Forums > Social Discussion > UFC - Any fans? (Any haters?)

Login/Join to Participate

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Just wondered if there were any other UFC fans on here? Or general MMA for that matter.

I was introduced to it a while ago, and after getting over the *ahem* moderate violence (I was started on PRIDE, not UFC, so knees to head of downed opponenent were legal...) have gotten really drawn in.

Mrs Durbs absolutely hates it, seeing it as gladiatorial, I personally look at it as a relatively pure version of un-armed combat, the key part being willing, consenting adults. The technicality and skills involved are astounding.

Can't wait to see Silva fighting again, and the Machida vs. Evans fight is going to be awesome. Somebody needs to KO Rashad and Machida is just awesome. Plus the amount of ...oh wait, I'm a mod now..."rubbish" Evans has been spouting about Machinda he just needs to get pwned.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im with you here Durbs.

As much as I don't particularly like violence, seeing two muscle bound, sweaty men in tight pants, pounding away at each other makes me feel somewhat excited.

In the way that wrestling was entertaining because, quoting simian, "Its like a really physical episode of neighbours", watching people pretend to beat each other up, there was always the whole "They are just really strong actors" thing.

UFC is just proper mental, and I have the utmost respect for the nutters who take part. Freely willing to go in and the possibility of getting an ass kicking is something I doubt I will ever have the balls to do.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I just recentlyg got into it, never really like boxing or the like but there is something about watching an elbow repeatedtly hitting a forehead that you cant get other places. Then there is the envy of "damn, I wish i could fight like that"

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - see, I find boxing REALLY boring, even more so having got into UFC. Same as the olympic karate etc, very restrictive and stunted.

The older UFC stuff is a bit too "no holds barred", "extreme" kinds stuff with silly match-ups - but it's now matured into a very interesting technical sport.

Lyoto Machida even more so as he's one of the few karate/judo guys kicking the more traditional muay-thai/BJJ fighters.
There's very few thuggish brawlers left.

Interesting that Rashad wants to fight Sugar Ray - would be interesting to see an MMA guy boxing a "pure" boxer.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Silly matches like what? A tiny asian martial artist. (asian referring to the martial art, I cant remember if it was karate, kung fu or what it was) VS a massive kickboxer.

Kickboxer won the fight pouring with blood, the martial artist lost KO'd without a mark.

I've taken a slight interest in MMA recently, mostly because I would spar with a black belt friend and he could scarcely touch me . . . just because I'd done a tiny bit of karate and could quickly break down the basic approaches he was going to face me with.

MMA is much more fluid, there are few fighters that you would classify as being any particular style. A reference to style in MMA tends just to refer to what the style closely resembles.

So a less long winded version of everything rambled on above. I have begun to take an interest in watching the ways in which MMA fighters adapt to facing new styles.
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1240025315)
EDIT_REASON: To address OP

hug

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Styles in MMA are largely considered the components of their cross training. After Royce Gracie essentially embarrassed a lot of tough men, by making them submit, it made people realize they needed to know how to get out of a choke hold, just as much as they needed to know how to elbow someone's face.

So now people go at MMA training in typically 3 styles, but at least one grappling and one striking style. At this point the frenetic fights have sort of blurred the styles on the less highly trained fighters into being a sort of ambiguous MMA thing. Some fighters have very strict training and you can see the specificity in their style, for example Mirko CroCop TKOing people with only kicks to their legs.
EDITED_BY: MRC (1240176699)

R0cketSh1pyat daam - yee lek - saam gungfu
30 posts

Posted:
Genki Sudo, the best there ever was. This guy is probably the furthest from the White Guy with somthing to prove image of UFC

also see sakurabu i.e. the gracie hunter

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Genki is indeed badass. As is UFC in general.

Top thread grin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

R0cketSh1pyat daam - yee lek - saam gungfu
30 posts

Posted:
UFC is a good sport, but as a martial artist I think its false. Mixed Martial Arts has become a MA in its own right, its a hybrid art but its no longer 'mixed'. Its full of self important, white (primarily) wanna be hard asses.

I've allways been more interested in Pride, untill recently..

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I disagree - again, using the above examples, Machida uses predominantly Karate which to a degree confuses the standard MMA mix of BJJ and Muay-Thai.

I don't think it's particularly white dominated (though that determines how you're defining it...) - BJ Penn, A. Silva, Kongo, Machida, Rashad Evans, Rampage Jackson...
As for wannbe hard-asses... In the past yes, but aside from a few left-over brawlers (Kimbo Slice for example), the majority are now dedicated sportsmen (and women...)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

railspinnerjourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
It's definatly still mixed martial arts, although the light heavyweight to heavy weight class's I agree are starting to blend together, theirs still people who come in and mix it up, the standard BJJ styles that gracie fortified into the sport.

I love how ridicilously athletic the sport is. These guys are olympic athletes, and some of their basic fighting skills and physical fitness put olympic and profesional boxing and competition wrestling to shame.

Also it's actually a lot safer then most sports. For people who think it's a blood sport, it's not nearly as violent as rugby or hockey IMO.

The only thing I hate about it is the amount of idiot fans that it spawns, im tired of people who work out all the time, wear UFC shirts and go around getting kicked out of bars trying to be tough. I notice more and more idiots like this the more UFC gets mainstream. Ive had idiots who are like 240 pounds try to pick fights with me. It's like buddy your not proveing your tough by fighting someone who weighs 70 pounds less then you and isn't interested in fighting.

The less people know the more they believe

philisweatlySILVER Member
life's a garden, dig it
115 posts

Posted:
I am a big fan of UFC. But how can you NOT call it a blood sport. The point of a match is to either KO your opponent or submit him. You get kicked and punched and all kinds of twisted up and beat up. But there are the technical fighters that can take the actual brutality out of it and simply make you submit within seconds. But the good stand up fighters and brawlers put on one hell of a violent match. Watch Forest Griffin or Silva or The Iceman (in earlier matches). But still, as you said, there are those lame, overzealous fans that wear tapout shirts and think they are Bruce Lee. I love the sport and love to watch it grow.
EDITED_BY: philisweatly (1240612915)

haha

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I'm a fan
I know someone who fought for them on the low tier level. I think he was only on TV once or twice.
You see some great fighters who are decent people, but on the lower levels, some of them are just meatheads

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh, Machida vs. Evans was everything I hoped for.
Happy times...

I watched my first women's MMA fight too - the last Carano fight (purely for er... sporting appreciation wink ). Was quite interesting, I think it's daft they only get 3-minute rounds, that's barely enough time to break a sweat.
In the same event - it was pure delight to see Kimbo Slice get KO'd with one of the weakest punches ever seen. Hopefully he's quitting now.

Agree about the meatheads - I can't stand watching the UK-hosted events due to the amount of boo-ing that goes on when the game goes to the ground. Zero appreciation for the grappling skills, they just want to see a KO - why don't they just watch boxing/kick-boxing?

UFC99 could be good - Wanderlei is always exciting to watch, and Cro-Cop too (but sixth on the bill?!)

100 is going to be epic.

Incidentally, strictly speaking, "Bloodsport" is soley restricted to animal-related "sports", so MMA isn't counted as such (except maybe for Brock Lesnar).
If it's defined as a "sport which has blood in it" - then as somone above posted, so does rugby, ice-hockey etc.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

sam_metheSILVER Member
trance is the finer wine of electronic music
1 post

Posted:
it tends to be a love hate relationship on my end when it comes to the UFC in general.

I mean you are right in saying that there is a great amount of technical skills involved, but not in most fights. The UFC now is filled with A LOT of bums who are just following the trend it seems.

If you want real technical skills and entertaining fights. Look up the WEC. Those guys are amazing at what they do. A lot smaller weight class but they are AMAZING fighters.

iyam what iyam, and iyam indeed...a sammitch.