kdldamnSILVER Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
I'm a little confused, is a butterfly hyperloop the same thing as a butterfly airwrap?

If not, what's the difference in how they're done?

And how in the world do you do them split-time?

So, what's up?

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
howdy stranger, Let's break this down to it's fundamental elements:

Go back to the split-time same-direction side-plane hyperloop (the "normal" one). What is happening is that you air-wrap on one side of your body, bring the nexus (tangle point) between your arms, and then continue on to the other side of your body to let the poi unwind. It is the same principle as with any concept in poi that you wind up on one side and unwind on the other. An air-wrap in the wall plane (in the simplest sense) is a two beat tangle that moves from outside to inside. A hyperloop takes that tangle and moves it a further distance before letting it unwind on the other side.

Now think about a butterfly (opposite-direction) hyperloop the same way. A butterfly air-wrap can be done from either overhand or underhand. A butterfly hyperloop would be taking an air-wrap on one side of the body and bring it across to the other side.

I don't know if opposite direction hyperloop can be done in spit time, I haven't tried it yet. I don't know of any way to do same direction hyperloop in same time. If you figure it out I'd like to know how it works.

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
The neat thing about opposites is that in single time, the heads meet on the top and bottom. Split time is basically single-time turned 90 degrees - the heads meet on either side, and if you look at it that way, you'll notice that it's basically a sideways single time. Thinking about it that way, you can do hyperloops in split time. I'm not very good at it, but it can certainly be done.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Noelskimember
129 posts

Posted:
I started learning my butterfly (opp direction) airwraps vertically (tog time opp direction) then moved onto the side to side version (split time opp direction)

Luckily my learning progression was sorta documented in the tech blogs

Opp direction airwraps

Arashi does the vertical version (tog opposite) airwaps at about 24seconds of the 3rd vulcan tech blog, later in that same tech blog ian does a version with the arms starting crossed...

I do the split opp airwraps are at 1:29ish in 4th vulcan tech blog tech blog from a few months ago.

\

Opp direction hyperloops.

Ian does one of these in the 3rd tech blog at around 1:58
you can tell its a hyperloop because it doesn't just unravel it takes a beat to.

Just an aside about butterfly airwraps, they are very atomiky like most airwraps...also just like same direction airwraps you can wrap from outside to inside or from inside to outside....

Hope that helped.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
My biggest problem is that somehow I can not get the tethers to collide anymore. smirk

Any suggestions?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
The easiest way for me to do an airwrap (making the tethers collide) in opposites is with a method my friend Charlie Brown taught me where the poi spin underhand (coming up the middle), the top poi (because in a same time butterfly one poi is on top while one is on the bottom) goes like it is going to stall horizontally between your arms, then the bottom poi comes up and tangles it from below.

I still don't understand a lot of the things The Arashi can do with poi but all the ways he is able to get into butterfly air wraps is beautiful. The most important thing I think to remember with any tangle is that, as Noel mentioned, the poi need to be on slightly atomic (meaning not parallel) planes in order to intersect each other.

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
Noel, question for you if you're still paying attention, when Ian does the butterfly hyperloop it looks like he is doing the whole thing underhand in the wall plane. I had been thinking about a butterfly hyperloop as more of a side plane move where it airwraps on say the left side underhand, moves across the sagittal axis, and exits as overhand airwrap on the right side. Is that incorrect?

Another question, is it possible and is there any practical application for starting a hyperloop from an inside to outside airwrap? I tried it just now and it didn't work but I think that may just be because I'm not used to it yet.

kadenthespinnerSILVER Member
je ne comprends pas la français
13 posts

Posted:
about the inside to outside airwrap to hyperloop.
This may work if you do a 4beat airwrap on the inside, then only unwind 2 beats on the outside, leaving two beats to unwind after you cross the body.
that make sense?

-Kaden

Wondering why Kamikaze pilots wore helmets

Noelskimember
129 posts

Posted:
Airwraps tangle and then untangle, there is no point in which your are tied up and cannot come out,

if you do a continuous airwrap, it tangles then untagles every beat. As arashi says, theres no polar point.

But a hyperloop, gets locked up and has a point to rotate around, hence it can continue without unrapping for as long as you'd like.

Dyami, about you hyperloop idea, in the side planes, I can get the airwraps to work that way but thats about it, I dunno...
inside to outside usefulnes? Not sure, its neat?

Kaden- that is doing an airwrap then adding beats, then moving through the middle plane then unwrapping on the other side, that would work, but not sure if thats what we are talking about...maybe I miss understand.

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
Sababa, by that definition the hyperloop IanS does makes sense.

I haven't played with the inside to outside airwrap to go into hyperloop idea yet. I'm not very interested right now, but I'll come back to it.

kdldamnSILVER Member
stranger
23 posts

Posted:
I can do the hyperloop same time, it's just split time that screws with my head. Well that and the airwraps Arashi does with them up near the heads of the poi, because I enter the hyperloops near the handles then pull them closer to the middle of the tether. Maybe if I isolate the poi more I can get it closer to the heads of the poi. Split time I guess is just going to take a lot of messing around. I'm going to watch those videos 32095832 more times Noel.

Thanks for your help.

So, what's up?