuck at the top, but i thought it'd be good to hear what problems people are having with the moves while they are learning them, and how the over come them so other people can look and discover ways they might not have thought of.

so start your replies with "This Week I Am Mostly Learning....."

This Week I Am Mostly Learning.....3bt btb weaves, reverse5bt weave, and trying to work out 6bt TTN aswell as forward7bt weave. Problems?? loads, but these moves ( wink):
3btbtb weave, i keep hitting myself in the head, but im slowly getting the timing down,
Reverse 5bt, my wrists dont seem to like it, still working on timing, again keep hitting myself in the head ubbrollsmile
6btTTN again, the wrists are complaining, and the timing keeps going off
Forward7bt, i got a few beats the otehr night but i lost it now frown confused

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Delete Topic

triptrician
UFO Spotting
Total posts: 350
Posted:stalls up and down(got the down ones nice and clean just getting up clean now) flowers and flower turns and btb ttn

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
Total posts: 2280
Posted:Footwork, footwork, footwork, and body movements.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Delete

G4dget
G4dget

Eternal Student of all things Skill
Total posts: 110
Posted:Originally Posted By: Poppy-roseFinally conquered the forward 3 beat weave, but cant do the reverse 3 beat weave! The right always seem to swing out on the cross over instead of up, its fine when im doing the right on its own but as soon as I get the left in, thats it!

You might try turning 180 degrees when your forward weave is passing down toward your legs on either side and just turn to the side of your body the poi are going to. This will turn you into the reverse weave once you make the complete turn. I found this can at least get you started on the motion if you are having trouble getting it started from a stand still.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget

Delete

G4dget
G4dget

Eternal Student of all things Skill
Total posts: 110
Posted:I'm actually going back to some basics from the scales of poi dvd. Just getting healed up from a shoulder injury and really trying to refine my spinning now that I'm getting correct posture and body mechanics.

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!

G4dget

Delete

eca
Total posts: 197
Posted:Cleaning up flowers, flower turns, transitions, reels (I can do shoulder reels fine, hip reels giving me issues), superuberduper loops (whatever the censored their called). There's more but that's all I can think of right now.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.
Total posts: 2418
Posted:"Superduperuberloops" as described by one person. "Orbitals" to everyone else.

hug

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

owner of the group property
Total posts: 1277
Posted:Making the following my primary focus for the next months:

- Isolations and cat-eyes with both hands and different timing/direction combos, and unit circle hybrids. I can get isolations and cat-eyes solidly one hand at a time, but they fall apart with both hands going.

- btb for real this time.

- Utl in all the forms I can find

- getting my movements around G's Octahedron solid.

There's still plenty to explore with throws, but I can let that take a back seat for a while. It's also tempting to learn more wraps after meeting a badass glowstringer last night, but I need to work more with the ones I already know.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:-finishing up work with unit circle hybrids

-need too look of G's octahedron

-outwards butterfly silly walk

Delete

Igneas Tempestas
Just a few more minutes... zzzzz

Total posts: 16
Posted:Stalls, Stalls, Stalls...

G is the inspiration for these. My stalls are messy and need a lot of work, so thats the main focus at the moment. Footwork needs improving as well so theres better flow and less stumbles in pirouettes but its getting there smile

Got a week camping starting tomorrow with nothing to do during the day and night but spin, and we're 2 minutes from a huge beach so the firepoi will be coming with grin

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

Posted:SoD: "G's Octahedron" is my dorky name for the arrangement of stall points G uses most often. See the recent "3D spinning" thread under Videos.

Delete

triptrician
UFO Spotting
Total posts: 350
Posted:learnt stalls spiral wraps and airwraps the other day so in the proccess of cleaning them up and their variations

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Ugh I think I'm finally gonna work on reverse antispin flower. that is poi in reverse, arms forward. My shoulders strain to do it and my muscles get sore, also I have troubles extending my arms out doing it.

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

Posted:It is the bane of many flower-learning persons.

Me, I need to learn inward butterfly silly walks and simultaneous silly walks. Also working on a couple of the transitions from Jon's second nano-tech blog. Trying to work UTL 1.5s into flow better.

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:PERSONS? GODDAMNIT IT'S PEOPLE! That is by far my biggest pet peeve in the world mad

Also, Maybe I should start looking at the tech blogs, they would probably help me and give me more fun things to practice smile

I am making much progress at the outwards butterfly silly walk. I still can't continuously walk backwards with it and that bothers me a lot. I should also look into getting better at reverse dodging daggers and walking with it (dagger walk?) Ok fine it shall be dagger walk laugh3

I also need to work on getting less bug bites while practicing because I seem to be a very yummylicious snack, especially my calves, that's the prime cut right there.

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

Posted:As long as we're still using the words "bird" and "butterfly", I'm just fine using something as easily understood as "persons". You can have your philosophy of normative grammar and I'll have mine tongue2

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.
Posted:I think technically "persons" is to be used when the number of persons is able to be counted. So 20 is alright, but 20,000,000 is not. You could have 20 persons, but it would be 20,000,000 people.

Today, however they are used almost interchangably and with this I have no issue. Variation is nice. It would be a shame if we all spoke the same way.

I'm not really working on a whole lot, I've been lazy with my poi, a few strange looking plane change variations, the one I'm liking the most is a split time butterfly prospin flower with two petals at 3 o clock and 9 o clock, but done as a cycloid and folding it 90 degrees in the middle so rather than the poi coming across the top, it comes through the horizontal plane.

One poi is always in wall plane, one poi is always in horizontal, but they swap. Feels pretty weird.

hug

Delete

Paddington Bear

Total posts: 118
Posted:what the duck is dodging daggers? i cant find it anywhere.

i want to learn the move at 1:20 but i have no clue what it is

working at general flow and antispin flowers

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.
Posted:Its a point isolation behind the back plus a bit of a turn... pretty simple, really. Very pretty looking in execution, though.

hug

Delete

Paddington Bear

Posted:guess im going to gave to bum youtube till i learn it. what about dodging daggers? anyone point me in the right direction?

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

Delete

Mother_Natures_Son
Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.
Posted:I'd guess its an under the leg movement. Maybe search youtube for "Dodging daggers" see what you come up with... someone might have done a tutorial or a demonstration or something.

hug

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:Look at derek's videos, that's where i found it.

I myself am now working on throws grin They are so fun! I love going from 1 handed butterfly, then throwing one like 30ft in the air and catching it bounce2 It's so awesome!

Delete

eca
Total posts: 197
Posted:inspin flower turns, butterfly flowers, superduperuber loops, transitions and general movement.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

Posted:Originally Posted By: Paddington Bearguess im going to gave to bum youtube till i learn it. what about dodging daggers? anyone point me in the right direction?

The "standard" form of dodging daggers is split-same, utl through the same gap, out through the same gap (unlike silly walks, where the poi take turns going utl). Usually done entering from behind (stop snickering).

Delete

Paddington Bear

Posted:found an awesome tutorial on youtube for dodging daggers, it was what i thought it was all along

Delete

Sister Eleven
Sister Eleven

Posted:In addition to the other items on my core list, I need to clean up btb stalls. Some of the plane breaks I want to use need them to be much crisper than they are...

Delete

EpitomeOfNovice
EpitomeOfNovice

Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
Total posts: 787
Posted:Extra work with stalls involving my left hand and upward stalls with both hands.

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

Delete

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:Need to work on stalls, especially behind the back.

Also, more videos.

On the plus side, I flashed 5 balls earlier.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

Teamo
Teamo

Almost again
Total posts: 124
Posted:I'm in the process of trying to drill Charlie's 8-step-CAP-pattern to muscle memory. So far I've only got reverse butterfly with the left poi doing continuous antispin down to the point where I don't have to think about it anymore.

But once I have all the variations down...Helllooo sweet timing changes! grin

Delete

aston
aston

Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
Total posts: 4061
Posted:Ouch. I have baulked at trying to get those completely solid....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Delete

SpinnerofDetroit
SpinnerofDetroit

Posted:CAPs with an arm movement I came up with and for a day I could do it, and now I can't. It looked awesome!

Delete

Page: 1...1819202122...28