GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
How is this possible?

When i try the poi head just sort of bounces at the bottom when my hand is at the bottom making the circle

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Antispin isolation, if there is such a thing. Then move up and down I guess. Just a stab at it.

Risen from the Ashes
The Phoenix shall rise in his royal flaire.
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: AlienJonThere is a lack of really good cateye tutorials that I know of... hopefully I'll change that somewhat soon.

Here are a few resources that are pretty good:

+Alien Jon

I know another way to try to learn it... learn a line isolation, the basic one from

#t=0m22s

Thats half of the line iso, the one after it with two poi in butterfly (show with clubs) is technically a cateye. Get the top and the bottom and its an EXTENDED cateye, really, from there its not a huge jump to just a regular one.

And if you havent already, make sure you've done

#t=0m50s

hug

astreaPLATINUM Member
lovely flamer
6 posts

Posted:
It is like juggling, the effect is so geometric!!!

Thank you for the videos - I never knew there was a name for that move.

Good Goddess, I'm such a flamer!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Thanks, the last vid was the most helpful. Though im not quite sure how the arms crossed bit works, mine keep hitting my arms or each other.

Do I have to isolate them as they are crossing?

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Nope. They have to do a cateye. Try it with one poi. Cross your arms, hold one poi in the hand on the bottom and jump the poi over. If you're even able to isolate it, you're going the wrong way.

As V Regal said its "antispin isolation" Though I prefer to call it 1 beat antispin. Using a unit circle its also similar to isolation, though.

Would a slo mo version of that movement help you, Geeza? If so, PM me your email and I'll email it to you. smile

hug

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
hmmmm, think im getting there. seems to help if you can things like ttn with arms crossed -like you are going to do a 4 bt ttn (that i cannot yet do or really tried to do)

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
areee, i get it now, i didnt see the non spinning on the opposite side of the antispin. That makes it more understandable (and a lot more complicated!)

Geoff_RoseboroughSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
What helped me the most in learning cat eyes was Noels video, specifically the diagram in his notebook

Non-Https Image Link

When I'm practicing and cleaning up my planes for cat eyes, I start in the center unit circle - extension. Your hand is moving along the circle in the same direction as the poi.

From there, I play around the circles. Imagine your hand moving along the paths. Moving from the center circle to the one on its right results in a change of hand direction, though the poi head remains in the same direction.

I actually imagine these circles in the air in front of me when I'm playing. The smoother your hands move along the lines imagined, the smoother your cat eyes will be.

Also, the diameter of the circles should be about the length of your poi. A perfect isolation will follow the circle exactly.

Also, Horizontal Cat Eye is loads harder than a vertical one (at least for me it is) I'm rarely able to move from center circle to the circles above or below it.

Hope that helps. It fascinates me, and I love Noel for it smile

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I am pretty sure thats Jons theory of infinite circles, but yeah, who the credit goes to isnt important, its a great way to think about it.

"Also, the diameter of the circles should be about the length of your poi. A perfect isolation will follow the circle exactly."

Yeah, I think this is whats referred to as the unit circle.
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1236770726)

hug

CyrilleSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
Jon's theory is very well thought

My theory is: From everywhere to everywhere.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Hehe, ultimately I like everywhere to everywhere too. wink

The unit circle grid is just an interesting filter or game you can play with yourself. You give yourself the rule that you only move your hands along the circular paths in some way:
That could be circling then reversing the direction of the hand It could be changing from one grid circle to then next by touching the point where they meet and then coming back out again on the next circle (a bit like your hand traces a rounded W, shape if that makes sense) It could be moving from circle to circle by making a figure eight, which is what I've talked about the most, and is what Noel was illustrating with his drawing.

But then there are all these other ways you can move in and out of unit-circle driving styles too, cutting across linearly, locking into one from the loop or arc moments in flowers... the sky is the limit. It's just fun to come up with rules to play with some times.

+Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

Noelskimember
129 posts

Posted:
I like both theorys but anywhere to anything is good because you can really play with the hand timings of your tricks...

This is easiest to see if you to a wall plane tog time same direction vertical cateye then change one of your hands to a spin type movement, like an isolation or extension, this will do what all hybrids (that involve antispin and isolation ) do, which is change the hand timing direction to the opposite direction of the prop...

changing between hand direcitons and timings using cyrilles theoery is really cool.

but for some reason how timing is changed with spin vs antispin hybrids I can't really understand, cause with spin anti spin flowers i just wuss out and would say that the timing changed to a polyrythm, igonring the fundemental charactaristics of split and same time.

EDITED_BY: Noelski (1237248442)
EDIT_REASON: crappy grammar.