Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Exercise For Better Pain Free Poi

Login/Join to Participate

davidravensdadstranger
10 posts

Posted:
I have been spinning for just over a couple months now. I know that poi is a good general exercise. I am finding that my shoulders ache after a few minutes. I know it is just my using muscles I haven't used before and in ways I haven't used them before.

I am looking for a good set of exercises that will help build those muscle groups so I don't end up injuring my self. I am doing some light weights, and not pushing through pain once it starts. I still haven't gotten much past about ten or twelve minutes of poi in at any given time.

Does any one know any good exercises the will help me build the strength and endurance in the shoulders, and spin past the pain?

David Demonja

V_RegalGOLD Member
Lost in the Lights
101 posts

Posted:
Iron Shirt and Iron Arm martial arts training.

I personally don't feel much of anything when I get hit, unless it's straight tot eh nose or between the legs. I've had enough abuse on my body that pain usually doesn't bother me too much anymore, unless it's consistent. =P

There are two main ways to build up pain tolerance: a) Get used to it. Occasionally HIT yourself on purpose int eh same spots, or b) Just train your muscles, to have a larger, more dense mass of muscles to cushion the blow.

Risen from the Ashes
The Phoenix shall rise in his royal flaire.
FIND YOUR DESTINY.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Are you stretching first? Thats the obvious one.

Use the poi to give yourself a massage. Mmm. Delish.

If its really an issue, use deep heat before a really big training session and it should help. smile

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
V_Regal: I got the impression that it was not hits but fatigue.

davidravensdad: Stretching first helps. Also, depends on how light they are, you may be spinning much faster than needed because they are too light?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
there's some good advice here (quite specific to your problem):

and also here (more general advice on stretching)

[Old link]

hope this helps! smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

davidravensdadstranger
10 posts

Posted:
I am increasing my stretching to see how that works
Use the poi to give myself a massage????????
How??

David Demonja

davidravensdadstranger
10 posts

Posted:
I have to take my hat off to anyone in the martial arts community. I know I don't have the discipline.
What I am looking for are some exercise ideas that will help build up that specific muscle group.
I have learn that when some new hurts it is my body telling me I am doing something I need to pay close attention to.

David Demonja

davidravensdadstranger
10 posts

Posted:
Too fast????
That is something to pay attention to.

What I am getting is just a muscle ache in my upper shoulder after I have been spinning awhile. Especially if I am trying to spin high. I am really thinking it is just new to working out kind of aches. I am just wanting to make sure I pay attention. The greyer my beard gets the slower my body tends to heal.

David Demonja

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I use the poi just to whack the area that hurts. Just using one poi taking a bash at the muscle that is bothering me.

I don't think you really need to be worrying about building the muscle group... logically if it hurts, you ARE building it... if you wanted something more intensive, wouldn't that just hurt more? A lot of poi movements are taken from club swinging, a very old way of building muscle and flexibility.

My poi heads weigh 150g. I really enjoy this weight, personally.

Definitely slow down, slower spinning looks nicer and is much easier to get into the harder stuff. smile

Good luck!

hug

gherBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Like every other exercise, it's just something you get used to. I've been spinning staff for years and now consider it gentle exercise. I can do it all night. Poi on the other hand, I've just got the hang of recently. I used to get aches but they've gone away now. I still get tired after maybe half an hour, then I give up.

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
gher, try to reduce your speed

"the slower you [insert verb] the longer you last"
mate - that phrase is universally true.. for everything wink

ShionFire monkey
72 posts

Posted:
Nick's "skill toys and your health" video explains really well on this issue. should check this out for good way to care your choulder in order to avoid pain if you haven't seen this!

EDITED_BY: Shion (1236303332)

The force is strong with you

gherBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: duvangher, try to reduce your speed

"the slower you [insert verb] the longer you last"
mate - that phrase is universally true.. for everything wink

This too comes with practice. It's hard to slow anything down if you're not already familiar with it.

By the way, I would argue that martial arts forms with low stances would be more tiring performed slowly than quickly - but that's another topic for another forum.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
They are, until you are used to them.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland