Page:
PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi Everyone,

well we have one of these set up in one of our practise spaces at home. Its about 10 metres long, and there's a climbing rope set up about 6 foot above the line to help with developing balance. But that's about all we know!

Does anyone have any tips, or can point to any good resources for learning slackline?

I've found;

www.slackline.com
www.slackline.org.uk;

good tips so far;

https://forum.slackline.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1186
Most of getting started is building ankle strength so you actually have the ability to steady the line. Just standing in one place while your legs shake and keeping your balance is the best way to do that. Tight lines seem to help out with this, too, because the line won't move as much and you'll be able to control it. Keep it up, and make sure your son gets his friends into it.

https://forum.slackline.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=739
DO go out and by webbing, rather than using rope. 1inch tubular webbing is fine and you can get it from hardware stores or places that sell climbing gear.
DO start with your dominant foot � ie if you�re right handed, start with your right foot.
DO start with your legs TOGETHER. This means you�ve got one foot on the line and the inner edge/ankle is hard up against the inside of your other leg. This means your foot doesn�t wobble around so much and gives you a whole lot more confidence. You soon realise that the only way its gonna stop wobbling around is when you put all your weight over it, so just practice by standing with your legs together and just raising your �ground leg� an inch off the ground. Don�t worry about trying to put it on the line straight away.
DO keep your back straight. I had a tendency to lean forward, which put my weight over the leading foot too early, before I was properly balanced.
DO start taking steps. Moving forward seems to be easier than standing still.
DO start with shoes on, because it can be quite uncomfortable with them off. HOWEVER, after about a week of practice, I realised the main problem I was having was that when taking a step forward, if I didn�t put my foot dead centre on the line, it would roll off the line or throw me off balance by pivoting my ankle. I decided to try shoes off and immediately improved. I think this is because your feet are much softer, and tend to mould themselves around the line, so it�s more forgiving if you�re not dead centre. So, start with shoes on, but once you�re comfortable, try them off.

DON�T give up � give it at least two 45min sessions.
DON�T set your line up too high. Mine had a span of about 6m and I set it up 1m off the ground at each end. This was perfect because when all my weight was on it, the middle was about 3 inches off the ground so I could step (fall) down easily, and it only came to mid-thigh when my weight was off it � just below the critical point if you ever want kids, if you know what I mean guys.

https://www.slackline.org.uk/slacklineforum/viewtopic.php?t=183
When I teach beginners now, I reccomend starting on a line about 5-6 meters long. Start around the middle of the line, one person either side to support you. Feet parallel to the line. Bend your knees. Look straight ahead (focus on something no moving - like the big fat tree you tied your line to Smile ) Arms slightly above your head. Relax and find your balance. Don't try too hard to keep the line from moving - just follow it instead. Using arms and hips for balance.

EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1236645357)

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
There were some slacklines set up at Woodford this year by a lovely chap called Ryan who also ran sessions every day at Circadia. His company/organisation- Slackline Australia- make excellent (they say world's best) slacklines, run workshops etc. Their website is full of info and stuff- they seem to emphasis the 'inner balance' and psychological development of it as well as the physical.
Have fun!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the info.

That looks like fun, a friend of mine has been learning Circus Slack Rope recently, i have had a few trys and it is really fun but pretty tricky. It seems different to this one though, for circus slack rope you use a static round rope and it seems that there is more swinging involved.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I have mucked about on one before. Climbing, hacky and slacklining seem to go together often enough. wink

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

cosmicomicstranger
2 posts

Posted:
slackline.org.uk has a great forum, anyone can register and get advice on how to start. They have slackline meets all over the uk for anyone interested in joining a likeminded group for a slackin session.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
woo - after following some of the advice I posted above, I can now balance on one foot...for a while! smile

--

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
After about another 1 hour time on the line (over 3 or 4 sessions) I have managed to take a few steps, and balance on two feet on the line.

Josh's Tip # 2: When learning to balance on two feet, bend your knees to lower your centre of gravity, but keep your back straight and look straight ahead at a fixed object.

tis fun!

--

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
I may have gone and ordered a slackline after first seeing this thread redface

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Josh's tip # 3

if you want to learn quick without too many nasty falls, string a dynamic line above the slackline a bit above head level (when you are on the line), that you can grab if you have to. this has saved me some big stacks so far.

--

ciquarBRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
I actually began slacklining around the same time that I picked up poi-about 9 months ago. They're both great for gaining control and understanding of the body. Slacklining, once you've learned the basics, can be extremely relaxing and meditative if you want it to be. Both slacklining and poi at the same time on the other hand...haven't quite got the feel for that yet!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
After another 30 mins practise.. Now I can walk a little bit on the line.

--

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
that reminds me josho, ive got quite a large slackline sitting around my mums place, maybe i should bring it for CG if i drive?

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
I recently got myself a slackline and I've got to say I'm hooked!

After a week or so of concerted effort I can now walk and turn (one way at least tongue2 ) with reasonable consistency, and have managed to start from sitting on the line a few times with each foot. Also managed to jump onto it a few times, but only on a very low line!

To all who've read this and wondered whether it's any good; I really cannot recommend it enough. It's so addictive!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yo Joe - did you buy a kit or just the tape and some biners?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
I got a kit like this one: https://www.gibbon-slacklines.com/en/produkte.html

Good for learning on, I reckon. The webbing's massively wide, and the ratchet system means you can get it bar-tight very easily. Also can be set up or taken down in easily under two minutes. Highly recommended smile

Looking at buying some more webbing for making longer/thinner lines, but the ratchet should work with those, too.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah - was looking at them. Needlesports sell a kit as do Slackline.org.uk all for about the same price.

Just noticed V12 sell tubular webbing for £1.60 a meter, then 2 slings and 3 'biners would be less than £50... Hmmm.

When are you coming back to Guildford? wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

ciquarBRONZE Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
All right, I've got a few tips for those of you just starting out. But first I'll say that I use a very simple primitive system for setting up my line. Just 4 carabiners and it's auto-locking. I've used this method for almost a year, and I've never had any problems. Ratcheting kits can be very convenient, but cheap ones have their limits. Anyways...tips!

-Go barefoot! It might be uncomfortable at first, but it's good to get used to that right away! I find slacklining to be much easier and much more fun WITHOUT shoes. But that's just me!

-Make sure you're sticking your arms out! Don't be scared to flail you're limbs all over the place for balance. Also, beginners tend to keep their legs very close together. When you're balancing on your left leg don't be scared to stick that right leg way out for balance.

-if you can't take more that one or two steps, make sure you can balance on each of you legs individually for a decent length of time.

-DON'T LOOK AT YOUR FEET! Look at the very end of the line! You need to look at something that doesn't move.

-Keep a little bend in your knees and make sure you're taking deep breaths.

-Slackline with a friend! It's good to learn with and bounce ideas of off another person. I've always improved the fastest while slacklining with others.

Sorry if these things have already been said...I just think that these are the most important things to keep in mind while beginning.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
My local circus skills club just bought a slackline. Its even harder than it looks!!! It's a lot harder than the tightrope, in my opinion.

I've got no tips that haven't already been mentioned: I found it easier without shoes on, with the slackline beneath the gap between my fourth + big toe (running straight from toes to heel), and with my arms out.

I can't walk very far on it yet, but I'm okay at balancing on the spot. Can't wait to get back on it again. grin

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
hehe - set it up at a festival on the weekend and hooked a stack of people! smile

Had a fairly big session and can now walk the length of the line.

I reckon shorter lines are easier - the one we have in the home practise space is longer, and I find it more difficult than the one we set up on the weekend.

turning around is a bit tricky!

Did a bit of bouncing to try to get ready for tricks...but fell off.

--

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Shorter lines will sag less since there is less to stretch.

This is the same thing that makes certain types of climbing falls more dangerous: a lot of rope being paid out means that there is more to stretch and so there is less shock on the system.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

cleezyBRONZE Member
journeyman
58 posts

Posted:
slacklining is addictive!
barefoot is he way to go, you get a better feel for the line. I have a 1 inch wide line they are the best! to be honest it just takes time, you have to build up muscles you hardly ever use. when you are holding on to someone for support and let go to try on you own you whole balance is thrown off, so it is best to learn by mounting the line by yourself. that helped me a lot. you can try bouncing or pressing down when you feel like your about to fall or your line starts to wiggle side to side.

eh, i miss the slackline..sadly we don't have properly space trees here...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I got a line for my birthday grin

Managed about 4m of travel after an afternoons playing.
Got a couple of turns too, tried (and failed) some jumps.

Haven't tried jumping mounts yet - maybe tonight...

Highly addictive

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
Got a Slackline, looking forward to taking it out this weekend! First time! tongue2

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Taking one to Nick Woolsey's next Bali retreat in a few days. Just waiting for it to appear in the post....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Does anyone have any reccomendations for progression?

As far as I can tell, a good tick-list is to master for beginners:

Balancing - 2 feet
Balancing - 1 foot
Walking forward
Walking backward
Turning
Surfing - Feet forward and/or side-on
Jumping on the line
Jumping on to the line
Sit start
Standing -> sitting (Nearly got that)

Anything else worth getting the hang of?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
nah I think thats a pretty good list Durbs. Now it's just working towards getting more and more air between your feet and the line.

I've been in Slack withdrawals, cuz its been raining a lot lately frown

--

earlbacherstranger
5 posts

Posted:
your feet stop hurting after about 5 to 6 weeks... just massage your feet after a session.
it is addictive, very much so... been slacking for about two months now, almost every day. (rain) i think i've averaged 5 1/2 days a week for the two months that i've been doing it...
dont do many tricks, but i can now walk 50ft on a regular basis..

elementalspritestranger
6 posts

Posted:
Sooo I want to get a slackline

where is the best place to get them in/for Australia/New Zealand?
or perhaps make my own, though i'd really have no idea where to look for pieces...

*dreams* oh look a pretty cloud

earlbacherstranger
5 posts

Posted:
you can make your own with climbing gear, just remember.. once you use the gear for slacklining, its not recommended that you use that gear for climbing again...

you can get tubular webbing, the line you use for top rope setups. and some carabiners, you can set up a line...

check here: https://obergma.blogspot.com/2008/08/slackline-setup.html
its one way of doing that works well..

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
In Australia;

https://www.slackline.com.au/

their lines are fairly well priced for what you get, and they are designed for quick setup. If you just usse climbing gear, there are a few knots you need to know how to tie, and getting the tension right is a bit of work when you are starting out. If I were just starting out again, I'd recommend getting a fast fit eg;

TITAN 15 Metre Rachet System Slackline -$150.00AUD
https://www.slackline.com.au/index.php?pa...t&Itemid=30

J
EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1247627930)

--

TABjugglerSILVER Member
26 posts

Posted:
I got a chance to try one of these out at a fest and it was way harder than I thought it would be!

I want to learn in the future though!

Page: