Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > All new HAPPY THURSDAYS, Guildford poi/juggle/arts nights

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
**EDIT**

Ignore all the stuff below this edit!

Until further notice - Thursdays are meeting "down the river" on Millmead island between The Brittannia pub and the Yvonne Arnaud theatre.

Parking is available outside the Brit', or in the council offices just past this, or if those are full in the large car park by the George Abbot pub.

It's a short (5-10 min) walk from Guildford station.

Keen people arrive straight from work (around 6pm) with the majority of people turning up around 8pm.

Ignore the stuff below this as it's not likely to happen in the near future, and during the summer it's nice to be outside.

~~~~~

This is currently provisional - it might be shunted back a week into February, but just thought I'd get the ball a-rolling...

So, we've been granted the use of a MASSIVE indoor space for Happy Thursdays. Approximately 3 tennis-courts worth of space eek

And it's FREE biggrin

From 7pm - 11pm (Every Thursday obviously) - though again, this might shift slightly.

Sadly we've lost a fair number of regular Guildford spinners, some for a short period, others for longer - but to counter this we're throwing the night wide open.

We want breakers, poppers, lockers, caporeia-istas (no idea how to spell that...), drummers, uni-cyclists on top of all the jugglers, spinners and manipulators.

Even Ed wink

Just waiting on a couple of final bits of info - for example i'm not sure about fire play yet - but potentially this could be an AWESOME night - loads of space, lots of light, warm, music and lots of people to learn off biggrin

Once I get a definite start date, i'll post a map and give more details of how to get there, but vaguely:

Car: It's about 2 minutes off the A3 (so even Londoners don't have an excuse wink ) at the Spectrum Sports Centre/Woking junction (as opposed to the Cathedral/University junction).

Public transport : You can get a bus to very near, and getting back into town/station will just involve lift sharing smile

(For climbers it's about a 5 minute walk from Craggy Island)

Woo, and indeed, hoo biggrin

It would be wicked if we could get LOADS of people down for the opening night *HINT HINT*

weavesmiley juggle :everythingelse:

EDITED_BY: Durbs (1211366900)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Mutter mutter mutter...

I stood up all night yesterday without any problems.
tongue

Still - awesome turnout last night. Getting near to 30 people now, most of them even spinning/juggling :o

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

chrissiebnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
Hey Durbs,
I came to take a peek in this thread as you suggested! Do many people turn up just to watch? As a noob, it'd be kinda cool to come and watch people spin, but I'd worry about people going 'who are you, wierdo? go away!'

I'll bring my poi, but I'm a bit embarrased since I can only go forward and backward, and hit myself in the arse half the time..

anyway hopefully make it down in a few weeks

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep yep - it's all very informal - just turn up, spin if you want, watch if you want, give verbal abuse to Lex/Strugz (this is obligatory) - that kind of thing.

I don't think we've ever told anyone to "Go away" except for possibly some of the ducks.
And Lex.
And Strugz.

So yes, come along any time.
smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

chrissiebnewbie
11 posts

Posted:
cool cheers smile. It's a fair hike on the train, but I'll try and get down. Sounds like fun..

Bamsiclenewbie
38 posts

Posted:
Is everyone Happy Thursdaying this evening? Weather is pretty pants in Amazingstoke.... frown
Please cheer me up by telling me there's been a heatwave in Guildford, and I should pack suncream!!

I don't try to be strange, stuff like that happens naturally...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Oddly, it has been very hot - strolled to Tesco for lunch and it was glorious. Clouded over a bit now, but is still pretty warm.

I'm not there tonight, but I'm sure others will be smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
I'll be there tonight...

Bamsiclenewbie
38 posts

Posted:
I will probably be a little later than usual tonight... I've got some stuff I need to sort out.... but will be there, with my suncream wink

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Correction: I'll be there when/if it stops raining. forecast says it will, not that that means anything.

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Hope you lot had a good time in Guildford. We went to Sunrise and that turned out to be a pile of [censored] - rained off and cancelled!!! I can't be there next week either as I'll be in Spain but defo the week after. Hopefully strugz will be there to hurl some abuse at instead...

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmm - it's actually a rather nice day eek

What are the chances... wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Bamsiclenewbie
38 posts

Posted:
Hi all.... just wonder who, if any are braving it tonight?? I was probably going to go regardless... x

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, BBC weather says it's not going to rain all day... the fact it's currently pissing it down outside (and I work in Guildford...) suggests otherwise.

Regardless, I'll be there straight from work.

Oh er, just so people know - there were a LOT of kids around last week (non-spinners, think it was end-of-exams) and the table next to ours got busted for smoking naughty things. No cuffs, but certainly slaps on wrists.
Look busy, and try and keep naughtiness subtle smile

Also, the river is an "Alchohol control zone" - it's not illegal to drink there, but if the police ask you not to and you continue to drink, you can be arrested.
Not that we've ever been asked not to drink or had anything other than positive experiences with the police, but it's always good to be informed smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
the rain has reached Midhurst, but stopped now, and the sun is out again.

I reckon i might pop along tonight. There straight after work you say, Durbin?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep yep, though not sure what time i'll be finishing - mentally busy frown

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Bamsiclenewbie
38 posts

Posted:
Conclusion:

Bring umbrella
Leave explosives and other things that may invite negative police attention, at home....

Sorted.... see you later smile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
For those not on the mailing list (or those that don't read it):

Hey all

I’ve just been given 30 grandstand tickets for Cirque Surreal (www.cirquesurreal.co.uk) in Stoke Park for tomorrow night, for free! Woot!

If you would like to go along, please let me know ASAP, if we get over 30 people wanting to come, I can probably get hold of more.
Doors open at 7, with the show starting at 7:30.

For anyone interested in circus performance, this is a good opportunity to see some pro’s doing their thing, on top of which, it’s a free night out!

If you want to come – give me a ring or drop me an e-mail and I’ll give you the reference number needed to pick up the tickets.
I’m not too keen on just putting the reference in here as I know I’ve got more than 30 people on this mailing list, (especially plus partners!) and don’t want people showing up and not getting a ticket.

To get in the mood, perhaps we can meet on Stoke Park, just across the road from the circus at 6/6:30 – also if we turn up as a group we should all get to sit together.

Don’t know what time it finishes, but there should be time for a play afterwards as well to show them how it’s done ;-)

Let me know ASAP

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
So who else will be going to stoke park at 6?

I might have to be there a lot earlier...

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Hmmm...

On second thoughts, not so sure about tonight...

Having a touch of the crazies, today. I'll let you know smile

Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Slacker wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
by the river, at half 5, you say? sweet smile

Be Water My Friend.

Bamsiclenewbie
38 posts

Posted:
Weather has been crap all week, but it seems to be behaving itself today. Who's up for some Happy Thursdaying? Last week wasn't too bad, even though it was raining...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I might drop in - not for long though...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

old hand
845 posts

Posted:
So are any of you fatties about tonight?????? Weather looks amazing as usual, god I love our summers!! Fatty (Durbs fatty that is...) are you going to be about? I would like to see you before I go and can't make Secret Garden which sux balls but thats the way it goes...

Oh and my little shrew is coming tonight!!!!!! Wooooooohoooooooo !

I need it..... Trust me!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep yep, i'll be there.

Playing a spot of tennis after work, but should be there about 7.
No Fatty or Danny - not sure who else is at Glade/Cohen... But I'm there and that's all that really matters wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

old hand
845 posts

Posted:
hahah spot of tennis after work - will you turn up in your tennis whites??! Hope you remember to actually bring a staff or something this time! Well see you all later you fatties... kiss

I need it..... Trust me!

old hand
845 posts

Posted:
What is going on guys???!! Happy Thursdays still cranking?

Word on the street is that Keren will be making an appearance in teh next couple of months.....Miss you fatties ubblove kiss ubblove

I need it..... Trust me!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
It is indeed cranking... (?)

Nice turn out of chavs last night - James has made it back to us and it's dark by 6:30.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Hmm Chavvy Thursdays may be more appropriate???

I need it..... Trust me!

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
Are you calling me a chav??? I did miss all the abuse when I was away, but that's going a bit far...

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.

Page: