hazephaseSILVER Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:
I would like to learn poi and would like to do shows and performances. If you are a poi artist pls let me know how you how long it took you. Thanks

poivideos.com

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Hazephase, there are a few other posts like this (I believe one was even called "How long before you get artistic?" or something similar) - you can browse through the Expressive Movements and Beginner's Poi fora to find them...

But different people move at different paces - and it depends on your definition of artist. Some people may be incredibly talented but not consider themselves artists, whereas others can make a great show out of only very basic moves. It's all about how you move your whole body, and how you interact with the audience, and just overall "flair". I think a lot of us poisters notice a subtle change in our spinning when we go from "learning the ropes" to "artist", or at least I did.

As far as being ready for shows and performances - that's entirely up to you. If you feel *safe* and *secure* in your spinning - that is, you have a repertoire of very solid moves that you know you won't screw up (if you are performing with fire this is extremely important), and you aren't stage-shy, then go for it. I find spinning in public places helps get you used to people watching, and kind of tunes you in to the "Cater to the audience" mentality - you get an eye for what they're watching and what they want more of. If you have access to a video camera that can also be a useful tool because it lets you review your performance afterward without trying to keep your head pointed at a mirror to see how you're doing. ^_^

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
It also depends on how much time you have to devote to it.

If you are able to poi for an hour every other day you will probably be able to get more practice time than someone who works every day and has a couple of hours on the weekend.
Someone who can show you what to do will probably lead to you learning whatever they know faster than if you try to discover it on your own.

There are too many variables to answer this properly.

And I agree with Mucky: I do not consider myself artistic (or incredibly talented, but anyway...) even though I can probably pull off an ok performance. I think part of it is that I do not choreograph anything, but that is another thread in itself....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
I have been at that question for months now and still have not my final answer. Any intelligent buffoon can string technical phrases together. It takes a different sort of practice to learn to create meaningful stories and characters then portray that as emotion provoking, visibly appealing movements.

Read the Poi Guidebook For Everyone:
[Old link] [Old link]

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
I'd like to add that it helps to be REALLY passionate.
I mean I was planning out moves in my head before I ever got my first toy (ropedart) and when I got it filled my thoughts constantly. By the time I got poi flags I had already been practicing it in my head. I just adore picking them up and using them. I'm not saying this is required, but it helps.

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
#1: get an idea of what you wanna achieve in your poi-spinning-career
#2: forget about #1 and start practising.. a lot
#3: figure that #1 might not be exactly what suits you the best and return to #2
#4: after a few years realize that #2 only won't make you a great poi artist either
#5: get over #4 and start practising poses & showmanship
#6: start writing bananas instead of smashing your wall against the head, don't get confused by rotten tomatoes though
#7: figure that 99222 doesn't necessarily mean 7481""4
#8: finally you will figure out once and for all that there is no instruction manual to becoming a poi artist
#9: find your own way, stick to it but be prepared to leave it every once in a while

/e:
#10: don't be intimidated by what I just wrote..
nah seriously, take it easy but put some effort in your practise grin
(took me six years to get where I am right now. sure you can make it in two hehe)
EDITED_BY: duvan (1234452104)

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ahh! but you first have to define 'what is an artist?' and that should keep you think for a few years...

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Muckyfrom "learning the ropes" ^

i see what you did there grin tehehe

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MuckyI think a lot of us poisters notice a subtle change in our spinning when we go from "learning the ropes" to "artist", or at least I did.

I haven't noticed, I guess that means I'm no artist.

I want to be an 'arteest'!

hug

LevFiredance Philosopher
79 posts

Posted:
Art in the context you are using is defined as such:

The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that affects the sense of beauty, specifically the production of the beautiful in a graphic or plastic medium.

So, there are a few aspects to this, which I have underlined to help.

So first word, conscious.
How to relate this to poi? Conscious poi just means "poi done with the look as though it was done with intent" which to me anyway is easiest done when it follows the principle of dance, because to a public's standpoint no one is going to understand if you do a complex combo, it will look like spinning lights, but if you dance it (artistic movement to accompany music) you can use the music's energy to mark the changes in your style so even the newest watcher can understand exactly how much intent you are putting in your movement, which makes it look more human and less mechanical to the application of simple physics.

Aka putting the humanity above the nature of poi, which is all human art is... expression past nature.

More on beauty:
[Old link]
EDITED_BY: Lev (1236468564)

cleezyBRONZE Member
journeyman
58 posts

Posted:
thank goodness for #10!

hazephaseSILVER Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:
I have been doing poi for 6 months and I have going to do a performance in a 10 days time.
I have Jay from France teaching me for 2 months and that was a big help.

poivideos.com

poifull_spiritGOLD Member
journeyman
64 posts

Posted:
Good Luck Hazephase!

I am in a similar situation to yourself. I would like to perform and busk and travel and hopefully use poi to help support myself... I have no idea if this is even plausible but I'm gonna give it a try anyway!!!

I've been doing it now for 10 months, using it to recover from shoulder surgery and was about to start busking when i dislocated my shoulder again. But with a bit of perseverance I will be on the streets in less than a month (hopefully).

If anyone has any advice I'll gladly take it.

bobbym123SILVER Member
stranger
2 posts

Posted:
ANY one travelling in india who can do fire poi,
I do a martial art called kalaripayattu.

sunshine smile

Camilla LeeMiss Flame
6 posts

Posted:
During my time teaching firedance I have meet many natural performers.

Enjoying the present with the flames during the performance seperates the artist to the learner.

So my advice: Have fun, enjoy yourself and pay attention to the flames and audience

Flaming greetings
Camilla Lee
Vognmandsmarken 42.
Copenhagen, Denmark
tel: +45 2212 0369
mail: ms@flame.dk

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Also remember you dont have to perform to a audience to be a artist i never do shows but do conser myself a "poi Artist" I spin alot and have for many many years now being passonate is the most important thing.

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I seem to be very lucky as that my cousin knows some people that might want to hire me. How long it will take not only depends on your skill, but on the people you know. Try talking to some managers or owners of clubs/bars/ect. and see if they will, or know anyone who might hire you. Hell, you could put up posters advertising yourself for parties. It all depends on how determined you are, how long it takes before you're comfortable performing, and also, remember this: people that don't participate in this kind of thing are extremely entertained with fire as long as they're moving pretty much. So you don't have to do much for a lot of people except interacting with the crowd is more important than anything really.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Why, 'lil ol me? I sir, am not, I happen to be a lizard crash waiting to happen, I don't know what that means, but I'm sticking to it.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin