Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > Whats your Five favorite moves or combos to do and why

Login/Join to Participate

Spinout0517SILVER Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone Im Jt and im from Dallas. i want to know that you favorite moves and combos to do are.

My Faves.
1. Anti-Spin Flowers(aesthetically pleasing and fun feeling,the elegance of this simple move made me feel so free when i got it down
2. Crossers
3. five beat weave: i can do one all three ways i know how and i love the tangle variation it came in so handy for turns
4. box stalls (in out down any way i can get it i love it)
5. The btb weave because its soo sick when your new to poi

WOOPWOOP!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
weave, crosser, weave. because it flows very well
box stalls
right hand upwards stall

wendyv34GOLD Member
stranger
5 posts

Posted:
windmill to
5 beat weave forward turn to
5 beat weave reverse
add "6th beat" w/inside swing between arm & body (not sure what that's called)
shorten chains, turn to forward buzzsaw &
turn to reverse buzzsaw

Hmmm, is that 6? Oh well, it naturally happens when I'm spacing out with the music up. ; )

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
Ah shiza, only five, seriously? Moves? and combos eh? alright.

1. My all time favorite move is Chaos. The one where I'm prancing around for six minutes and the whole time no one has any idea what specifically I'm doing but they are all transfixed and mesmerized by the shear overwhelming emotional power of the dance so that their notion of reality becomes warped and while they're riding the ecstatic wave of mistaken nirvana I take their money. It is a difficult one to get right though.
2. My absolute most all time favorite combo/sequence ever is the one SriKanta does here in the first minute or so of this video when the music picks up and he goes into that weave extension, windmill something, to windmill barrel-turn leap with the weave kicks and more spins and the elegance and grace of it makes me melt and I love it.
Again:

3. Third favorite is anything Interactive. All the new Partner moves that have been springing up in the global consciousness lately. That concept of each partner doing one hand of a move like where I do the right hand's part and you do the left hand's part as if we where one person.
4. don't really have a fourth favorite move. it is probably something I learned at FireDrums last year but I still haven't finished pulling all that magic up from my subconscious yet.
5. Weaves. all the way. one of my first foundations and still one of the single most versatile dynamic moves I know.

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
then 6. would be everything with stalls, especially the horizontal possibilities, 7. All the flower patterns, 8. hooking the poi under some ligament and then pirouetting or something like that really fast to unwind, 9. juggling the poi, 10. illusionary isolation stuff like the isolated lockout and the linear isolation combos Nevisoul does. Actually pretty much everything Nevisoul does, the isolation-extension hybrid weave, 11. almost everything new I learn, 12. the small to big sequences like isolated lockout or crosser fountain or flowers to extension barrel roll...

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
Oh, and why: because they feel good and look good. Because of everything poi has exposed me to and because of all people I have met doing it.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
All of my favourites are based around the concepts I have been playing with and the funny new things I have been enjoying...

1. Its done in overhand butterfly, one poi does a point isolation behind my head for the top half of the beat and the other half is just an extension. The other poi does a vertical extended-cateye linear isolation. This movement can be done continuously (Not by me for more than a few beats) or can be done by alternating which poi does what.

I really like this one because it gives a unique pattern that for most of it only one poi is visable (The other is hidden behind my back) this means that the audience is really drawn into the movement of that poi as well as drawn into the confused delight I will throw on my face while I do it.

2. 4 petal antispin flower done in a front wall plane (same direction split time) It goes from crossed, uncrossed back to crossed with the other hand on top. When this happens I will do a plane change and a pirouette with the poi held with a handle at each elbow so my hands are in a genie position. From there I will slide my left hand with the plane until it is where my right is, then I will do a double horizontal stall and probably go into some kind of butterfly movement.

Involves a pirouette and a unique feeling one at that... it feels so free and yet has a feeling of structure. It switches between same direction and butterfly while scarcely looking like it properly changes direction at all.... in a way that makes sense anyway.

3. Anything to do with plane changes. Like an isolated stall switch, they feel lovely and funny as well as giving a very weird 3d effect for anyone that isnt viewing me head on.

Gives a 3d look as well as offering me more freedom of movement by unlocking the restrictions in my planar play.

4. Inverted plane change... poi are in butterfly in a corkscrew plane, come in the gap created by my body and my elbows, the heads go behind my back, I change planes and come out butterfly in a wall plane.

Makes me feel like I am giving myself a hug... with poi.

5. Any of the movements that come so close to my head that I KNOW I am going to lose hair when I get bigger fire heads. Number 4 is one of these. So is number 1.

They are lovely and slow, usually involve hiding at least one of the heads, allows me to switch the audiences focus from the poi to the way I use my body, taking away from the mesmerising effect very momentarily as well as allowing me to draw the focus into a single poi. Gives variability.

Sorry if I over-geeked.

EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1237763018)
EDIT_REASON: Reasons why I like them added.

hug

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Great thread, by the way! I think everyone should post, no matter what skill level, theres always someone below your skill level wondering what to do next!

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
1) Reels. For some reason I tend to drop into one or another type of reel when thinking what to do next.

2) 3bt weave variants. I use these a lot for visual effect by changing where my hands are.

3) Throws and similar. Just something different that many people here do not seem to do.

4) The "side-to-side butterfly swishy-swishy thing" and variants of it.

5) Stalls and pendula. Been playing with them more now, some fun stuff there.

OK, so these are more families than a given move, but still....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Spinout0517SILVER Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
heck yeah thats why ai posted this thread im learning so many advanced concepts and combos and wondering you know, where acan i go from this.

WOOPWOOP!

tanzende_federGOLD Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
1) my favourite move is some sort of a butterfly combination...don't know how it is called though ...you start with an usual butterfly than move your hands to an isolated butterfly in front of your head...open up your arms to the side for one beat and back down again (does that make sense??)

2) btb weave and than opening up to a regular flower...the body is turning for 180°

3) split-time stalls ...they just feels so funny!! smile

4) opposite turns...especially the ones when you shorten your poi a little bit and do split-time opposites.

5) 4 beat corkscrew (or whatever it is called) ...really like this move because it gives you a LOT of time to spin around in circles smile

YorkshireSILVER Member
33 posts

Posted:
I love the infinite hyperloop. 180 turn to left, 180 turn to right, 360 to left, 360 to right, then yank for the superduperuperloop!!! And actually getting out of the move!

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
fav moves
1. orbitals
2. throws and catches
3. butterfly flowers all of them
4. crossers
5. any thing anti spin
fav combos
1. go into a hyperloop from the lift side come out in to a right hand throw catch and go back into a hyperloop
2 any of the throw catch combos
3. stalls into hyperloops
4. weave in to anti spin flowers into windmill into anti spin wall plane flower

I love thinking in circles

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonGreat thread, by the way! I think everyone should post, no matter what skill level, theres always someone below your skill level wondering what to do next!

i'm fully with you maybe we should all try and post these up on youtube

I love thinking in circles

kadenthespinnerSILVER Member
je ne comprends pas la français
13 posts

Posted:
Lets see, five favorite moves/combos....
1.six petal, opposite direction, wall plane flower
2.matrix
3.isolated thread the needle
4. butterfly hyperloops (butterfloops)
5.cateye/extension hybrid

I do love poi spinning.

Wondering why Kamikaze pilots wore helmets

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
forward swing, backward step, backward swing, forward step then stall. bounce2

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I am bit of a n00b, so at the moment my 5 faverouites are

1. Starting with a 3 beat weave, do a couple of hyperloops from side to side and a few with turns, turning with it into a reverse 3 beat weave, repeate a few times (love turning with weaves :))

2. Hyperloop out the 3 beat rev 3 beat, maybe do a turn with the hyperloops into a 4 beat corkscrew, going into a 4 beat windmill.

3. Will come out of the windmill into a 3 petal wallplane flower and then turn and change it to a 4 petal flower on wheel plane, alternating from normal spin and antispin.

4. Come out of the flower into a 3 beat fountain

5. Fountain into a buzzsaw fountain, then play with that, alternating from a normal fountain to a antispun fountain.

I have just started playing with flowers and fountains so am a little obsessed with trying to perfect them...

EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1245462324)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

pitmanSILVER Member
addict
544 posts

Posted:
top 5: (at the moment)

-iso ttn to right hand wibble, then wibble into a reverse hyperloop
-anything in iso
-under the leg hyperloops
-juggling poi
-2 people combos

DONT DO DRUGS THERE BAD FOR YOU.
SO GIVE THEM ALL TO ME AND I WILL GET RID OF THEM FOR YOU!

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I feel quite inexperienced now tongue2

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

feelscapestranger
13 posts

Posted:
doing a weave, doing one poi bounce on my foot, reversing it (then split oposites) doing antispin compound circles, bouncing doing other way anti spin compound circles, getting into forward spinning direction with a bounce then doing an airwrap or an hyperloop with a turn and then back to a weave.