Forums > Social Chat > OLD HOP HEADS V.S NEW HOP HEADS

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
this is where the old heads come to laugh about the move/moves they had trouble with as a newbie. just thought the subject was perfect remember the FIRE VS glowsticks threads. LMAO... anyway, I remember bashing the shyt out of my shins and my head with a BTB weave. I remember only being able to do the butterfly for a few beats, I remember thinking WHAT DO YOU MEAN IM ONLY DOING A 4 BEAT WINDMILL, WHY IS IT ONLY 4 BEATS WHEN IM DOING THE EXSACT SAME THING I DO WHEN I DO A 5 BEAT WEAVE. lol ahhh the memories. Im constantly refering people to this site, perfect for poi. well anyway its been nice remembering the past...anyone else got anyhting to add?

-Myst

All you new heads got it easy, i remember when a BTB 5 beat was unheard of, now that most of us can do it, all the old heads learn it alot quicker without the mind barrior.

now advice for a newbie section:

dont try to learn all the technical moves before you learn the basics, cause lets face it, you aint getting any respect if all you can do is a 5 beat weave and you cant even imagine doing a simple butterfly. thats all i gotta say

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
beaut
GlOwsTiX
no
fire
no
glowsticks
no
fyRe
ravers rulE
no
Fire is cooler-est
etc etc
ahh those were the days. eh

and then later we had marmite/ nutella/ bi-spreadable? (hell was that only a year ago?)

Its been a great week for me on hop re-reading the old message board. thanks to everyone for posting the memories

G

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah all the old Hop heads kinda get knocked about.
then they get beaten around the place.
then they fray and go all black!
but it's okay cus you can always get new HoP heads.
they're creamy-coloured and can do butterflies real fast.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hummm,

was thinking the other day about learing the 5 beat forward and having to use an egg-box-cup cos i was hitting the nads every time.

am I an old hop head? I dont feel mlike it, but obviously no newbie, guess its cos I aint got a funny status thing under the name.

L*r

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Any of the old skoolers remember Myst? What the hell happened to that guy?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I'd say anyone with a member number less than 1000 is old school, i mean - skool...

I remember when BTB weaves were first discussed - and the arguements about whether or not they were possible

Heady days

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
What about those of us with member numbers less that 100? Does that make us Jurassic??

BTB...I remember 5 beat discussions on whether it could be done, in front. I also remember when we had the debates on defining what actually constitutes a beat (remember that?).
Or how about when all these cool things were not available online for sale and there were miles of discussions on how to make some of these tools?
Ahhh...the good ole days of sock practice poi! lol

My greatest struggle...one handed. Trying to teach that to myself felt like my trying to lay an egg out my, consistently hit by the *sock poi*, nose!!!

My advice to newbies...just keep trying...it will come!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

gάrbǿ²addict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
Christ pele , if people under 100 are jurrasic what the hell does that

make you, mother nature herself . Man how many members are there now.

It does make one feel slightly old doesn't it . Anyway, I can remember the

what constitutes a beat talk. I can remember discussing how to make several

things that you couldn't buy. I also remember dangerboy getting badly

burnt after one such talk on how to make fire whips, oopps. Speaking of

old school, who can remember when Simos was around, he used to be like

pele, he used to answer everything . As for moves, who hasn't had probs with

BTB weave , I remember when people first started talking about it i didn't

believe it was possible . for me it was this and thread the bloody needle.

I have know idea why but that took me ages.

its nice to take a trip down memory lane .

:garbo:

be excellent to each other: safe:

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Mother Nature herself....lol...that made me laugh! I should be so lucky to be so talented!

I miss Simos sooo much! He and I stayed in touch for a long while after he got a real life and forgot HoP ..and then he just faded into the grown up world. Last I spoke with him he hadn't spun in ages and ages. I remember when he came on actually, he was rather like Knagi, all enthusiastic and scary!

I remember that too garbo (and you, how they hell have you been love?), about Dangerboy. THe site that he got the directions from took them down immediately following that accident???

What about Flavio and her ghetto fans made of chicken wire??? That had me giggling for ages.
And Diana and the safety speeches. I learned from her!

*sigh*... That felt good.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I was lurking during the sub-1000 days but didn't sign up 'till I had time to participate and felt I had something useful to contribute...do I count?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Once a newbie, always a nebwbie *grin*

I remeber when i was shocked to see we were hitting 3000 members... it's nearing five now isn't it?

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
it just aint fair to pickon teh newbies, i hate being one, but you were all ones once too, even pele!

you were newbies, along side the ppl who created the tricks and pushed the poi envelope, to create the moves.

its even harder to not be a newbie, when there is no poi in your area, or you find it hard to learn stuu....i got the butterfly, thread the neadle, weave, and what i think is the corscrew, but i cant figure out the alt butterfly, or the mex wave from the txt so i cando them!it sucks

so dont pick on newbies, as we take the tourch and pass on poi to others

Step (el-nombrie)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I would say he didn't mean it that way, but it's myst... so instead i say, don't take him seriously, he has an attitude, although sweet enough irl...

no one else meant it badly, that much i'm sure, *grin* i found them all welcoming, wish i had the time to be welcoming myself, i was once, up until school started last yeear...

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

mechBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,207 posts

Posted:
i know hes not being mean, i am a founder of a gaming clan, so i know the problems newbies have from old hands (not to say any of you are old, just amazin at poi)

anyways this is starting to wonder, sooooo newbies, will always have stick for being new,and they wil always have tp ut up with it!

i only worry that i a dong the tricks wrong, is teh corcsrew supposed to go from a circle above your head, to a circle by your sides?

Step (el-nombrie)

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
hey all although i guess technicially i am an oldie im feelin nubieish ( if that's the word) good to remember the old threads but it is wierd coming back as the bords members change so i dont really know any of the newish ones too well... ho well another 6 months straight and im sure will be back to my old self oh and the numbers of posts too !!! i remember posting really hard for a while to get to something like 75 posts to get an advanced status i got to 2 before and he changed the syatem!!! how cruel!
Anywho nice post thanks
Enjoy - A

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

pozeeBRONZE Member
old hand
887 posts

Posted:
that damn uhhh windmill i think it is, GRRRR!! i hit my face so many times with that one.

it sure has been awhile since i have been here, it just seems a bit overwhelming at times with so many people it is hard to keep track of who you are talking to. it was fun back then, and it is fun now. i just wish i still sorked at night time with nothing to do but sit on the HOP and chat with my friends...

anyone got a light?

MiSsFrOgmember
187 posts

Posted:
(Pokes her head in)
myst...long time no see how ya been?
im still waiting for you to show me up

here i got something for ya
Non-Https Image Link

or how about my game face

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link
hehehe

Its not easy being green....

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
Myst sweetie your son just graduated from university remember that blue glowstick with a lethal addiction for fire ? he has your eyes (and your hot temper )... will bring him along if I make it to SD this summer.

Please any newbie reading this do not feel excluded or laughed at ... I think it is just lovely for people who have been around for a lil while to act like old people sitting on a bench and remembering...

nostalgic I guess and tender memories too
I honestly miss some old HoPers quite badly ... where is Superman for example ? ... and dooo many others

such is life and HoP still rocks my world and Charles just had a baby and

WAHOOOOOHEY ::raises glass of champagne:; here is to every HoPer

shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i saw superman for like one day a few weeks ago. that punk! he's ditched us again! but then, here's myst only a few days after we talked about him to "myste", speak of the devil...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:

Mystaddict
439 posts

Posted:
LMAO...any newbie reading this...please dont take it to heart, but DO heed our advice. Iv changed A LOT since i first started twirling, yet i do twirl with a different style then almost ALL fire twirlers. honestly my hostility comes from me being a glowstringer, im extreamly competitive and it shows through in my post's. I also twirl fire like a glowstringer wraps and all, but if you wanna battle poi style, im down too. msfroggy, last i remember i DID show you up, with pozee as my witness too. now enough of the attitude, I MISS HOP, but i have to agree with pozee, so many people are on it now that its hellatious to try to keep up. WOW the good old days, guess we had something great and we couldnt keep such a wonderful thing secret for the rest of our lives, DAMN why couldnt we be selfish...=*(
ill be lurking....DUH DUH DUH!!!

Its about talent, not make up or costumes.

AjtagThe occasional one...
445 posts

Posted:
C'mon thistle this one's for you too

There are 10 types of people, those who understand binary and those who dont.
Enjoy - A

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Guess I have to rank as a newbie then

------------------

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Hey Myst,
Nice thread starter, looking back on the good old days as it were. The pain and suffering, and the thoughts of right now I must know everything there is to know about this stuff. I dont class myself as "old skool" at all, despite being at it for years now, but I recently enough joining hop. I guess I'm middle of the road skool. It must be a good laugh for all you guys talking about the progression of the website.
BUT..... the big but.
How about changing the name of the thread to something alittle less competitive. At a glance it does look like it's gonna turn into yet another one of those facing eachother off threads There are far too many of them. Thats one change in the website thats not so fun. When I first joined it was only fun lovin hop. None of this my stick is bigger than yours crap, or people bitchin bout eachother but there is more and more of those threads these days. That has gotta change back!!!!! No matter how good you get there is always someone better than you, and if there is personal stuff, take it outside

Anyway as far as nad hitting goes, I mean thats one thing that'll never change about poi. The moment you try something new...... wham I mean it does still creep up on you when your not looking and swiftly take you out
I guess that why for the moari women it was dancing and for the men it was war-training Maybe they should sale jock straps on the site too

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Ahh those were the days my friends....

And myst, great to hear from you!!

Ade, of the paleolithic

nomadBRONZE Member
retired
356 posts

Posted:
Can someone explain me how to make sparkly poi?

Nomad

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Mechhead:
(not to say any of you are old, just amazin at poi)
Now you take that back!!! I've been for fair a while and i'm rubbish at poi.

Meh

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
ah, the good old days....

I remember we used to get into discutions about the crazy things you can do while spinning. Elephants and g-strings (thongs) and all kinfds of crazy stuff.

I remember when I couldn't do a butterfly without hitting myself in the balls. So, I went out and bought a cup...

But mostly, I remember that we've been together on this for a WHILE now, and it can only get better.

Maybe on day we will be sitting back talking about "remember when we though weave isolatiuons were imposible" or "remember when we didn't know you if you could to a btb hyperloop fountain" ....can you? don't know yet.

This is a great community though.

Glad to see you back, Eric, been a while. Why don't we find that thong/elephant/horses-bareback-blindfolded-spinning fire-while-standing-on-the-horse's-back thread.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Myst:
dont try to learn all the technical moves before you learn the basics, cause lets face it, you aint getting any respect if all you can do is a 5 beat weave and you cant even imagine doing a simple butterfly. thats all i gotta say
I can do a butterfly

Can't do no stinkin' 5 beat though.......

Stoopid poi.

Meh

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
hello gorgeous ones...*

hmmmmm..... is wonderful to see think back over how much poi play has collectively evolved through this site over the past while...

with so much input from so many wonderful people over time ... and it's just so precious to have the infectious enthusiasm of the newer members of HOP who just keep pushing these boundaries further and further...

I know I never would have bothered to explore behind the back technique by myself, little alone weave isolations (which I absolutely adore now!) or even with the friends I spin with in the non-cyber world... after 8 years spinning (ouch!) your motivation can kind of slow up a bit, (well mine does) so it's wonderful to pop in now & again and get a rush of enthusiasm... yay!

Fire Mamamember
53 posts

Posted:
O.k.....I'm a newbie..but I've been stoked to glance at this thread and be all nostalgic with you'all!(got a bit choked up ...maybe it's just the full moon...) Cheers 4 the inspiration Can't even imagine the days where you all discussed the mere possibility of btb weave! Love the connections we all make through this site. peace.

Thru meditation I program my heart to beat break beats and hum bass lines on exhilation....

Page: ...