GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I was going to post in the other thread but its not the same move so...

At 2.54 the guy does sometihng like an isolated hyperloop, is there such a thing and is that what im seeing? Looks kind of cool

://www.playpoi.com/learn_poi

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I'm not quite sure of the name, but basically its an isolated hyperloop, only the hands are moving in the opposite direction to the poi head

Bluecat taught these at PLAY 2006 in his 'the 10 hardest tricks I know with poi' workshop I think..

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

FlecolanGOLD Member
Chillisity!
42 posts

Posted:
hmmm lets call it an isolated antispin hyperloop shall we?^^

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
No... cos it's not wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Counter-isolated hyperloop?

hug

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Not even that really - it's an isolated hyperloop, just with the hands moving independently... The hands don't affect the actual trick, just enhance the visual aspect of it.
Why even name it?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
So when someone asks about it in future, we can say "its an isolated hyperloop"
The same way all other moves (and everything in the world) got their name

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
It doesn't need a name though -it's just an "isolated hyperloop" with your hands going the wrong way...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Because someone had a go and I didnt agree with it either... so I got curious as to how I'd go about categorising it.

I don't think it needs to be either, but the way I make sense of poi and indeed my general nature demands that I try, even if just for my own personal interest.

hug

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I suppose you could call it an antisolated hyperloop if you were desperate to name it: as its not actually antispin just an isolation in the opposite direction.

I guess then if you were moving your hands at right angles to the direction of spin you could call it atomolated wink

but generally, I agree with durbs - the move isn't really affected by the movement of the hands, its just like moving your leg in and out while doing a hyperloop and calling it a hokey cokey 'loop

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hokeyloop!

Chickenloop! (Whilst doing the chicken dance)

A whole new world of possibilities.

hug

Arson86SILVER Member
once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places...
20 posts

Posted:
can anyone tell me what a gremlin is? I have been seeing the name, but never the move.

ashes ashes all fall down...
...Sat Nam

ExuroThe Prodigy
82 posts

Posted:
Gremlin?!
why, have you found one?
if you have, you musn't give it water.

You play with fire,
You're going to get burned.

Arson86SILVER Member
20 posts

Posted:
heehee haha hoho how do i achieve jedi status and accomplish this with poi? tell me or i will assemble and water all my gremlins to send them after you young padawan

...Sat Nam

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I have never heard of it...

The only reference I can find tells me that you can learn about what it is on the Poi Groove intermediate DVD...

It sounds like a name they have given something to either make you wonder enough to buy the DVD or otherwise make it seem better than it is. Marketing the movement one might say...

Why don't you learn a gilligan instead?

hug

Arson86SILVER Member
20 posts

Posted:
why mothers son i think you have it!!!! i would love to learn a gilligan but i happen to be stranded on RHODE island not gilligans, could you possibly teach me this? you got me the reverse 5 beat and i do believe you should put out more vids sir!! btw why do the poi ppl call it reverse and not underhand? it is all the same direction depending on which way you turn....

...Sat Nam

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I have a few more videos planned... but uni has gone back, so I dont have the time to make them, especially not when my computer is in the state it is. (Pain in the bum to edit on)

Ok... gilligan..

Do a stall with one poi.

Leave it there.

Congratulations, you are now doing a gilligan.

There are interesting ways to use this, I assure you. Ronan has a few nifty tricks involving gilligans up his sleeve.

Why not underhand?? Some people do! shocked! But its much easier to classify direction as it relates to your body(and arms) and as it relates to the other poi than simple direction in 3d space.

EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1237507283)

hug

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Arson86why mothers son i think you have it!!!! i would love to learn a gilligan but i happen to be stranded on RHODE island not gilligans, could you possibly teach me this? you got me the reverse 5 beat and i do believe you should put out more vids sir!! btw why do the poi ppl call it reverse and not underhand? it is all the same direction depending on which way you turn....

I might be mistaken, but I believe 'gremlin' is Fire Groove terminology for a opposite direction 4-beat hip reel. They have funny names for tons of basic moves: ie 'love', 'flirt', 'earth', 'dragonfly', etc. Taken in the context of who the intended market for their DVD is, I think it's actually brilliant. Chances are if you are of the mind that got you actively discussing poi on the HoP forums then you are probably not in that intended demographic. But it works for a lot of their clientèle.

moving on...

I call it 'reverse' as opposed to 'forwards', when in a wheel plane orientation because it's easy for people to grasp the wheel analogy: if your poi where wheels, they'd roll forwards or reverse. It's a fairly intuitive analogy for newbs that are spatially disoriented.

'Underhand' has no meaning by itself: the poi spend just as much time swinging overhand and as they do swinging underhand, no matter your orientation. If you say "underhand and away from the front of your body" then you have some information of orientation and direction of spin... but it's a mouthful!

Now in the context of a reverse weave, underhand makes a little more sense... but once again the other hand is spending equal time going over the hand that is swinging under...

It's late, I should stop posting and go to sleep tongue2

+Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

kadenthespinnerSILVER Member
je ne comprends pas la français
13 posts

Posted:
well, I think it's actually an orbital, with the hands orbiting the center of it.
(orbiting the center of the orbital).
Just because the hands go in opposite directions, doesn't make it antispin. antispin is only when the center of the circle is the hand, pretty much.

-Kaden

Wondering why Kamikaze pilots wore helmets