Forums > Technical Discussion > Good sock material for orbitals?

Login/Join to Participate

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
What sock material would be good for orbitals? So far i can only do orbitals with colecord, my hyperloop socks are great, but the material sort of slips instead of grabs. Also they dont have swivels

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
stretchy material is meant to work pretty well, apparently

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
foxy socks are stretchy and they dont grip at all, same with normal socks

maybe its my isolations? can anyone orbital with socks well. I can a bit with my hyperloops because they have some grip but tangle up too much

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I can do it if I'm really quick about it, otherwise they tangle up a bit much. (My socks don't have swivels) I guess stretchy material would logically work best because it'll stretch rather than gripping on itself and pulling the whole thing back the other way.

No matter what, though, you won't be able to do an orbital for an extended period of time with the socks.

hug

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
oh yeah, heavy heads should help as well: more weight = more momentum when you tighten the orbital = increased length of orbital

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

joffjkDIAMOND Member
147 posts

Posted:
i use ericpoi uv sock and they orbital real nice. i can get at least six turns before they slow down. i actually think that the grip helps orbitals because it stays in control rather than spinning out of control and you lose when to get out. i personally dislike the stretchy poi stalls for one look a bit shabby with bounce.

https://www.erikspoitoys.com/eriks-poi-toys-html/eriks-poi-toys-shop-fluoro-tube-poi-orange.html

I love thinking in circles

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I have Hyperloop cones and yeah, they do twist up pretty quickly- I modded mine with some svivels and now my orbitals last for aaaaages smile

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
how did u mod your cones with swivels chutney? the best i could do is a nylon loop through a swivel then another nylon loop, then tie one end of socks to one loop and use the other as a handle.
There is too much know though so it makes orbitals worse than before.

have you chopped up your hyperloop cones crazy

johndhaiveGOLD Member
Kebab Embalmer
316 posts

Posted:
I use regular socks for orbitals and it does the trick well but not as long though... just about 3 - 4 seconds max.

Tam tam tam cheketitamtam, ketumpantam, ketumpan kete kete kete, tam tam tam ketumpanketey!

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
slightly stretchy, thin fabric that is not glossy at all so it has friction. Orbital can last for a few seconds before the twist kills it.

Project for you all out there: Find a clean, secure way to attach a Soft weighted handle directly to a swivel, and that directly to the rest of the "sock". Nick Woolsey shows the way he does his at about 3:10 in this video:

KosmosBRONZE Member
hyperactive
5 posts

Posted:
and what about fire poi?
i have balls chains but it's pretty hard to get orbitals to last long. i can do much better with stretchy socks, however they too die because of tangling.
am i doing something wrong with the chains? any tips?
EDITED_BY: Kosmos (1243508750)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I found that ball chain requires you to get the hyperloop adjusted correctly before doing the tug for the orbital, oval link with good swivels is more forgiving I feel.

Ball chain is also susceptible to wearing with the way the chains move against one another... they can tend to weaken a lot faster... for the more safety conscious amongst us then that can be a big issue. smile

hug

KosmosBRONZE Member
hyperactive
5 posts

Posted:
well, the whole thing with ball chains seems to be working, it spins nicely after the tug, with equal lengths and everything. it's just that it doesn't last very long..

J_scapBRONZE Member
stranger
19 posts

Posted:
i use these odd bamboo thread like socks that are actually really cool, i got them at costco (bulk store) and they stretch out amazingly, so if you wanted you could tie the ends together and have meteor aswell as poi which is a really good combination