Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Here dwell my poi my videos.

Here's my first. Lots of stalls, a couple of whip catches, other than that it's fairly standard.

I read a lot of stuff on this site, and watch a lot of videos, so it's about time I start to put something back. Thank you to everyone who has (sometimes unknowingly) taught me.

I wish the camera had lasted longer than 10 minutes, so I could get into a flow... and do more tricks... but, I shouldn't make excuses, I'll just make another one soon.

I'd love to know peoples thoughts. What you like, what you didn't like. And if you'd like tips on how to do anything, I'd be happy to help.

And any tips on making a better video would be appreciated.

And here's the second video: Just a little better, but at least it contains different moves. More whip-catches and plane changes.

And here's the third video: A short video, more different stuff, dominated by plenty of plane changing.

EDITED_BY: Danny_ (1237540825)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
nice one! grin

loving the stalls and suicides

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
grin
Yay - about time we had some proper videos of you.

Right, well considering how long I've spent spinning with you, especially the amount of hours spent on whip-catches they seemed pretty absent. Change of focus or a non-whippy day?

You also seemed to be spinning faster, and dare I say (yes I do) slighly less-tidly than usual. However your stalls are tight-as and some nice time-shifting and LASA variations, me likey (and stealy wink )

Hmmm, this all comes over a little negative, but this is only because you seriously rock at spinning and I've seen you spin about 3-times better than this so I feel mildly justified being harsh wink

With regards to the video - I'd zoom in a little so you fill the frame more, and maybe mix up the camera angles some... Meh, depends what you want the video to be - educational/demonstrational or eye-candy...

hug

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
great video, i liked it a lot!

My favourite things are how you mix different speed and the way to use stalls, and at last poi's colour is nice. :-)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
yup, you rock!

Agree with Durbin and his tidy comment... but fair play.

Now come back to Brizzle, dude! grin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Cheers All!

Durbs, the lack of whip catches is very sad, and unintended. I blame the camera battery. Next video will feature more whip catches, more control, and lots of other stuff I missed out... and be more zoomed in... and if you're lucky, multiple views.

I'm looking forward to another visit to Brizzle... whenever that may be...

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Great stuff dude, your spinning always manages to confuse the hell out of me! *attempts to steal moves without getting too large a headache*

djCoiPowSILVER Member
"The Deeper Sorrow Carves In Your Heart The More Love You Can Contain" Judee Sill
11 posts
Location: Ledbury, Herefordshire. West Midlands, United King...

Posted:
great video! yours stalls are ace.

keep it up, i need to see some of tese moves a lil closer so i wait for your next video!!

xx

YorkshireSILVER Member
33 posts

Posted:
Bad ass! I like the stall/direction changes, censored is trippy as hell! It's good to see a different style of spinning! Good times!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
The stall switched line iso thing at 2:10 can be done as a cateye line isolation as well.

I dunno if its actually any harder, just means your hands change which hand is on top, I tend to use a bit of a bouncy stall to get it across, though I can do it with less of a bounce or more of it as I like even if it doesnt always turn out quite right. tongue2

The stall switch at 2:40 is that a stall switch or a plane change? To me they're almost the same anyway, but in a plane change you let the poi spin rather than just moving your hand around it and pushing the poi.

To make it clearer... to me a stall switch can be a plane change in which your HAND moves on a different plane while the poi is yanked along the same one... (most relevant when isolating the head)

Of course a stall switch doesn't require these components, but this isn't a stall switching thread. Maybe there should be one.

Nice vid, anyway. Whats the weight in your poi? Looks light.

hug

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Yup, the "stall switched line iso thing" can be done as a cateye line iso, although getting your hands to move far enough up and down to keep the poi taut is the tricky bit. For me.

At 2.40, it's a stall switch; my hands and poi are moving along the same line. If i were to take my hands out of the original plane, it would be a plane change with a line isolation (not a stall switch); or i could take both my hands and the poi heads out of the original plane, making it a plane change with an isolation. For just half a rotation, they looks almost identical to a stall switch, and a stall switch is easier.

To make it clearer... to me a stall switch has to have both the poi and hand moving along the same line (or one staying stationary). A line happens to be the intersection of two planes, so you can mix stall switches and plane changes quite happily.

If you let the hand move out of line when doing a stall switch, and still call it a stall switch, surely a cateye line isolation is also a stall switch?

These poi are roughly 80g handle, 130g head. Not very light!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I dunno, depends on categorization, for me the start and end point need to look like a stall.

The reason I classify some stall switches as plane changes is because if I do two horizontal stalls out of same direction, same time then want to make it look like a stall from the other direction (Which I usually follow with a float) then my hands need to break plane... but as far as I'm concerned its a stall switch. So I'd call a plane breaking line isolation a stall switch also.

Why not call the cateye thing a stall switch? It begins and ends in a diagonal changing the diagonal, the poi CORD breaks the line isolation in order to switch sides.

So I guess for me a stall switch is a movement in which the poi head and cord do a line isolation (from one point of view) and the hand can either break plane or stay in plane. Mer mer mer. All a bit trivial, really, but thats the way I see it as I play.
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1235821753)

hug

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
I kinda of agree, but i don't think there aren't any other moves that change their name dependant on the point of view.

I'd call that double horizontal stall thing a plane changing stall switch.

A stall switch being something goes from one stall to another makes sense. And a plane change being something that changes planes makes sense. I'm happy with that. I don't generally fuss over names of stuff until I come to talking about it... which isn't often... so I often have trouble describing what I do!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Lots of things are also something else.

Like a square is a type of rectangle. A linear isolation can be considered a point isolated antispin or an extended cateye.

I think its because all of this reasonably new stuff of linear isos and that kind of thing are all hinged off a combination of elements.

A butterfly linear isolated square is the same idea... combination of point isolated antispins and I don't really understand the other half of it, still scratching my head on that one... I should get better at doing it and then see how we go at understanding what the hell its doing.

Anyway, if this is to continue perhaps we should start a stall switches and other tangents thread... I might do so now.

I agree on the not horizontal thing being a stall switch... I want to be able to do that thing in split time, but it rends my brain in two... Havent tried that in a while, should get back on it.

What the hell?! I can do it without a problem... Oh no... now its opened up more doors... swapping which hand is on top WHILE doing it... That thread is getting put on hold.
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1235823800)

hug

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
Here's the second video:

Still plenty of room for improvement, but hopefully it's interesting anyway.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
no, the first vid was interesting; this was captivating. The flow is similar to what I love to do, but the catches and plane changes were much better than what I can do.

YummY!

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
More for anyone? Number three: