Forums > Help! > Improve Flexibility

Login/Join to Participate

deweejBRONZE Member
amatuer professional
8 posts

Posted:
Simply put, some of us who spin have a bulkier build to begin with (pardon the alliteration), and so certain patterns have given us trouble. I suppose when I say "we" I mean "me," but there have got to be others who have run across this problem. I just learned reverse behind the back after about a year of frustration, for example.

I would like to know if anyone knows any specific flexibility exercises, apart from spinning poi, of course. What kinds of stretches are the most beneficial, etc.

Any thoughts?

"Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience." -George Washington

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
yoga....

(another unhelpful post from Poje)

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

deweejBRONZE Member
amatuer professional
8 posts

Posted:
I've thought of that, but I live in pretty much the middle of nowhere and can't afford the classes/travel at the moment.

"Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire called conscience." -George Washington

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
In short, there is no magically more beneficial stretch. To improve flexibility one must warm-up stretch and cool down all their muscles (or the specific ones targeted). Pilates is really good at maximizing muscle use per posture. Yoga postures often involve flexing a muscle while stretching a contrary one and so doing the right moves can be important to balance them.

Books are helpful, but will mostly teach you theory or philosophy. Videos are pretty good but will never substitute for a teacher. If it's your only option though, try some videos.

deweejBRONZE Member
amatuer professional
8 posts

Posted:
Thanks all. Good advice all around, and much appreciated. smile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Best way to improve flexibility is as MRC says.
You should warm up, stretch, exercise, warm down then stretch again, the second set of stretches improve flexibility far more than warm up stretches or even yoga alone. the exercise is vital as it puts the muscles into overload so the warm down stretches also become a minor overload so the body is more likely to aclimatise itself to the second stretches to be better ready for the next bout of exercise. warm down stretches should be held for a time for maximum increase.
(This is what I had to do to improve my spine flexibility when I was training with GB athletics squad) hug

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Further to a style of stretching is its consistency. Doing a stretching blitz for several hours in one day and doing nothing about it for a month is far less productive than a consistent 5-10 mins per day. Of course, if you can spend more than 5-10 mins a day stretching do so smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Ahh yes progression.

Factors = Overload, progression and finally reversability (Maintain stretches to prevent reduction in flexability)
Reversability works slower than progression hence the ability to improve.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.