GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
They are actually stronger than they look. Easy to make and use if anyone already has some swivels

Homemade poi swivels so the cord doesnt tangle. Made from a fishing swivel (pack of 10 50p) and keychain. Make one loop around the swivel to attatch the main cord and leave open at one end to attatch poi head.

34352P1060549

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
*disclaimer* Not for fire use....

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Could try and see what happens with fire. Just do an orbital really fast and play 'guess which direction the heads fly off in'

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
you can take bets on it too!

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
Hey Geeza, what kind of swivel did you use? Is that the barrel swivel? or ball bearing? and what size?

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
The ones i use here are pretty crap actually. Barrel swivel Size 4. B/S 26kg

Im using ball bearing ones at the top, i think no 7s, not 10. They definately arnt over 4cm in length.

I dont actually like using swivels at the bottom because it causes it to tangle more on all the 'junk' we should get fishing companies to make swivels with 2 splitrings on either side then the beallbearing swivel bit inbetween

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Get fishrings, geeza.

hug

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
fishrings?

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
Ball bearings are hard to find here in Oklahoma. I've seen one online but it is only No.5 too small I think. I bought barrel swivels at Walmart Size 1 but it doesn't turn much compared to ball bearings. I don't wanna order in here too coz I don't want to spend that much for shipping. peace Where did you get your ball bearings Geeza? If somebody can point out where to buy cheap ball bearings that would be much appreciated. Hehehehe!

What are fish rings by the way? grin

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I got them barrel size 4 ones when i was in australia at a random fishing shop. Cost about 50c for 10.

My ball bearing ones seem a bit squeeky when then turn but still allow me to get a 3 or 4 second orbital. (combined with colecord and crystal poi with weight sleeves)

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
Cool! I've been working so hard with my orbital using my sock poi and happy with approximately 7-10 turns, I think. Maybe it'll work better with swivels, anyway, thanks for the info. I'll just sort something out perhaps.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I went to an actual fishing supplier to get my size 10 ball bearing swivels. I can do orbitals for as long as theres momentum.

Fish rings are simply what they call the split rings that you get from fishing suppliers. Much smaller than regular split rings. I use them on my fire set.

The smaller ones are about the size of a oval link chain but I don't use those on my fire poi set, I use the larger ones. Smaller ones are rated to 50kg and the others are rated over 100kg, but they are super small. You need pliers to put them on your set which was awfully annoying before I got the hang of it.

hug

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
Hey rampant whirler, hehehe, how much did you pay for them size 10 ball bearing swivels in the fishing supplier?

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Paid in AUD, chief, so it wouldn't be much good to you to know. Something like 4.50 for a pack of 5 or so I think.

hug

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
orbital with (i think) no 7 ball bearing swivel at top

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
this is actually the best place I've found to get ball baring swivels online:
homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/No-10-Ball-bearing-swivel
A friend of mine also found a batch of them on E-bay. size 8-10 seems to be the best range for poi.