Page:
animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I want to learn to throw myself around. I want to learn handstands, and flips, Power moves and all sorts of other tumbly/jumpy/flippy type things.

As well as learning all the technique, I'm gonna need to actually be able to support myself whilst my balance is all askew. unfortunately this is one of those areas where technique alone won't quite cut it, and I'm not of the biggest build. If I want to hang horizontally off a chinese pole, I need some core strength.

I don't want to join a gym, I want to do this at home, cheaply and efficiently. I'm not an iron pumping meathead. nor do I want this to take over my life. Contact Juggling is enough right now wink At the moment, I have fashioned weights out of bottles of water, and along with loads of sit ups and push ups, they're doing fine. I still feel like I'm missing something though. some muscle group I'm forgetting, or even think I'm exercising it when I'm not.

So, what exercises would you suggest/recommend for building up some core strength? I reckon I'm gonna need Abs/oblique, Lats, Trapezium, rhomboids, deltoids and erector spinae, (That's enough giggling from you, Dave wink ) ...Have I missed anything?

This will not only be useful for me and everyone else that wants to learn some flips and such, it'll also help those people that want to push their parkour, or the physical limits of their spinning (Staff acrobatics anyone?).

I'm also waiting for someone to say "Pilates!" wink However, this a Rubbish answer, and is quite obvious. I want specific exercises, people! smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I found an awesome exercise for building up my lower abdomen

Muscle isolation.

Basically, relax everything, and contract only what you want to build up. Having a comfortable posture helps though.

Lay on your back, with your spine long and as flat to the ground as possible. relax completely into this position. then, lift your legs by contracting only your lower abdomen.

when you contract a muscle, breathe in. when you relax and return to the start position, breathe out. Legs can be bent or straight, the important thing is feeling comfortable. smile Slower the better.

anyway. that's what I'm currently doing. may not work for all posture types, but it's working for mine at the moment smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
did I mention Capoeira? Its a very good way to build up the muscles you will need for alot of Acro, without jumping straight into doing things that could cause injury. If you stick with it, it often builds into actually doing Acro style movements anyhow. Although the style is a bit different to gymnastics tho (circular momentum vs linear).

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
LTC, be careful with that exercise, its really easy to $%&* your lower back, if you start getting any pain stop straight away. It works great though if you don't overdo it.

The same movement but hanging from a bar works really well too smile

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

ecaBRONZE Member
197 posts

Posted:
A variation on that exercise that works great on the abs is lay flat lift your legs (not with your abs) 20 degrees off the ground, hold with your abs for a minute or two, drop your legs and rest for 30 seconds, then raise your legs 15 degrees, etc.

Do this in 5 degree increments. Doing this on a regular basis will definitely strengthen your abs.

"Think of the pussy, Weevil."
"What's a pussy-weevil?"

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I've been using a load of the exercises in this book for the last few months: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Guide-C...4029&sr=8-1

I've found it really really useful, highly recommended.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Page: