Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Problem transitioning between weights.

Login/Join to Participate

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
So like...
When I transitioned from glowsticks to my 1cup-per-hand poi, I could barely play with those poi for over a minute. Now, I can whittle away with them for half an hour, but I can't control my glowsticks anymore, due to the fact they're too light, and I can't even feel them spinning anymore; they don't hold any substance.

I'm only worried about this because I'm going to show off at the school dance with a friend, and my glowsticking skills have become quite sub par, unless I'm freehanding.

Any suggestions on how to get used to how light the glowsticks are? I'd love to add fishing weights, but I'd probably hit myself or maybe even someone nearby dumb enough to come close, not to mention security might not let me through. I also contemplated to tie glowsticks together to three per hand, but breaking them would be a problem; they wouldn't show as well, or I'd break them all at once.

Bloody ultras. x_X

Risen from the Ashes
The Phoenix shall rise in his royal flaire.
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
the way I see it, you have 3 options:

practise lots with glowsticks until you get used to them again

or

attach glowsticks to your usual poi somehow/ find someway of making your usual poi glow: glowsticks + weight in socks might work

or

make/get some glowpoi: possibly get some foam balls, hollow out the inside and stick the glowsticks in them to use as poi ends: there's lots on this kind of thing in the technical discussion forum

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I had an issue similar... I put weights on the glowsticks... I used blu tack, or as aston calls it 'prestik' Its a temporary adhesive used to put up posters.

hug

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Lulz. I have tons of that in one of my jobs. But I'd probably need a half pound of it. xD

I was thinking of gluing two glowsticks together to form something similar to duo flowlights.
EDITED_BY: V_Regal (1236094198)

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
get heavy glowsticks. or flomass?

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Blah. There are not big, heavy ultras I light for one. And second of all, don't have any flowmass that would fit on a glowstick, nor do I have flowlights. I thought of a rig, so I'll show you guys later when I get the chance.

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Update: I've finished making a pair of temporary rigs.
For each set, it requires 3 strings: 1 for connecting the 2 glowsticks together, the head touching the tail of one (It needed 7 knots in total, so the glowsticks wouldn't slide all over the place, and 4 more as guidance knots for another string), another to loop around the inside glowstick, to serve as a handle, and the third one, the shortest, to tie the inside glowstick to the string in a type of harness, to make it smoother to spin.

Complicated, but maybe I'll get colecord one day, and use some drapery rings with quick releases to make a more permanent set.

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Heh. MNS: *everyone* in ZA calls it prestik. tongue2 Or at least everyone I know....

You could break one and then attach it to the other two with a rubber band surely?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
I COULD.
But what happens if the unlit ones come in between the lit ones in the direction of the camera? Color gets distorted. xP

Risen from the Ashes
FIND YOUR DESTINY.