Page:
VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Ive got one in my room which has been making a rather attractive ornament for the last few months... until my nephew got his hands on it and messed it all up... can anyone do them? Ive been fiddling with the silly thing for the last few days and its driving me bananas! xxx ubbloco

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
no, but im going to buy one now

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
there's a few solutions floating around the net:

https://peter.stillhq.com/jasmine/rubikscubesolution.html
https://lar5.com/cube/
the second solution rocks and is easy to remember but i could never get to the 2x2x3 cube stage with mine... frown

i bought one off ebay that came mixed and now i'm doubtful that its solvable (mixed up stickers/blocks).

its probably fine but it makes me feel less stupid to say that wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Polarity is definitely the man to ask- I think he can solve them stupidly quickly;

Duncan?

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I've got a method based on the one at rubiks.com, with a few extra algorithms just to speed things up. It's a lot easier to remember than any other system I've come across, as each algorithm can be remembered using nonsense words like SOROSIRESERI instead of wierd F'DFDF'DDFD'FD'FDD type sequences.

I started writing it up ages ago, but haven't got round to completing it. I might get round to finishing it now I'm not too busy.

Anyone for a Rubik's cube workshop?

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
OK so what was the name of the mathematical juggler chap who did the show at the EJC where he tried to solve the Rubiks in between counting-juggling ? I suspect the audience person who mixed it up swapped some stickers... anyway he impressed me...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
oooo id love a rubix cube workshop! Im gona by all the different sized cubes as well.

You might have to take it easy on me tho... im not very clever! hehe. xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

Your find it much more expedient to dissasemble the cube then reassemble in correct order, on a good day I used to be able to 'solve' rubics in around 2 minutes.

mark

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
I can solve them in about the same time by dissasembling them, and under 1 minute 30 by solving them with algorithms wink I think my best time's about a minute, but I'm not much of a speed cubist.

https://stores.ebay.co.uk/Rubiks-Puzzles-and-Games
has the lot. I've just bought a Rubik's Magic to add to my puzzle bag smile

Now to get my method up on the web....
Non-Https Image Link

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
I understand all the steps that come with a rubix cube... but no one will teach you step one... and i can only do it accidently! xxx

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Can never do the Rubik's Cube but the Clock was a doddle...

Vixen? *Whispers*Coloured -Stickers!

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Neon *whispers* cheat! *poke* xxx

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Lower.... ubblove

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

iansmithmember
90 posts

Posted:
Try getting just one face of the cube the same colour. That should keep you busy for a while! And don't cheat by taking it apart or doing this algorithim stuff.(whatever the hell an algorithim is, anyway.)

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
An algorithm is usually a mathematical function performed on a set of numbers. in this case it's a sequence of twists used to solve some pieces of the cube without unsolving some other pieces. It's the only way to solve a cube that isn't cheating.

Solving a cube by blind luck could take you years, and you'd still be using algorithms, even if you didn't know what they were.

I've started putting my method up on the web. The algorithms for the first 2 layers are up at https://www.trionet.eclipse.co.uk/~rubiksolution/,
although I've still got a lot of work to do on the site.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: iansmith

Try getting just one face of the cube the same colour. That should keep you busy for a while! And don't cheat by taking it apart or doing this algorithim stuff.(whatever the hell an algorithim is, anyway.)

not at all man, i started playing with a rubix a couple of years ago and learnt how to get one side with all its adjecnt sides correct in about a week. unfortunatly i havent passed that stage ubblol

aahhhhhh!, i just spent twenty minutes trying to follow the instuctions and its not feaking working!!!!!! the abbreviations of the movements just dont explain how it all works.

i have gotten the first two layers without instructions though.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
When you buy a rubix cube it always comes with the instructions in the box... apart from the very first stage - if someone could tell me that then i'd be ok! xxx

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
I can

I bought my first one about 2 1/2 years ago although I did used the manual to solve it. Then I memorized the algorhythms and got down to around 1:15, and I went through 3 of them, broke 2 and lost 1. I got a 4X4 for x-mas yet I've been too lazy to figure out that one Juggling has been occupying my time enough. I'll probably buy one again in the near future Its fun to play with when I get bored.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
You can?!?! really!!! yay! I think i was gona go with the memorizing the manual approach. xxx

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
i used to pull the stickers off and cheat, or smash it and put it back together. my dad used to have a spherical one. which i'd also cheat with. id get frustrated and holler "YALALALAAAAAARGH!" and hurl it to the ground!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
well you never said anything about solving it and I stopped posting here for the longest time for exactly what you're doing now being disrespectful if someone says something as I did (I was tired when I wrote that) you could at least give a respectful answer instead of being a complete jerk about it I've decided to return to this forum and post here on ocassion but if poeple are going to be jerks than I'm not going to deal with them.

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
oh yes and you asked who can so i figured I'd add how.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Ive missed you Pre kiss hug

Welcome back ubbrollsmile

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
yea well I didn't like this forum but I thought I'd give it a second chance and see if the people have changed.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
question for people who know how to do rubiks cubes, does switching stickers round really make it undoable?? I never really thought of that, probably because as far as i can remember the rubiks cube has always been messed up and i think i might have done that when i was younger which would explain why even with instructions i can't get it to work. Moving the stickers around didn't really seem to matter at the time smile

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ubbidea

I think it depends if you swap same colours with each other wink

preSILVER Member
161 posts

Posted:
yess switching the stickers does make it undoable I've attempted to solve a cube taht had swapped stickers and it didn't work.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Did you try a sledge hammer?
Peter_Gabriel knows all about them. ubbrollsmile

1,643 posts

Posted:
hmmm... then maybe i will have to peel off the rest and restore it to solved position in order to muddle it and start again!.... or try the sledge hammer...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
if you try the sledge hammer please film it and put a link here! biggrin

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

1,643 posts

Posted:
ubblol will do!

Page: