Forums > Social Chat > ATTN: San Diego Poi'ers

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
alterego
alterego

Warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer
Total posts: 222
Posted:I will be in town from June 25th to July 9th. If any of you wanna hook up reply!

Ciao,
Brian

Delete Topic

dulce flames
Total posts: 234
Posted:I might be able to make it down there, but I'd love to set something up at the beach in Oceanside too. Who would be interested in an O'side gathering?

Delete

Kyrian
Dreamer
Total posts: 4308
Posted:Oceanside would be lovely, it's much closer! I don't know when i can make it tho.... weekend gatherings are hard on me.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Delete

Agua
Total posts: 67
Posted:Just FYI, July 25-27 there is a Capoeira Batizado in Oceanside for the Quilombo School. Batizado means "baptism". It's an event where people who play Capoeira move up in rank. But it is also a lot more than that. Teachers from Brazil will be in town and have workshops, and people from all over the US will come to visit and play Capoeira. After the workshops for the day, we will probably go down to the beach and bbq and probably have a roda. So we might be able to do some spinning there (anyone familiar with Oceanside's rules on fire stuff?) There will probably also be parties at night. And there will more than likely be a live Samba percussion group So, if any of you can make it, stop by. I believe there is a small price for watching the classes or workshops, but chillin' with everyone at the beach and parties afterwards is obviously free. For any questions concerning the Batizado, please e-mail capoeiraquilombosd -at- yahoogroups -dot- com because I don't remember where the flyer is posted online and it has the location and price info on it. If you e-mail that addy it goes to everyone on the Quilombo list, so just say in the e-mail, that you know "Agua" (<-that's my nickname) and wanted to hang with us and spin some fire or whatever. They will be able to give you more info as the event draws closer. So anyway, hope you guys and girls can make it. And bring some friends to enjoy the shows. If you haven't ever seen Capoeira, seeing it at during a Batizado is an incredible experience. And of course, you'll get to meet a ton of people. Anyhoo, enjoy the day/night whatever it is wherever you're at. Lates

Agua

Amateurs practice something until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

Delete

calvran
Total posts: 61
Posted:Sunday nights are great, but the hippies have migrated for the next few weeks, from what I've heard, so a Saturday night gathering would be perfect.

Saturday the 12th in Oceanside would be great, I don't know the area that well however, so maybe one of you oceanside people could find a good beach?

I seem to recall spinning at a really long beach in the rain a few months ago, I have no clue where it is or what it is called, but it is a good beach.

Delete

dulce flames
Total posts: 234
Posted:We've never had any problems spinning fire on the beach here in Oceanside. As long as people are being responsible with their fuel.

Shaun- Do you think the samba group will play after the workshop also? I would love to hear live samba and see some Capoeira. What time do the workshops end at?

I'm into organizing a gathering at teh beach, but I just want to check dates with everyone on here and work out the best time. Also, if we want a bonfire pit, weekends aren't the best time.. But, if we just want to put out some tiki torches, we can use any spot of the beach. Let me know what you guys prefer.

Delete

Agua
Posted:DF- I don't know what time the workshops end yet. As soon as I get an itenirary from my Mestre I will post it. As far as the Samba group playing, I would count on it at the parties afterwards. And we will play Capoeira at the beach, definitely. So you'll know when I know.

Agua

Amateurs practice something until they get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

Delete

Randy
Total posts: 42
Posted:Ok, so I'm definately in for the 12th in Oceanside. I'll also have a friend in from Chicago who will be attending. Maybe more since I'm going to another BBQ/Meet thing earlier that afternoon in SD.

Delete

Randy
Posted:Since this topic might be slightly misleading for people up in OC/Oceanside, I've started a new topic in Events to discuss the gathering this weekend on the beach in Oceanside.

It can be found here:
http://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001081
br>
See you there!

Delete

Agua
Posted:I just found out our Batizado might not be in Oceanside. I will let you guys know where it will be held as soon as I find out.

Ciao

Agua

Delete

Ningal
Total posts: 23
Posted:How exciting to bump into a thread for fire lovers in SD! I have definitely met a few of you, and would be interested in meeting more of you. Problem I am leaving tomorrow for a 2 week vacation. I would love to meet up with yall when I get back though!

Anyone thinking about going to the Spoon Party August 2nd?

>^o^<

Delete

Kyrian
Dreamer
Posted:spoon party?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Delete

LLcoolPat
Total posts: 38
Posted:Would that be the spoon return people from Burning Man?

Delete

Randy
Posted:Alright people.. how about another gathering at South Shores on July 27th?

Our last burn in Oceanside was a blast, although having more drums and more people (as South Shores could afford) would be a lot of fun! So, would this work for everyone?

Delete

Randy
Posted:Or better yet, Dulce reminded me about the Capoeira at the beach thing that same weekend in Oceanside. Let's shoot for that instead?

Agua, any more info on that event and the after parties?

Delete

Nyx
enthusiast
Total posts: 385
Posted:NOOOO!! Not the 27th!!
Hey ya'll, i'll be flying in to San Diego on the 28th and the luvly pozee has offered to once again put me up at his place for a few days...i'll only be there until wednesday, the 30th...is south shores the place we all met up last year when i came to visit? Let's spin! I want to see everyone!!

"Dancing can reveal all the mystery that music conceals"

~Charles Baudelaire

Delete

Agua
Posted:Okay, here's a little bit more of a scoop on the parties. Don't know if they will still be in Oceanside. We'll find out soon. BUT, there will be parties the 25-27 after the workshops. Um, if you are interested in showing up, e-mail at phoenix471 -at- yahoo dot com along with a cell number and such, and I'll call you guys with specifics as soon as I find out. That being said...

This Saturday the 19th, a PARTY is being thrown to welcome the Mestres from Brazil. It starts at noon and goes to...well, we capoeiristas, so the party really never ends. It will cost 10 bucks, but it will be ALL YOU CAN EAT AND DRINK (and I'm told there will be vegan and vegetarian food). The house has a pool and jacuzzi as well, so come prepared. I have to work, so I won't be there until after nightfall. But if you go early, just tell them you know "Agua". E-mail me if you want to go and I will forward you the directions. For you Oceanside ppl it might be a drive. Falamansa's house is near Mesa College, just to give you an idea. But, trust me, it will be worth it. Anyway, let me know ASAP and I'll get directions to you.

Ciao,

Agua

Delete

Agua
Posted:Sorry this post didn't come sooner, but we had some difficulties with getting the location of the Batizado. The Batizado will be in PB at the City Ballet School which is off of Garnet. Friday night there is a class at 7:30 that will probably last about 2 hours+. After that there will be a party. If you e-mail me I'll send you the directions asap. phoenix471 -at- yahoo dot com

Saturday morning there will be workshops, and the Batizado roda is scheduled from 3-6, I believe. Again, following the Batizado we will probably head out and party some more.

I don't know what the schedule for Sunday is, but there will more than likely be a party afterwards.

Sorry I still don't have a lot of info. Tonight in class I should get the entire layout and I will post all of that.

We've got people from New York, Philly, Arizona, Utah, and Brazil that will be here on Friday and be staying through the weekend. It's gonna be a lot of fun, I hope you guys can make it.

Agua

Delete

Agua
Posted:So here's the schedule:

Saturday, Batizado roda at City Ballet School which is at 941 Garnet. The entry IS NOT from the street, it is in the alley, It costs $10 if you want to watch (sorry couldn't get around that for ya). It goes from 3pm-6pm. From there we are either heading to Crown Point or Falamansa's house to BBQ and such. There is some room to spin at Falamansa's house, and he has a pool and a jacuzzi. If we go to Crown Point, I hope you guys can make it. I'll be able to let you know tonight sometime which one we are doing for sure.

On Sunday we are having a workshop @ Crown point at 11:30, that will probably go about an hour and a half. After that, the rest of the day is pretty much BBQ and party on the beach. Come one, come all, and bring the fire down.

Ciao,

Agua

Delete

Kyrian
Dreamer
Posted:nyx? wah. i work 28th-30th. i don't work 27th or 31st........

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Delete

Page: 12