Forums > Help! > Can someone make me Fire Fans?

Login/Join to Participate

Neodolatelnamember
12 posts

Posted:
Don't know if this is the appropriate forum....

but I would really like to get a pair of fire fans, but i can't find them anywhere!

i'm not the most handy of people, so making them is out of the question. i really like these: https://www.pyrosutra.com/~irongypsy/fan.htm
but they are WAY too expensive. i don't even know if i will like fans or not, so i don't want to invest that much money in something i'm not sure i'll like.

i will totally pay someone to make some fans for me... it would be best if i can see pictures of past fire toys you've made. it would be even better if you happen to live in the bay area (in california). if you are interested, could you please email me at neodolatelna@hotmail.com

Lixtrimmember
32 posts

Posted:
hmmm make a design of your own and explain/show it to your local blacksmith or something check if he could do a cheaper jobb which i think he could.

[ 29. March 2003, 08:34: Message edited by: Lixtrim ]

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Hey Neo, Blacksmiths or welders are definitely cheaper, if you can get in touch with one. I have a friend who does metal sculptures around here who's making mine for me. I'm still waiting for them to be done, will post pics when theyre done if I have time, but I only paid 60$$ each for them, and it's my own design. If you do go this route, one thing to stress to the builder is _balance_, for me at least it's critical to fan design and use.

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Mtn. Girlmember
65 posts

Posted:
I just played with fire fans last month... Apparently there's a guy in Seattle who makes them, a little bit cheaper than the web site cost I will track him down and email you off-list.

But, you must come to our beach burn at Bonne Doon next month, April 6 so you can play with the fans. Highly recommended that you try them first before buying because 1) they are kinda heavy (compared to finger wands) and 2) if you have small hands, you have to stretch your fingers in the grips, and it hurts....uncomfortable to me. So, you'd wanna tell the designer your specific requirements.

If you wanna come play with me , check out the beach burn details: www.burningbeach.com

peace, mtn. girl

The experience of learning is living.

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
sorry this isn't aimed at anyone and I don't mean to bring in negative energy, just wanted to mention it to have a think about...

the artist who designed the fans on that website would have put hours & hours & lots of energy into creating that design... it's just important to remember to respect him/her for their artistry... in particular, sorry Lixtrim, but I felt your suggestion to show the design to a manufacturer to copy was a little disrespectful to the artist

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
have you tried Bear Claw?

He's local to you and is usually very good at these kind of things.

Meh

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Did you see the ones on the site that Neodolatelna linked to, Bec?

I could be wrong but ....They didn't look particularly exciting or worth the money that was being charged for them.

But I'm no expert in these matters.

Meh

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
was just a little matter of principle

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
back atcha

Meh

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
Just outta curiousity, does anyone else use a thumb loop on the bottom of their fans?

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
Neo
I have just added fire fans to my product line they were inspired by some fans i used made by pyrosutra Like you they were way to pricey and heavy for me.here is my url https://www.darkrizen.com/Firefans.htm

as to thumb loops not really but my smaller fans have a finger loop I spin them on my thumb
middle finger index finger it really gives the fans a nice effect moving and spinning at the same time

when the fans are made to the right balance and weight they seems to really come to life. I have really enjoyied using the fire fans.

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
RIZ !!!! Shibaki told me how cool your fire fans were... looking forward to trying them when i come visit next november if everything goes well
sorry to highjack the thread for one second :
::does a lttle hypnotizing dance to Riz and whspers do the fire fingers for me ... do the fire fingers wohooooooo::

shine on
cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

Fire By Riz tmmember
212 posts

Posted:
:::::::wanders aimlessly in a semi hypnotic state mumbling must make fire fingers must make fire fingers::::::

Wheeeeeeeeeee we get you in nov.I will have you a set of fingers made when you get here.I have a set almost done now but started playing with the fans and lost all interest in them
::::laughs:::::::;
cant wait til nov

I have been cursed with the imagination to envision it all

Lixtrimmember
32 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bec:
sorry this isn't aimed at anyone and I don't mean to bring in negative energy, just wanted to mention it to have a think about...

the artist who designed the fans on that website would have put hours & hours & lots of energy into creating that design... it's just important to remember to respect him/her for their artistry... in particular, sorry Lixtrim, but I felt your suggestion to show the design to a manufacturer to copy was a little disrespectful to the artist

Sorry...that was not really what I was wanting to say with that post...just the blacksmith suggestion....also never seen or heard of fans so I dind't think that there were any other designs.

Now I know and I will change the above post..

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
hey Lixtrim... I'm sorry to have been such a meanie - I realise you didn't mean anything by it... I won't go back and change all my bits as it will just make this thread all confusing...
is great to see so many people creating & making such lovley fire toys...
hugs to you all...*

Fire_Freak_Burnernewbie
13 posts

Posted:
rolleyes
EDITED_BY: flash fire (1161927919)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
[edit] all clarified and resolved. things are cool [/edit]

Thanks for reviving this thread anyways.
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1161972046)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

oO_Hell_Fire_Oonewbie
12 posts

Posted:
fire fans ?? that is EVER so cool !! woaa ! cool eek is it hard ? (soz i might be going off topic... redface

Agni78SILVER Member
stranger
3 posts

Posted:
hello
I wonder how I could sew cathedral heads to my fans (I had got a beautifull sceleton of fire fans) I want to use it for colorful spinning with meths and fire dyes
They can't be just glued . What to do? how to do? smile
help
agni

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Hi Agni78!

It is very important that you attch wick with care, obviously, cause if it comes off into your audience, BIG problem...

fFirst of, usually people dont use cathedral folds on fans. ( Not that i have seen, at any rate!) Typically there is a few small holes drilled through the post, the point you want to attach it to. Then strong wire is wired through the post and the kevlar, and the kevlar wrapped around the post, with the wire tucked in so it is not exposed.Some people use kevlar thread to fold over the outer edge, and attach it. some people use the wire for that too... Often, there is also a section at the top of the point, that either gets bent over, to be extra sure the wick can not slide off, or that is wider so it wont slip past should the wires ever break.

I suggest you go online, and look closely at more pictures, I am not explaining as well as i would like to! Do more research! Have fun, and good luck!

* Also please keep in mind that you should check the connecting point of your fire toys before each burn to be safe.

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
*discreetly nudges readers to HoP's fans* wink

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

daniredmondsSILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
Kind of related ...... can someone explain to me how to fix the
wick onto the frames which are available on this site.
I can see how the wick hooks under the 'j' bend but how do you
fix the other end after winding round the metal??
Cheers