LovoLord and Master
74 posts

Posted:
G'day guys!
Just wondering if it is possible to do more than 5 beats in one hand on staff?
I can do 5 beat forward and backwards no both hands and looking to do more.
Cheers!
Lovo

Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all follow the same dreams.
- unknown

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
*grabs staff*
*wrist snaps*

If we're talking a weave/reel I don't see any way of going above 4 beats, theres the usual 2 beat and then an additional beat on each end. How have you been fitting in the extra beat?

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

LovoLord and Master
74 posts

Posted:
i'll try and get a video up when i have the technology. But basically the last beat is kinda over the shoulder. I add one more beat from the front when doing a forwards weave or from the back when doing a backwards weave.

Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all follow the same dreams.
- unknown

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
honestly im not sure how many beats you can do with a staff.. but i would suggest this thread be moved to either of the staff tricks forums instead of social discussion..

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
hey Lovo - I'm moving this to beginners staff forum! smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
vids would be fabulous.

do you mean 6 equi-distant beats? that is, like a flower? or 6-bt, as in 1-bt, 2-bt, 4-bt weave etc, as per willworkforfoodjnr? cos with the flower, I don't think it's possible without some kinda turn; half turn, at the very least. oooh, hang on... maybe it is, by placing some of the beats behind you, on both sides. *plays some more with the cardboard poster tube under my desk*

on such things, I've been working on 5-bt flowers, on/off, and finally managed to suss the two-handed variety on monday evening; will try get a vid up soon, once I'm happy I've got it going relatively cleanly; I think it'll be pretty. smile

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

LovoLord and Master
74 posts

Posted:
thanks for moving it. Problem now is that i started it again in advanced staff, could you just delete it from there for me?

The 5th beat goes over your shoulder and is in very close to your body. And it's like the figure 8 weave which i call a 2 beat. With the 5 beat i mentioned i'm still not letting go of the staff and it's all staying on the one side.

- unknown

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
do what I don't... make a vid... grin

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'll ask sichainey because he puts extra spins in everywhere I know he puts in extra at the shoulder and 1.5 beats under the knee

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Ahhh, so you're kinda spinning right, right, left, left, more left... I likes smile

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
I swear there's a video floating around of Simian doing what he called triplespins, or your 6-beat weave... I'll go have a snoop around.

EDIT: Well, here's the thread [Old link] , but the link to the video is dead now, anyone still got it?
EDITED_BY: Mr_Joe (1228501204)

sichaineyBRONZE Member
enthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MynciI'll ask sichainey because he puts extra spins in everywhere I know he puts in extra at the shoulder and 1.5 beats under the knee

I got beats coming out my ass!!! not really sure what this 6 beat staff move is.... would need to see it, but yes you can add alot more beats than you think, just try playing with it and force an extra beat.
EDITED_BY: sichainey (1228586830)

NoiseyflowerBRONZE Member
Yell and scream all you like
53 posts

Posted:
6 Beat is definetly possible, I've been shownm how to do it but I want to master 5 beat backward first before I start learning that. I think its an extra spin behind the back when moving the staff down from off your shoulder.

LovoLord and Master
74 posts

Posted:
I think I may have managed to put in an extra spin by putting the staff between my pinky and ring finger at some stage in the twirling. Need camera for video... frown

- unknown

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Like adding a fingerspin, Lovo?

hug

LovoLord and Master
74 posts

Posted:
Not quite... I'll show this Sunday if you come.

- unknown