• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > EU voting for internet blackouts

Login/Join to Participate

R0cketSh1p

yat daam - yee lek - saam gungfu

Total posts: 30
Posted:EU parliment is voting in May to restrict user access on the internet.. limiting the websites you can visit and offering limited 'TV like' packages through ISPs..

if it passes it'll be european law and then thats very very difficult to reverse, but as with the US its pretty unlikely any of these politicions know what is really involved in the bill, as its packed as a "Telecoms Package" leading them to think its mostly an industry thing

http://blackouteurope.eu/
br>
please read, there are also drafts of letters your can send to your local MEPs and a page that helps you find and write to your local MEP

/discuss

Delete Topic

Fine_Rabid_Dog

Internet Hate Machine

Total posts: 10530
Posted:That is some bullshiiiiiiiiiit! *rage*.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

Seye
SILVER Member since Mar 2005

Seye

Geek

Total posts: 1261
Posted:I cant find any evidence to say that this is true. There are no links on the above website at all. There's also nothing about it on any reputable site that I can find.

Its also reached its bandwidth limit and been blocked by its service provider.

All seems fairly dubious to me.

It all seems a bit too similar to the "all music venue's are going to be forced to fit volume limiters" story of a few months ago.

I may be wrong though. If anyone can find any evidence I'd be very interested to know.

Delete

Mr Majestik
SILVER Member since Mar 2004

Mr Majestik

coming to a country near you

Total posts: 4693
Posted:yeah, the only references i can find are other forums that link to the same website.

perhaps its all in a different language?

and may i mention blackouteurope.eu doesnt look like the best quality website i would expect from people that knew what they were talking about....

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Delete

Mr Majestik

Mr Majestik

Posted:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=73537262931
br>
is their facebook group that has quite a few links in different languages... i cant be bothered to look at them but feel free...

Delete

R0cketSh1p

Posted:well before I start I'd like to say I'm fairly drunk so I'll try to keep to the PG rating of the forum (and appologise for my aweful spelling, which I will try to correct), but also I think its dissapointing that not many people seem to take this seriously. You seem to think that your rights are protected by some higher power, and if thats your attitude your looking towards a very bleak future..

Just to start I'd like you to consinder the Holywood copyright laws that have convinced the Swedish Government that the laws of Sweden dont apply to Swedish people i.e. the recent arrest of The Pirate Bay owners. And equally dissapointed that none of you seem, though apparently intelligent to know how to research properly.

here is one link: http://www.iptegrity.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=290&Itemid=9
br>
Do any of you even understand the importance of Net Neutrality?

*edited*

I do hope I'm wrong here, but with recent trends.. like the banning of the right to own arms in the US (a right of the Constitution, no matter what your personal beliefs are), things are taking a turn for the worse. Whether or not your choose to believe this. And the currupt nature of those that hold power, this isnt a shock to me. Copyright Laws should do not apply when confronted with the freedom to share information, look at history and the importance of controlling Intellectual Property, even down to the origins of the printing press. Those that hold the power to distrubute information, control the intelligence of a nation.

And if any of you think that our government is any different, then you will be in for a shock.. Just read the US Patriot act and think about the Oximoronic statments such as Homeland Security or Military Intelligence.

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absoultly.

And the Revolution gets its name coz it keeps coming back around, and it will. Very soon.

Make of these links what you will, but I'd like to keep this thread open either way for a form of debate

EDITED_BY: R0cketSh1p (1240281374)

Delete

Mr Majestik

Mr Majestik

Posted:Originally Posted By: R0cketSh1p You seem to think that your rights are protected by some higher power, and if thats your attitude your looking towards a very bleak future..

no they tried to pull mass internet filtering here last year and we rejected it. dont mistake skepticism for apathy. a single claim linked to not the best website with no further references isnt the strongest starting point for an arguement. especially when i have no idea how the EU even works because i live on the other side of the world...

Originally Posted By: R0cketSh1pJust to start I'd like you to consinder the Holywood copyright laws that have convinced the Swedish Government that the laws of Sweden dont apply to Swedish people i.e. the recent arrest of The Pirate Bay owners. And equally dissapointed that none of you seem, though apparently intelligent to know how to research properly.

the laws didnt convince anyone anything wink it was major corporations that caught the founders with a loophole. however it doesnt really mean anything because the founders have nothing to do with the running of the site, which has servers in other countries so it will continue running, and they've stated publicly they will burn everything they own before paying the companies a cent. PLUS an appeal hasnt even been completed yet, the battle isnt over.

Originally Posted By: R0cketSh1pDo any of you even understand the importance of Net Neutrality?

yes. free access to uncensored information, key to forming opinions, key to forming meaningful free speech.

Originally Posted By: R0cketSh1pI do hope I'm wrong here, but with recent trends.. like the banning of the right to own arms in the US (a right of the Constitution, no matter what your personal beliefs are), things are taking a turn for the worse. Whether or not your choose to believe this.

there hasnt been a ban on owning arms... and if you want to continue down that line go to this thread.

Originally Posted By: R0cketSh1pAnd if any of you think that our government is any different, then you will be in for a shock.. Just read the US Patriot act and think about the Oximoronic statments such as Homeland Security or Military Intelligence.

..the USA is not the governing body of australia..yet wink

with the increasing amount of info on the matter i'm believing the situation exists. although there is little impact an australian will have on the EU parliment..

Delete

Stone
GOLD Member since Jun 2001

Stream Entrant

Total posts: 2830
Posted:Mr Majestik, are you sure the mass internet filtering was rejected in Australia? I was under the impression that it was still on the cards to be introduced.

R0cketSh1p i don't think that America will ever even consider "banning the right to own arms". Too many American males would loose their identy if that happens .lol.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete

Mr Majestik

Mr Majestik

Posted:yeah stone i think its safe to say its been rejected in australia at the moment. the public said no, the ISPs said no. true it may resurface in the future, but many things do. the proposal as was made is dead IMO, the reason that its "still on the cards" i believe has more to do with politicians unwillingness to admit they had a dumb idea thats now dead than the actual possibility of it occuring.

Delete

Brenn
PLATINUM Member since Jun 2004

Brenn

Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.

Total posts: 3286
Posted:Mr Majestik, you have brought me a sigh of relief smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Delete

Stone
GOLD Member since Jun 2001

Stream Entrant

Total posts: 2830
Posted:I agree Mr Majestik, but what about the Australian Communication and Media Authority ?

Leaked blacklist irresponsible, inaccurate: Conroy

Originally Posted By: ABCBroadband and Communications Minister Stephen Conroy says a list claiming to be the communication regulator's blacklist for a proposed internet filtering system is not the real blacklist

This morning Wikileaks published what it says is the Australian Communication and Media Authority's (ACMA) blacklist of banned websites that is being used in trials of a proposed mandatory internet filtering system.

Senator Conroy says his department will continue to work with vendors of filtering software to develop technology to filter out websites that have been deemed prohibited under the Broadcasting Services Act.

Internet freedom advocacy group Electronic Frontiers Association (EFA) earlier said the leaking of the list has confirmed their fears that the Government was creating a quick and easy database for dangerous sites.

More information at Internet censorship in Australia

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Delete

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:I read the "leaked" Aussie blacklisted website list on wikileaks.

It was amusing to say the least. grin

Delete

R0cketSh1p

Posted:Dear Mr McKenzie

Re: Telecoms package

Thank you for your recent email regarding the Telecoms Package.

On Tuesday the Industry, Research and Energy Committee, of which I am a member, indicated its support for most of the common regulatory framework for electronic communications networks and services. The package contains four reports (two in the Industry committee, and two in other committees) on the reform of the regulatory framework for electronic communications- including mobile and fixed telephones, broadcasting and the internet. One of the reports includes provisions on internet use which have proved controversial.

I am pleased to inform you that the committee voted to ensure that no restrictions were imposed on the fundamental rights and freedoms of internet users, without a prior ruling by the judicial authorities. More broadly the package will also enhance competition and ensure that all market players have sufficient incentives to invest in infrastructure and services for consumers.

This report will now go forward to the Council of Ministers for their decision. While the European Parliament has voted to protect the rights of internet users, there is a risk that the amendments will get voted down by the Council.

France has been championing the three-strikes legislations and is likely to block these developments. I am aware that the UK Government along with France is pushing strongly to change the wording agreed by MEPs. This action will delay the progress of the report and put at risk the many important aspects in this package which will increase competition and boost jobs.

The internet plays an important role within society, both socially and economically. It provides a space for communication, to access information, for technological development and for economic activity. Everyone should have equal rights to access and distribute content at the speed that they choose. The internet has become a crucial building block to democratic society and as such I will continue to support measures which protect our freedom to use it.

Thank you once again for writing to me on this important issue.

Yours sincerely

Fiona Hall MEP

Delete

Mr Majestik

Mr Majestik

Posted:yay smile

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog

Internet Hate Machine

Total posts: 10530
Posted:So um.... wordy letter there, dense student here...

We win, yes? smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete