Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Officially moving onto fire, need help choosing heads!

Login/Join to Participate

FoxxyLoveSILVER Member
~An elegantly bound book in a language you can't read~
43 posts

Posted:
I wanted to ask everyone's opinion on this. I'm an intermediate glow spinner and want to move onto fire this Spring. I know I want kevlar double loop handles and an oval chain...but as far as the head goes I want something with a medium weight to it, long lasting, and produces a bright flame that isn't too intimidating. What do you think is the best poi head for a fire noob? Thanks!

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?” -Alice

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
the Cathedral fold is probably still the most simple and durable way to make a wick (I am skipping the cylinder wrap method). They are usually made with I think 5cm-7cm flat wick and make a cube shape.
this will give you a sense of how to make the fold: luxotica.com/education/howtomake/poi.php
Don't necessarily pay attention to their instructions about how to attach everything. I prefer eye-bolts over that cotter pin thing.

I recommend getting away from double loop handles as soon as you are ready. they are restrictive. Go to Playpoi.com and check out the single loop handles he uses in most of his videos. One of his videos talks about how to hold them so that they secure themselves.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I second cathedral heads, don't touch tube core... they're rubbish. ^_^

A single loop can be used as a double loop... but I use chain that I wrap around my hands, the tip of the chain is wrapped in cotton material to keep the links from falling into my hand and the chain I hold is connected to the chain that the poi is on via swivels. smile

Why did I mention that? Because the best handle is the one that suits YOU best. But if you dont know, go for single loop, its the most durable.

Nicks fire handles freak me out, pretty sure they are nylon and he does spiral wraps. I'm sure they're fine but I know I'm too paranoid to use nylon in a fire set.

Good luck foxxylove!

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Mine are tube core, but very thin tubes with an eye-bolt through them. Not had any problems with that.

They are a lot heavier than most tube-cores I have played with....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
My issue with tube core is that the burn doesn't last nearly as long as cathedrals, they don't burn as bright and are too light.

I was a bit harsh saying they're rubbish, I wouldn't use them and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone, I think the price/time difference between tubecore and cathedrals is far, far outweighed by the differences in performance.

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well, I have never actually used cathedral heads, I may very well never go back. I should weigh my heads....

deshriaSILVER Member
Vagabond
3 posts

Posted:
I started with cathedral wicks but I was disapointed with burn time. I just moved on to MoonBlaze wicks from flamma mecca and I love them. The ones I have are 4 inches instead of 2 so they are a little bit heavier.

Dance while the moon is full and don't borrow sorrows till they come

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I did some measurements.

The tube of my tube-cores are about 1cm in diameter. The poi are about 4cm across. They are about 10cm long.

Still need to find a scale.